Wild Life Unbalanced?

Started by Gunnerblaster, January 07, 2009, 07:02:58 PM

I think the new wildlife is great and requires pc's to deal with alot more IC consideration about your sunbacking trip across the desert.. alone.. in a sandstorm.. with little to no experience on how to use their flashy new weapon. I was even cautious as fuck with my 60+ day ranger when riding through spider country and even being as careful as I was I remember a couple of times when riding alone was something I almost regretted. It's dangerous as shit in Zalanthas, riding alone ever from that oh so simple ride from tuluk to Luirs can prove death for even experienced players from time to time.

In addition, the new spiders are easier than the old ones and even though they're easier they're alot more fun and I wish more creatures had scripted features like that.

I think the only real issue, which has been an issue for as long as I've been playing is the track code. I wouldn't mind seeing a change where anything that procs a huntings beasts track code will only be pursued for X amount of rooms, maybe produced randomly on a 1d30 roll or something, or even as simple as until the next time change, where as if it was early morning when the tracking started when late morning rolled around it would quit. Seems as though that wouldn't he too hard to impliment, certain beasts triggered to reset at certain times in the day. I suppose that's another thread all together though.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Or...every time the beast "tracks" it has a 5% (or cumulative 1%) chance of dropping the track?  And then returns along the same route it came by, or at least to the same area?

It's actually the second part that interests me...territorial behavior is good and cool, especially if it doesn't always hold true.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

January 16, 2009, 12:18:59 PM #52 Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:21:46 PM by Gagula
Quote from: staggerlee on January 09, 2009, 02:43:05 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 09, 2009, 02:37:12 PM
A raptor followed me and a friend all the way into a bar once.  A whole IC day after we got there.

:D

So two noobs and a raptor walk into a bar...
  ;)

I don't know if I support a nerf to the npc tracking ability, even to balance it with pcs. A range cap or assigning it as a skill as with pcs could very thoroughly neuter their ability to actually pursue, and as it stands npcs already have a whole ton of disadvantages.

All in all I have mixed feelings about the subject. It would be nice if the behavior of wildlife was dynamic and interesting, but any changes to their code need to keep in mind that they behave in a very simple, predictable manner, have no memory, and are easily exploited. Which is just as well, otherwise they might end up doing something silly like building orbital weapons platforms.

That reminds me, gotta go get my sticky grenades from the merchant in Nak.....that'll show those raptors! ;D
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Speaking of bugs with the tracking command.  I have a story I want to share with everyone.

I had a character killed by a sandy-brown mantis (or something like that) a few years ago.  I didn't realize I had a large, heavy bag in my inventory and ended up fighting the mantis at a high encumberance.  Needless to say, my character didn't fight very well in that instance and was moderately wounded.  Anyway, I fled to the Mul outpost for some shelter and to recover.  Keep in miind that this outpost was guarded by both human and mul bandits who like it when travellers spend lots of coins there. 

Anyway, the mantis tracked my character all the way from where I was hunting them, walked into the mul outpost, tracked me through the outpost into a dark, underground room, and killed me there as I rested.  Aside from tracking me a considerable distance, the thing tracked me into an outpost of NPC's that probably didn't like mantis an awful lot, wasn't attacked by them, tracked me through the city somehow..., and saw me in the dark without aid of a light source (because NPC's have perfect vision i.e., I've had invisible characters spotted in complete darkness by NPC soldiers).  The whole thing sounds fishy and presents a whole host of bugs which should probably be investigated at some point.

So, I'm up for the chance that NPC's tracking characters will lose the trail by some probability and return from where they came.

I would like to see the animals take on territorial characteristics. In the past, I've had NPC creatures 'track' me down all the way up to the gates where they were spam killed. You would think that after ten to fifteen rooms or so, the creature would give up chase and begin hunting something else.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on January 22, 2009, 03:50:44 AM
I would like to see the animals take on territorial characteristics. In the past, I've had NPC creatures 'track' me down all the way up to the gates where they were spam killed. You would think that after ten to fifteen rooms or so, the creature would give up chase and begin hunting something else.

Agreed. I'd like to see the trail go 'cold' for tracking critters after a while. Or for them to give up once you've gone way out of their territory. Once you've managed to put oh, 5 or 10 rooms between where you encountered the beastie, they should decide they can't catch you and go back to where they were.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I noticed several complaining that it is too dangerous to solo outside of the gates.

All I can say is *BOGGLE*

You should not be leaving the gates solo. This isn't WoW.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: Dakkon Black on January 26, 2009, 01:33:10 PM
I noticed several complaining that it is too dangerous to solo outside of the gates.

All I can say is *BOGGLE*

You should not be leaving the gates solo. This isn't WoW.

Sometimes it's a choice of solo-RP inside the gates, or solo-RP outside the gates. I think it should be up to the individual what kind they would rather do. Telling people what game this isn't really doesn't lend much to this discussion.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Maybe I'm insanely lucky, but I haven't recently found this to be true.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 26, 2009, 05:45:52 PM

Noted.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Quote from: Shalooonsh on January 27, 2009, 11:20:54 AM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 26, 2009, 05:45:52 PM

Noted.

HAHAHA! Poor Brytta, hope you aren't too attached to your current PC.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

BTW Loon, one of your critters does not seem to be hiding anymore and the neat script that was with it seems to have gone as well...I miss it already.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

The script, for some reason, wasn't working correctly, so it was disabled rather than risk further player confusion.
From the rest of them.
And protected them.

Awwww, those things were fun! I want me some more.

The script is fixed.

And hungry.
From the rest of them.
And protected them.

Note that we have tested it, but you guys are far better testers than us.  If you see anything weird out of the wildlife mentioned above, please mail morgenes and cc mud.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

AWESOME.

I missed this.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Awesome, let's hope I don't die while testing!

Oh God. What've I done?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I wasn't aware this game was about balance.
your mother is an elf.

That wasn't what the OP was really about...

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 31, 2009, 12:20:38 AM
That wasn't what the OP was really about...

Do you think I read the thread~?!? jeeeeeez :)

Balance bothers me.
your mother is an elf.