What is considered bad RP?

Started by SMuz, January 05, 2009, 07:08:50 AM

The problem with coded sipping IMO is that there are some container items that will go from full to empty with one sip.  That is hardly realistic, and there is nothing wrong with emoting sipping from said containers rather than doing the coded sip or drink so that you don't chug it all down in one go.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Niamh on February 19, 2009, 06:42:50 PM
The problem with coded sipping IMO is that there are some container items that will go from full to empty with one sip.  That is hardly realistic, and there is nothing wrong with emoting sipping from said containers rather than doing the coded sip or drink so that you don't chug it all down in one go.

So ? Emote with an empty container. It doesnt mention <empty> in it's sdesc if you include it into an emote. I too agree that you should drink, if you emote doing it. I too have seen the overcautious people who gladly accept the drinks offered, emote drinking it, but fail to drink the real poisoned brew you made. Personally I think that's pretty twinky.

Quote from: Dar on February 19, 2009, 07:13:06 PM
So ? Emote with an empty container. It doesnt mention <empty> in it's sdesc if you include it into an emote. I too agree that you should drink, if you emote doing it. I too have seen the overcautious people who gladly accept the drinks offered, emote drinking it, but fail to drink the real poisoned brew you made. Personally I think that's pretty twinky.

'Course, it's possible that you missed their hemotes. ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I always say that hemote is if you want everyone in the room BUT your target to see something  :D
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Just bumping because I have a simple question:

Let's say, there's this hooded figure who absolutely refuses to take down his/her hood. Now I get plenty of time to look at them up and down because they're like there drinking tea and stuff, enough to realistically see the face as least, even with the lowered hood (I mean srsly, how can you hide your face under your hood like that?).

So, it is fine if I contact them to see the sdesc?
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Personally, I would try targetting potential keywords before resorting to waying to identify. So like..

The hooded figure is here.
This man has been hideously mutilated, to the point where most of his face and body is a mass of lumpy scars, with smooth flesh obscured by keloids. One eyeball is missing, and the lids sewn permanently shut. His right arm bears thousands of skin tags, each a brown pinch on burn-scorched flesh. And so on and so forth.

Now, hopefully, if the imms didn't let another one slip, this guy isn't sdesc'ed as "the tall thin male." Because that would be...32 flavors of cheating as far as I'm concerned and the imm who approves that sdesc needs to be tied to a waterboard and pelted with wet, al-dente lasagna noodles until he weeps.

Hopefully, if the player isn't trying to pull a fast one, the sdesc will -probably- have at least one of the following keywords in it: hideously, hideous, mutilated, man, scarred, lumpy, one-eyed, scorched.

I'd try emote glances at ~mutilated with a shudder or hemote catches a glimpse of %lumpy scorched flesh, and turns her gaze quickly away again

or something like that. Something that would let him know, IF any of those are keywords, that you noticed that he's deliciously disgusting. If they're not keywords, you'll get an error. If a few don't work, I'd shift to the "look lumpy's cloak" and "look scorched's ring" to rule out the next possibilities. If you try a few of the more obvious options and none of them work, then yeah I might consider waying as a last resort.

Truly, my opinion is that anyone who includes really awesome descriptions in their main description, and uses completely "other" words in their sdesc (or vice versa) is circumventing the whole point of having sdescs. It's so people can readily identify the -most noticeable things- about your character at a glance.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

..but.. what if he has one of those unpronounceable sdescs? Like half the cloaked ones always do. Good idea, though, but it only seems to work on newbies, who use simple things like "the tall, muscular man" and "the blonde, buxom female half-elf".
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

The answer to that is simple, then:

draw dagger
kill hooded
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.