Poison

Started by spawnloser, December 22, 2008, 04:01:56 PM

It would be nice for poison to give you a chance.  A character with Absolutely Incredible endurance should be able to survive one dose of the poison commonly known as fireblood, especially since this poison is so common.  I am not interested in discussing this.  I will not discuss this.  This is my opinion and nothing will change it.

That is all.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

December 22, 2008, 04:28:54 PM #2 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:35:33 AM by Olgaris
Quote from: manonfire on December 22, 2008, 04:03:30 PM
> eat tablet
Oh, you're so clever.  I would never have thought of that.

I also wouldn't assume that every character has the means to get ahold of those, like people in isolated clans/areas.  I also wouldn't assume that there's always going to be a physician character in every area crafting cures.  In the life of my character (10 days) I never saw one tablet available for sale or a character capable of crafting tablets in the place my character lived... ever.  Perhaps you shouldn't assume that every player/character is a twink that does things out of character just to ensure character lifespan.  Or maybe you should suggest to the staff (instead of suggesting that I do things that many players do but I don't because I am playing my character correctly while others twink out) that they make it possible to get cures without kissing another player's plump white/yellow/black/red behind?

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

For what it's worth (and without getting too IC), there is definitely at least one shop that regularly sells tablets, and it isn't in an isolated area. Ask around. :)

As well, physicians aren't the only ones who can craft tablets.

Quote from: Akoto on December 22, 2008, 04:32:27 PM
For what it's worth (and without getting too IC), there is definitely at least one shop that regularly sells tablets, and it isn't in an isolated area. Ask around. :)

As well, physicians aren't the only ones who can craft tablets.
I think you missed the point of my mentioning isolated people.  They are far from the shop you are thinking of, because the shop you are thinking of, as you mentioned, is not in an isolated area like those people.  It does them little good if the cures are sold in Allanak but they're in the middle of the nowhere.

Oh, and are you sure that the shop has those cures for sale before they're sold to the shop by a physician PC?

Finally, don't insult my intelligence by telling me that physicians aren't the only people that can brew tablets.  I was speaking generally.  I meant only that noone capable of brewing tablets was EVER seen by my character.  I know well who can brew them.

December 22, 2008, 04:41:08 PM #5 Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:43:25 PM by Akoto
Right. Next time, I'll keep my mouth shut and not try to be helpful. By the way, yes, I am sure the shop has cures and Nak's not what I was thinking of.

Quote from: Akoto on December 22, 2008, 04:41:08 PM
Right. Next time, I'll keep my mouth shut and not try to be helpful.
You're speaking with an obviously pissed off person and you're giving inane, advice?  Then you get upset because I say I don't want/need your advice?  I obviously don't care who can make cures or where cures are sold or if they are sold.

My point, if you go back to my first post and read it, is that someone with an AI endurance gets one dose of a COMMON poison and dies?  F'ing ridiculous.  That's what I'm talking about.  Nothing else.  Anyone trying to give me advice can suck it.  I'm sorry, but I know everything you're going to tell me.  Trust me on this.  I don't want help.  I am trying to spark discussion amongst the rest of you about the validity of the hardiest, toughest person alive dying to a poison that can be found by anyone and their kid sister.

Well, I won't offer any advice. I have none to offer. That makes me one of "the rest of you." And to that end, my contribution to this "discussion" you're "trying to spark up" is as follows:

Awwww, too bad.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

December 22, 2008, 04:58:35 PM #9 Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:08:56 PM by spawnloser
@manonfire:  I'm not discussing the point I brought up, actually.  I'm telling you to stop trying to talk to me about a completely different issue.  I'm telling you all to stop responding as if I'm as big a noob as the people responding.  See, it's like saying I won't discuss the color purple... and people start trying to tell me about orange and I tell them I didn't say anything about orange, talk about purple.  I won't discuss it, but I want everyone else to.

Additionally, see, what you did is called a distraction and doesn't add to anything.  If you're just going to try to ridicule someone because you have nothing better to do, why not try masturbation instead?  It's a lot more relaxing and reduces the spam-quotient.

@Lizzie:  What makes you one of the 'rest of you' isn't that you have no advice, but that you're not discussing the issue I brought up... that a COMMON AS DIRT poison can kill someone tougher than nails.  As for your last line, there, read above what I said to manonfire in my second paragraph.

December 22, 2008, 05:09:16 PM #10 Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:15:57 PM by Shalooonsh
This thread is now about Goldeneye.

Shalooonsh:  No, it's not.

Continue discussion.

Or you could try not being a complete dick?  I don't know, you might find it a pleasant change.

Keep it civil, or I pull out the twit wand.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

For someone who's not discussing it, you're sure discussing the hell out of it.

I agree, though. I'd like to see a lower-tier set of poisons introduced which are less lethal to take the place of the current 'lowest-level' poisons. Two of those lowest-level poisons are very, very lethal. The effect of one of them (vomiting) is definitely kind of ridiculous if you trigger it by, say, accidentally swallowing a gulp of sewage, which really shouldn't kill you either.

I'm sorry you lost a character, that's always kind of hard. Especially to something like poisons.

I recall getting bloodburn back in the long ago days (over four years ago) and having my hp go down to -4 hp, I think...then it went away. I managed to survive with that character. I can't speak about circumstances now because I have not encountered such things since my return and much of the game has been change in my absence.

I did lose a character to another poison once. No fun.

Frankly, I still think them's the breaks. Sometimes ginka just takes you out, whether or not your stats rock.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: spawnloser on December 22, 2008, 04:28:54 PM
Or maybe you should suggest to the staff (instead of suggesting that I do things that many players do but I don't because I am playing my character correctly while others twink out) that they make it possible to get cures without kissing another player's plump white/yellow/black/red behind?

The shop that is in a non-isolated place which sells cures which are not made by PC physicians (meaning the shop does indeed always have cures in stock) was the result of player action. I saw a need, I filled a need. So I'm suggesting that a suggestion to take this to the staff isn't necessarily the answer; players can fix this part of the problem IC.

As to the other part of the problem, I don't have anything useful to offer about the lethality of poisons.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Never argue with someone on the GDB who just lost their character:  all that time they would've been playing is now spent goaltending their posts.

On topic:  I agree that endurance has too little effect on poison resistance.

My pet peeve:  It should be virtually impossible to successfully poison a half-giant without having them down an entire barrel full of terradin-laced brew, or injecting them with an entire cilops' gland's worth of poison.  A half-giant can weigh up to slightly over a ton...there's no reason why the same dosage that would stop an elf who weighs 130 lbs. with sand in his pockets should stop a half-giant that has 10-15 times more body mass.

Another peeve:  dwarven poison resistance?  What?  Actually implement that code, or get rid of that snippet from the docs.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Interesting.

>poison knife leaf
>throw knife templar

Also, I've had characters survive generic poison before.  In fact, all of mine have survived from that poison.  Maybe you're just failing your saving throws?  Did you have nosave on?

Or perhaps your character was drunk.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on December 22, 2008, 05:59:57 PM
Also, I've had characters survive generic poison before.  In fact, all of mine have survived from that poison.  Maybe you're just failing your saving throws?  Did you have nosave on?

Or perhaps your character was drunk.
Yes, I'd like the take mansa's side here and think there was something else involved with your characters death from poison. I have also recently lost a character to poison, but it was magickal poison, so I suppose I wasn't suppose to resist it.  :-\
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Synthesis on December 22, 2008, 05:29:34 PM
My pet peeve:  It should be virtually impossible to successfully poison a half-giant without having them down an entire barrel full of terradin-laced brew, or injecting them with an entire cilops' gland's worth of poison.  A half-giant can weigh up to slightly over a ton...there's no reason why the same dosage that would stop an elf who weighs 130 lbs. with sand in his pockets should stop a half-giant that has 10-15 times more body mass.

No. Assume that a skilled taint tyrant knows how to appropriately dose the varied races; it's what they do.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

December 22, 2008, 06:19:54 PM #20 Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:25:58 PM by X-D
I for one have always wished the poison code was a bit more robust rather then standard diku on or off and simple scripts.  First, though some poisons should be fast acting, none should be instant. Same for the cures.

I would love if endurance actually played a noticable roll in how they act as well, other then "think Do I have enough HP to survive this?" There are no "instant" blood born poisons IRL, even some of the most powerful injected directly into an artery will take a minute or so to act.

The one called blood burn for instance, should act (IMO) like a fever for instance. have a beginning, lead up, peak, cooldown and ending. (as should all of them) How long each section lasts should be directly dependant on size and end and maybe race. Lets face it, an AI end HG should NOT feel the same affects from a human sized dose as a human should. It should take longer to peak, peak lower but take much longer to be fully rid of.

And a cure should not just instantly end the effects either, it should instead just stop advancing affects and increase the speed of cooldown and ending.

And you know, with the amazing coders and script writers we have right now, who are able to take on larger projects of less importance and utility (no matter how snazzy they are Ness/shal and company) It really should not be too hard to do.

Oh, and this...
QuoteAnother peeve:  dwarven poison resistance?  What?  Actually implement that code, or get rid of that snippet from the docs.

Yes, please, one or the other.

And Ampere, Fine, then impliment that as well, you want to poison a half-giant with an arrow, have it so you have to  ep and hold 2 poison items or brew several into a heavy duty poison. because ATM, the amount is exactly the same. There should be no grey area in this part I think. A half0giant eats more, drinks more and even has to spend massive amounts of coin just to get a ten sid pair of gloves to fit him, why should an assassin have to only spend the same amount of poison on him as he would a halfling?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Poison is out of whack.  I'd love to see what the other 50 or so players that I see on during rpt have to say about this, though.  Post you elusive fellows, post!

It would be nice if you could actually set the dosage when you poison your weapons.

If you plan on bringing down a half-giant/inix/mekillot, you should have to use two or three times the number of poisoning items.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 22, 2008, 06:28:12 PM
It would be nice if you could actually set the dosage when you poison your weapons.

If you plan on bringing down a half-giant/inix/mekillot, you should have to use two or three times the number of poisoning items.

Let's take it a step further. Poisoning the critter you're taking down will in turn have a chance of poisoning the meat, ruining it.

I'm not sure I'm fond of your idea, though I understand it and agree it makes sense from a logistical standpoint. Half-giants are larger, and thus would require a larger dosage.

One thing I don't understand is how a simple taste/sip of a poisoned object will almost always (if not 100% of the time) poison you, yet a poisoned arrow/knife has a chance of not poisoning you.

I also thing it'd be awesome if poisons like peraine did not take immediate effect. Rather, your muscles began restricting in your appendages, slowing your movement, before paralyzing you altogether. It'd at least give you time to pop a cure in your mouth in an attempt to stop it. After effects would be limited range/movement with heavy delays to roleplay that stiff leg of yours.

December 22, 2008, 06:38:47 PM #24 Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:41:33 PM by Ampere
Quote from: Synthesis on December 22, 2008, 06:28:12 PM

If a dart carries enough poison to bring down a human, I don't see why a knife wouldn't be sufficient for a giant.

It would be nice to have a coded means available to appropriately dose weapons; but I fear everyone would just use the maximum dose anyway. Another problem is that most weapons grade poisons are excessive in their quantity.  Perhaps that enormous sack of neurotoxin could be used on more than just the one throwing knife?
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)