The Derth of Master Crafters

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, November 11, 2008, 10:04:47 AM

Boy I gotta say, all this talk about how GMHs should back off, and how there aren't any good GMH leaders and that's why no one wants to join the clans, would really REALLY encourage me to log in and lead my clan. It's just so heartwarming to hear players tell each other that they suck at something they've invested hours and hours and hours of IC and OOC time into doing..and I'm sure the staff is overjoyed and thrilled to tears at the insult that their judgement in PICKING those leaders can't be trusted.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Lizzie makes a good point.

Also, I think pressure on independents has so much potential for both GMH players and indie merchants.  No, it doesn't have to be about crushing the competition as a first option.  Conflict makes the Known World go 'round.  Besides, indie merchants having an unobstructed path to wealth is boring.

As a side note, I think the game has had a serious problem with indie wealth, or perhaps just wealth in general.  But that's a whole other topic, and we're already teetering at the far reaches of the original one.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: flurry on December 01, 2008, 06:38:50 PM

Also, I think pressure on independents has so much potential for both GMH players and indie merchants.  No, it doesn't have to be about crushing the competition as a first option.  Conflict makes the Known World go 'round.  Besides, indie merchants having an unobstructed path to wealth is boring.

As a side note, I think the game has had a serious problem with indie wealth, or perhaps just wealth in general.  But that's a whole other topic, and we're already teetering at the far reaches of the original one.

Unfortunately Flurry, there are a few people who are more than happy to post all the possible things people -could- do in game, instead of keeping quiet and DOING them. And all the possible consequences have already been detailed right here on the GDB...and all the possible outcomes of those consequences have already been gone over..

So, what's the point of logging in and playing a GMH clan leader again, if all the possible future plotlines have already been done here on the GDB? Someone remind me.

Quote from: Lizzie on December 01, 2008, 06:45:52 PM
Quote from: flurry on December 01, 2008, 06:38:50 PM

Unfortunately Flurry, there are a few people who are more than happy to post all the possible things people -could- do in game, instead of keeping quiet and DOING them. And all the possible consequences have already been detailed right here on the GDB...and all the possible outcomes of those consequences have already been gone over..

So, what's the point of logging in and playing a GMH clan leader again, if all the possible future plotlines have already been done here on the GDB? Someone remind me.

Um, I can think of at least 5 things off the top of my head that were not mentioned here.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

(clipped all the stuff he was quoting to highlight his post by itself)

Quote from: Malken on December 01, 2008, 04:25:57 PM
...(clip to his idea)
A drastic need would be needed.. Like shops suddenly stop buying any finished goods, independant merchants should just be able to sell parts that are needed in those finished goods.

Like, in a Kadius shop, you should only be able to sell moonstone buttons and obsidian buckles, you shouldn't be able to sell silky dresses and fancy hats.

Same with Salarr, you should only be able to sell them wooden hilts and leather straps, not obsidian breastplates and such.

There, I solved the problem.

I could get behind this idea, although, I think it would be appropriate to allow GMH NPCs to allow buybacks of their own product. Since GMH PCs aren't allowed to sell to those shops anyway, you'll have that assurance that the item -was- paid for by someone, and that money went to that GMH. So they're really only returning a portion of what was originally paid out. I would add also, that no GMH NPC should be buying filthy, smelly, used, cracked, or stained ANYTHING.  I just can't understand why they do, I feel it is a huge oversight in the code and should be fixed. That's what the "lesser shops" are for.

I also feel that shops that sell only certain types of things, shouldn't buy other types of things. Like, a shop that sells only weapons and armor, should not buy silk.

December 01, 2008, 09:21:18 PM #130 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:24:13 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Lizzie on December 01, 2008, 06:26:49 PM
Boy I gotta say, all this talk about how GMHs should back off, and how there aren't any good GMH leaders and that's why no one wants to join the clans, would really REALLY encourage me to log in and lead my clan. It's just so heartwarming to hear players tell each other that they suck at something they've invested hours and hours and hours of IC and OOC time into doing..and I'm sure the staff is overjoyed and thrilled to tears at the insult that their judgement in PICKING those leaders can't be trusted.

You can't have a healthy discussion board if you don't want to see any criticism. Also, you seem to be taking it personally. If you're playing a GMH leader right now, remember the discussion isn't all about -you-.
Lunch makes me happy.

December 01, 2008, 09:28:11 PM #131 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:31:56 PM by Salt Merchant
A drastic need would be needed.. Like shops suddenly stop buying any finished goods, independant merchants should just be able to sell parts that are needed in those finished goods.

Like, in a Kadius shop, you should only be able to sell moonstone buttons and obsidian buckles, you shouldn't be able to sell silky dresses and fancy hats.

Same with Salarr, you should only be able to sell them wooden hilts and leather straps, not obsidian breastplates and such.

So you're either proposing that -everyone- not be able to, for example, sell a sword to Salarr, or that the shopkeeper somehow magically distinguishes between guild merchant characters and the rest? Neither option sounds that good.

Why should it be a problem for Salarr to buy a crafter-made weapon at 25 coins when it then turns around and lists it at 80 coins (and in principle sells some at that price) anyhow?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on December 01, 2008, 09:28:11 PM

So you're either proposing that -everyone- not be able to, for example, sell a sword to Salarr, or that the shopkeeper somehow magically distinguishes between guild merchant characters and the rest? Neither option sounds that good.

Why should it be a problem for Salarr to buy a crafter-made weapon at 25 coins when it then turns around and lists it at 80 coins (and in principle sells some at that price) anyhow?

I'm done with this thread, I tried to think of a way to fix the broken economy system of Armageddon, but this gave me a bigger headache than when I tried to think about what was before there ever was anything in the Universe.

Good luck.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I can't believe I just spent the last ... I don't know catching myself up on this thread.
In some cases the GDB is an amazing tool like when everyone is thinking of realistic changes, or solutions.
Other times I see a bunch of overly critical people who don't even play anymore. Not helping, but just shooting down everyone elses ideas.

I wonder why the Byn works so well even during slumps when the leaders are not overworking themselves like you expect them to do?
I always thought of the Byn as a merchant house that deals bodies for jobs, instead of wares like the Merchant houses. I could just be oober noob, but does the Byn have problems with indie mercenaries taking it all for themselves?

I personally like watching virtual economies and markets go crazy. I don't know what it is but it feels real I suppose.
What if indies do under sell and crash the merchant house? Or the Merchant house slaughters indies by the thousands? As long as it follows ICly it's cool in my mind.
In this case I would like to take away the houses monopolies and coded invulnerability and just play it out. If a house has a lame leader and everyone quits cool. The house crashes just like it would IRL. I guess I may not be accounting for the vNPC that would loyally stick with the house and keep it alive.

[/my two cents]

Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

Quote from: Lizzie on December 01, 2008, 09:16:09 PM
I also feel that shops that sell only certain types of things, shouldn't buy other types of things. Like, a shop that sells only weapons and armor, should not buy silk.

This should already be the case.  If there are shopkeepers that do not follow this precept, please 'bug' them in game.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Unfortunately I can't bug it because I"m nowhere near it. It's been like that for over a year and it has been brought to the staff's attention in the past. I'll send an e-mail.