Link Loss and going IDLE

Started by mansa, October 29, 2008, 12:27:05 PM

There's already alot of quit safe rooms out there. Honestly, no matter what's happening in your RL, if you don't have the knowledge of surviving in an harsh environment such as a ranger, you should be hosed if you have to log out on the silt sea. Journeying outside the city must remain perilous.

Quote from: mansa on November 03, 2008, 03:23:44 PM
For those who think 20 is too short...

Go to a tavern, and sit down, and time 20 seconds.

Is it too short?  Perhaps.  But I would never want to wait longer than 1 minute.

Dude, it takes 20 seconds for most people just to compose a suitable talk emote.  And the combat timer is well over a minute.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 03, 2008, 04:37:44 PM
Quote from: mansa on November 03, 2008, 03:23:44 PM
For those who think 20 is too short...

Go to a tavern, and sit down, and time 20 seconds.

Is it too short?  Perhaps.  But I would never want to wait longer than 1 minute.

Dude, it takes 20 seconds for most people just to compose a suitable talk emote.  And the combat timer is well over a minute.

I'm willing to concede for 60 seconds for a "quit now" fuction.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I saw someone mention a 10-15 minute Auto-log out timer. I think that's adequate enough.

As it is, Armageddon is a tough game. -Anyone- could leave their computer for more than 20 seconds to go run and get something. Doesn't help to return to constantly having to log in. And, honestly, it would get pretty tiresome to have someone logging in and out just because they have to run and take a piss while someone else in the room is making an important announcement.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I only support the fifteen or twenty minute in-room log out feature in the desert or other forms of wilderness, where quit rooms are hard to come by.  I don't support it in the middle of a city or other area where quit rooms occur every ten squares or so.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

I like the way this thread is going.  My option, and one that you may or may not agree with.  Would be to enable and instant quit out for non-rangers.  Face it, people who abuse it, are going to be reported, and the staff will come down on them, it's not much an argument as to why not to do it.  All of the arguments I've seen before dictate realism, and I personally say screw realism when it comes to playability.

My option would be this.  For non-rangers you have an instant quitout, not just quit, a special command.  And a disclaimer that pops off: Type quotout now! if you really wish to proceed and quit, you will not be able to log back in for 30 minutes after doing this.  Personally I think a 30 minute lock on an account would dissuade people from abusing this, give people a chance who -really- need to get the fuck out, the chance they need, and by time they got back, the timer would be off anyway.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Yesterday, my computer crashed when my character was at a place and he could loose his life very easily.
It would be really lame if that happened, and currently, there is no way to prevent it. 

Quote from: FightClub on November 13, 2008, 07:01:13 AM
I like the way this thread is going.  My option, and one that you may or may not agree with.  Would be to enable and instant quit out for non-rangers.  Face it, people who abuse it, are going to be reported, and the staff will come down on them, it's not much an argument as to why not to do it.  All of the arguments I've seen before dictate realism, and I personally say screw realism when it comes to playability.

My option would be this.  For non-rangers you have an instant quitout, not just quit, a special command.  And a disclaimer that pops off: Type quotout now! if you really wish to proceed and quit, you will not be able to log back in for 30 minutes after doing this.  Personally I think a 30 minute lock on an account would dissuade people from abusing this, give people a chance who -really- need to get the fuck out, the chance they need, and by time they got back, the timer would be off anyway.

I like this except for the 30 minute lock out. On rangers I will log out to just do things like use the bathroom or get a drink... I wouldn't like having to wait to play again just because I'm about to piss myself or die of thirst.

Quote from: Winterless on November 13, 2008, 08:29:03 AM
Quote from: FightClub on November 13, 2008, 07:01:13 AM

I like this except for the 30 minute lock out. On rangers I will log out to just do things like use the bathroom or get a drink... I wouldn't like having to wait to play again just because I'm about to piss myself or die of thirst.

I'd prefer to make you piss yourself, then be locked out for 30 minutes while you clean up.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I agree whole heartedly with quit anywhere.  It makes no sense that the ranger class has an ooc perk (the ability to quit outdoors)  Seriously. No sense at all.

Quote from: UnderSeven on November 13, 2008, 04:16:43 PM
I agree whole heartedly with quit anywhere.  It makes no sense that the ranger class has an ooc perk (the ability to quit outdoors)  Seriously. No sense at all.

Seriously? No sense? How else would you have the code support a class that is supposed to be able to pick turf and live there with out any interaction with more civilized folk? Sure there's quit rooms out there...but what if my ranger's chosen turf doesn't have one? Then I have to break character to go find a quit room outside of my chosen lands.

Check out some of the DarkSun docs on their ranger class and you'll see that they're more like non-magical druids rather than fighters, and druids (if present in Zalanthas) would need that wilderness quit perk too. It makes perfect sense.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Rangers are men of the desert.

It would make less sense if they -couldn't- set up a camp and quit outdoors.

Rangers are the only class who should ever even come close to feeling safe and at home in the wastes, and wilderness quit reflects that.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 13, 2008, 07:09:47 PM

Great, so we've proved that rangers should. Can we prove that others shouldn't?
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on November 13, 2008, 07:10:50 PM

Great, so we've proved that rangers should. Can we prove that others shouldn't?

Sure

Rangers are the only class who should ever even come close to feeling safe and at home in the wastes, and wilderness quit reflects that.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

This is a game.
I need to log out, and it shouldn't kill my character.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on November 13, 2008, 07:59:06 PM
This is a game.

Quoted for truth. Shit, what if I'm out 30 rooms from the nearest quit room I (as a -player-) know about, out in the middle of nowhere, grebbing. Then a sandstorm stirs up. I (as a player) can't quit out, even despite a wicked thunderstorm outside that's about to knock my (as a player['s]) power out. Or despite the fact that <insert any number of perfectly good ooc reasons to _QUIT_, an OOC THING>. Because my CHARACTER is not a ranger? That is totally penalizing anyone who isn't a ranger on an ooc level for an IC thing, like their character's guild.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I support quitting anywhere for any guild.

It's a game. Quitting is an entirely OOC thing. It's not about your character "feeling comfortable in the wilderness." It's about you, the player, needing to stop playing the game for OOC reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with your PC's wilderness knowledge.

The game should be hard for the PCs struggling to survive in the environment, not hard for the players behind them. Armageddon is very user-unfriendly as it is.

If you're afraid people are going to run around in the wilderness and quit out when your PC is chasing them, then file a complaint once it happens. There's still a quit timer after combat anyhow, so they won't be able to quit out to escape if you've actually engaged them.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: mansa on November 13, 2008, 07:59:06 PM
This is a game.

Then don't put your character in a siuation in which he would die if you suddeny had to leave.

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 16, 2008, 02:04:26 PM
Quote from: Rhyden on November 14, 2008, 03:58:58 AM
I think the real question is:

Why are there not more weathered storm rangers and dirty dune traders to guide common folk across the perilous desert so that we can avoid those
Quote from: Cerelum
You say, out of character:
     "Are you kidding me?"
sort of situations.

TAKE. A. RANGER.

Seriously, this kind of shit is your own fault. I've never seen it go from clear to unnavigable save for a certain area that's coded different (but even then after a few minutes it goes right back to where it was.). If you're leaving the city when it's not clear or staying out as the weather starts to get worse then it's your own damn fault. I never leave the city if I can't see more than two rooms away, and if I can only see two rooms away and the wind starts to pick up I take my ass home immediately.

Moral of the story: Keep your non-ranger ass in the city if the weather's not clear or TAKE. A. RANGER.

Edit to add: Yall keep saying that quitting is an OOC thing being affected by IG conditions. But your in that situation in the first place because you ignored IG conditions to start with. Careful planning is the most important part of any desert trip and most people ignore it.

If you die while linkdead, or when you have been idle greater than 1 hour, please notify the staff. You can email me directly if you like. I'd like to find out how often this happens and would like to find ways to make it stop happening.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Autologouts for link loss characters after 15 minutes of linkloss?
Autologouts for idle characters who have not typed anything after 15 minutes.

Quit-now feature with a 1 minute countdown. If someone targets you or you type anything you will not log out.
Quit safe rooms / rangers have no change.

Please?  I'll pay 50 bucks for this!

Quote from: mansa on November 16, 2008, 08:41:52 PM
Autologouts for link loss characters after 15 minutes of linkloss?
Autologouts for idle characters who have not typed anything after 15 minutes.

This I could almost get behind. Shit does happen.
Connection went to crap.
Power went out.
House caught on fire.
Police are at door. <-- My personal favirot  >:(
Forgot to pay internet/power bill

Quote from: mansa on November 16, 2008, 08:41:52 PM
Quit-now feature with a 1 minute countdown. If someone targets you or you type anything you will not log out.

This is not long enough, make it 15 minutes like the other suggestions and then I could kind of see it. Like you -can- build a camp without being a ranger it should just take a ridiculous long time.

I mean, there are 2 separate issues here.
1.Dieing because you went LD and it could not be helped. That sucks and I could agree with some way to help.
2.Dieing because you went out, got lost, and need to leave/sleep/eat/shit. Well that's your own fault and as it has been so eloquently put before me, hosed.

And I'd almost rather it be a 30 minute timer, to help prevent abuse and such.
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

fourTwenty:

In 15 minutes, you can walk to a quit safe room.

Sometimes, you need to log out -now-.

Can you convince me on how there is potential for abuse?  I don't see it.

Why not just have a linkdead timer of X time? That way, when you absolutely, positively must go, you just drop link. The game logs you out in that room X minutes later.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on November 16, 2008, 09:31:17 PM
Why not just have a linkdead timer of X time? That way, when you absolutely, positively must go, you just drop link. The game logs you out in that room X minutes later.

I like this idea. Maybe a 10 minute timer after dropping your connection or something like that.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: mansa on November 16, 2008, 09:25:00 PM
fourTwenty:

In 15 minutes, you can walk to a quit safe room.

Sometimes, you need to log out -now-.

Can you convince me on how there is potential for abuse?  I don't see it.

You know what, your right. We don't really need a quit-now command at all. If you need to log out -now- there are only a few reasons you shouldn't be able to make it to a quit room (only 1 reason I can think of actually but I'm sure there are more). But if for some reason you need to log out -now- just kill your connection and hope nobody ganks you in the 15 minutes your waiting.

Besides, it's not unheard of to 

wish all Aww, crap. I'm terribly lost in a sandstorm, have been for hours and have to go to work now. Can somebody -please- quit my PC out

and it be granted, Just don't make it a habit.