Link Loss and going IDLE

Started by mansa, October 29, 2008, 12:27:05 PM

Hi,

I think that the game should automatically log out characters if they go idle for 15 minutes.

Every other game does that. 

I think it will prevent people from dying due to starvation when their player falls asleep / forgets to shut down / problems with link.

Every other game does that.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

This is already in the works for 2.arm, but for what 'tis worth, I agree.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I agree as well... also for the reason I hate seeing certain PCs in rather popular spots for RL days on end just LDing it up.  Kills me a little inside each time.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: FuSoYa on October 29, 2008, 12:51:48 PM
I agree as well... also for the reason I hate seeing certain PCs in rather popular spots for RL days on end just LDing it up.  Kills me a little inside each time.

Brandon

I find that if you kill them on the outside, it helps.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

In a game where time is your most important statistic, and it continues to accrue when you have a loss of link, I think this would be brilliant.

I get very suspicious when I see "long lived" characters regularly spending "time" in the game at 4am without a person at the helm.

Even more suspicious when they go LD a room away from gortok spawns with their sparring weapons out all night long.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

Quote from: LittleLostThief on October 29, 2008, 09:01:57 PM
In a game where time is your most important statistic, and it continues to accrue when you have a loss of link, I think this would be brilliant.

I get very suspicious when I see "long lived" characters regularly spending "time" in the game at 4am without a person at the helm.

Even more suspicious when they go LD a room away from gortok spawns with their sparring weapons out all night long.

Has that seriously happend before?

Lol. I'm surprised staff wouldn't notice.

Quote from: LittleLostThief on October 29, 2008, 09:01:57 PM

Are you suggesting that they're sparring with gortoks while LD?  That doesn't seem like a very good way to ensure longevity. 
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I also think that you should be able to quit _anywhere_, with a 20 second timer that count downs for you.

And if you quit out in a quit area, you don't have the 20 second timer.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on October 30, 2008, 11:17:47 PM
I also think that you should be able to quit _anywhere_, with a 20 second timer that count downs for you.

And if you quit out in a quit area, you don't have the 20 second timer.

This thing exactly. Not in combat of course, but seriously, having to go LD because you took your nonranger outside the gates and got stuck in a sandstorm sucks. Sometimes you need to go, for work, for thunderstorms, for all kinds of reasons. It's a horribly inconvenient thing. I am all for having all rooms as quit rooms.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I love it when people go linkdead for so long they practically become furniture in the room. I use those people as coatracks.
Tellah: You spoony bard!
Bard: No, wait!
Tellah: Die!

I would have said 5-10 minutes, but I do like the idea.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 31, 2008, 11:44:46 AM

I agree with mansa, but require Brytta's timer, or more. I love the way you have to go to a tavern or a quit-safe room right now. I absolutely do. I'm a masochistic SOB , though, and I know it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'd like to see more quit rooms. 

However.  I'm absolutely against having people pop in and out of the world willy nilly.  That would be jarring, confusing and have enormous potential for abuse.    I like that you have to find somewhere safe and quiet to log out, rather than having people log out in vaults, on rooftops, on a salt flat, in the middle of the street or half way down a cliff.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

I don't mind people needing to have quit rooms in the city, as opposed to popping in and out wily nily, but I agree that the desert situation can really suck.   Particularly on people with spotty connections, or RL things beyond their control.  I once had to run and do something for my job while my character was in the desert (at this point I had been lost for something like two hours, much longer than I'd planned to spend on playing) and he ended up rather dead.  I'd seen it coming though, but still, it was disappointing not to get to gasp out his final words.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on October 31, 2008, 01:22:42 PM
I don't mind people needing to have quit rooms in the city, as opposed to popping in and out wily nily, but I agree that the desert situation can really suck.   Particularly on people with spotty connections, or RL things beyond their control.  I once had to run and do something for my job while my character was in the desert (at this point I had been lost for something like two hours, much longer than I'd planned to spend on playing) and he ended up rather dead.  I'd seen it coming though, but still, it was disappointing not to get to gasp out his final words.

My solution to this would be two fold:

1)  More quit spots.  Holes in the ground, lone trees that provide shade, big rocks to hide behind... things that can be crudely called shelter or land marks and provide some comfort.

2)  Make tents quit spots.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 31, 2008, 12:39:22 PM

I agree with mansa, but require Brytta's timer, or more. I love the way you have to go to a tavern or a quit-safe room right now. I absolutely do. I'm a masochistic SOB , though, and I know it.

With that timer, you can probably walk back to a city and quit out normally.

And who is going to type quit, and then wait 5 minutes to log out.  5 minutes will seem like 5 hours.  Even 1 minute will seem long.   5 seconds of nothing on the radio is DEATH to the station.  A good timer is 20 seconds.  You could do it like WoW and have the user cancel the quit if they type -anything-.

The whole point is to allow any user to stop playing when they want, and allow their character to be "safe" without being killed when they must get off the computer.

Quote from: mansa on October 31, 2008, 03:41:03 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 31, 2008, 12:39:22 PM

With that timer, you can probably walk back to a city and quit out normally.

And who is going to type quit, and then wait 5 minutes to log out.  5 minutes will seem like 5 hours.  Even 1 minute will seem long.   5 seconds of nothing on the radio is DEATH to the station.  A good timer is 20 seconds.  You could do it like WoW and have the user cancel the quit if they type -anything-.

The whole point is to allow any user to stop playing when they want, and allow their character to be "safe" without being killed when they must get off the computer.

Bah.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I hate to sound callous, but if something comes up in real life that forces you to be unable to take 10 minutes to find a nearby quit-safe room, then perhaps worrying about your character should be last on your mind.

I'm of the opinion that if you -do- need to do something, send a wish up and tell the staff that you need to go immediately, some sort of emergency, and see if they can purge you from the world. Would that be easier than imposing some new code for quitting out anywhere for those not as Rangers?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I would have loved this feature two years ago.

Yes please.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

How about a "camp" command with a 15 minute timer that allows non-rangers to quit in the wild?

For those times when you just HAVE to go... you can start camping and drop link and hope for the best.

With a long wait time it would be hard to abuse it if you're being hunted.  Any kind of action should break your timer.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

Littlelostthief totally hit it on the head, have some type of timer for quitting and finding a good spot to hunker down when you're not a ranger.  This way if you're trapped by a sandstorm or something else, you can type quit, go do whatever you gotta do and provided you're not attacked or otherwise molested in the timer, you quit out.

Jarod

Quote from: Riev on October 31, 2008, 08:58:11 PM
I hate to sound callous, but if something comes up in real life that forces you to be unable to take 10 minutes to find a nearby quit-safe room, then perhaps worrying about your character should be last on your mind.

Sometimes, it takes a lot longer than ten minutes to find a quit safe room.  I re-emphasize that once I got lost in the desert for two+ hours.  I honestly thought I had plenty of time on the character, since I like to plan on quitting out about half an hour before I actually have to go do something, but with move drain and having to rest/rest mounts.. getting lost in the desert can be severely time consuming.  Much more time consuming than ten minutes, even.

I know there are ways to avoid it, but I wouldn't even mind having to wait fifteen minutes for my character to set up a camp so that I know he at least has a slim chance of survival if I absolutely MUST vacate the premises RIGHT NOW because my house is burning down.  A lot of 'must quit now' situations suck enough without having your character die on top of them.

There aren't always staffers to be able to respond to a wish, particularly if you play heavily offpeak.

In short, I like the idea, with limitations.  I think twenty seconds is way too short.

The Chosen

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on November 03, 2008, 12:22:37 PM
... with move drain and having to rest/rest mounts.. getting lost in the desert can be severely time consuming.  Much more time consuming than ten minutes, even.

And if there's a sandstorm, you're just hosed.

My reason for the relatively longish timer, btw, is so that it's difficult to desert-quit fast enough to avoid someone stalking you.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Someone stalking you, or trying to quit in a room next to an Evilly Bad Creature spawn, or any number of reasons.  The twenty seconds suggested by someone else is just too short a period for a character to set up a camp or anything of that nature.

Furthermore, I'd like it if your ldesc was changed to something like :

The tall, muscular man is setting up camp here.

So that folks know that you are probably not even there, should they happen to come across you in the desert while the lag on that command is going down.  Or, maybe not, since folks might try to take advantage of that to kill your AFK ass.  Hmmmm.

The Chosen

For those who think 20 is too short...

Go to a tavern, and sit down, and time 20 seconds.

Is it too short?  Perhaps.  But I would never want to wait longer than 1 minute.