Top reasons I play Armageddon.

Started by FantasyWriter, October 05, 2008, 04:20:35 PM

October 05, 2008, 04:20:35 PM Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:38:32 PM by FantasyWriter
#1  The player base.  You guys are awesome, even though I love to hate you sometimes. ;)

#2  The GDB (very much having to do with #1).  With the exception of the occasional flaming, we all get along remarkably well for such a large group with such varied backgrounds, beliefs, ethicisties, national origins, etc.  We talk about anything and everything, from politics, to religion, the sex, to relationships, and ocassionally even the game that brought us together.

#3  APMs.  If you've never made it to one, you are missing out, and there is no way you can know how awesome they are.

#4  The Staff.  Despite the fact that we want to throttle them half the time, they work their butts of for free to make the game as good as it is.  And despite all our bitching, cursing, death threats, etc., they keep on working for us.  Kudos to the staff.

#5  The game.  No matter how many other muds I try, they NEVER measure up, and I have tries plenty in between PCs and down times.

What about you guys?

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

it's the most populated mud with a post apocalyptic setting, perma death, and has roleplay enforced.

You guys are alright i guess.

mudsexx
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

#1 Separation between OOC and IC.
#2 Active enforcement of Roleplay enforced environment.
#3 The Karma System
#4 Low, George R. R. Martin-like, grit.
#5 My first great PC was similar to a drug high, so now I am just chasing that high.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Loot.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Delstro on October 05, 2008, 05:57:41 PM
#5 My first great PC was similar to a drug high, so now I am just chasing that high.
I have never heard it put any better than this.

Oh, and mudsexx
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

I like creating a character in an interactive story that runs on rules like the real world, and has consequences for your actions.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on October 05, 2008, 06:23:19 PM
I like creating a character in an interactive story that runs on rules like the real world, and has consequences for your actions.

Wow, go Mansa.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

1) permadeath
2) playerbase/staff -- I wish I could measure up to the MUD's better RPers
3) gritty setting
4) all of the secrets there are to learn, partly as a result of OOC/IC divide

October 05, 2008, 07:47:26 PM #9 Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:04:34 AM by Winterless
1. The wonderful people that I get the chance to interact with on a daily basis.  :-*

2. Total immersion. Everything from   ;D to >:( to ??? to  :'( to  :-\

3. Because every day I find something new IG that makes me go "Wow!"  :o

4. Being able to create every little detail and nuance about a "person" and "live out" their life.

5. The GDB, it's my home away from home.

6. The Staff, they are completely awesome, thank you for making me waste hours of my life on this game.

Edited to add: 7. Mudsex.... How could I forget thee.

The Byn. Even when I'm not playing in it. Always and forever.

Permanent death and the serious tone it brings with it to the game.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Winterless on October 05, 2008, 07:47:26 PM
1. The wonderful people that I get the chance to interact with on a daily basis.  :-*

2. Total immersion. Everything from   ;D to >:( to ??? to  :'( to  :-\

4. Being able to create every little detail and nuance about a "person" and "live out" their life.

5. The GDB, it's my home away from home.

6. The Staff, they are completely awesome, thank you for making me waste hours of my life on this game.

Edited to add: 7. Mudsex.... How could I forget thee.

Everything that she said... I am just to lazy to type it all right this moment. Thanks Winterless for letting me steal your words.  :-*

Quote from: Is Friday on October 06, 2008, 05:13:35 AM
Permanent death and the serious tone it brings with it to the game.

This one also....
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

That I get to act out a part ALL DAY, of a character I created. It's like one big improv game.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: Clearsighted on October 06, 2008, 05:12:28 AM
The Byn. Even when I'm not playing in it. Always and forever.

Same here.

Spread the love, spread the love.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Having a PC die, and actually missing him.

Hurray for perma death!  It makes live so much more exciting.
Grebber - One who grebs.

...I use the game environment to help further my writing abilities, namely story creation and characterization studies. Sounds pretty selfish, huh.
But that's why I like this "game", or should I say, "writer's resource".
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Quote from: Manhattan on October 06, 2008, 07:29:47 PM
...I use the game environment to help further my writing abilities, namely story creation and characterization studies. Sounds pretty selfish, huh.
But that's why I like this "game", or should I say, "writer's resource".

This..

Quote from: FantasyWriter on October 06, 2008, 06:02:40 PM
Having a PC die, and actually missing him/her.

Hurray for perma death!  It makes live so much more exciting.

This..

Quote from: tortall on October 06, 2008, 05:14:41 PM

That I get to act out a part ALL DAY, of a character I created. It's like one big improv game.

This...

How about I stop right there, before I end up quoting everyone who's posted before me.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: manonfire on October 06, 2008, 10:19:07 PM
I don't play.

:-\

Top reasons why you don't play Armageddon!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on October 06, 2008, 05:13:55 AM
Everything that she said... I am just to lazy to type it all right this moment. Thanks Winterless for letting me steal your words.  :-*

Aww! You're welcome! ;)

I don't play.

Special Apps don't go through in the amount of time as expected.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Let's see, what do I like..

1: The people - I've come across some great rp in my short time playing. Wish I was as good as some of these people.
2: Dying sucks big time but you think of the good times and I actually feel sad and wish you didn't die brutally.
3. Crafting - It's different but very cool, though challenging at times to understand.
4. Staff get back to you extremely fast when you need help no matter which form you ask for it in.
5. The cool things that you don't expect happening to your character, happen. :-X Cool, weird things you never expect to see and make you go "What the hell?"  :o, happen. Fun situations you never saw coming, happen.  8) - Don't bother setting out yourself in a particular mindset all the time!
6. GDB is so handy for information, so are the help files provided.
7: Rangers.  ;D

Keep up the great work!

October 07, 2008, 03:17:24 AM #24 Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:19:46 AM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Reiloth on October 07, 2008, 01:40:02 AM
I don't play.

Special Apps don't go through in the amount of time as expected.

No kidding.  This has probably cause me more time away from Armageddon than any other Armageddon related reason.

Not a complaint, just an observation:
Quote from: Docs link=http://www.armageddon.org/general/special.php
Please understand that a special application may take a week or more to process.

August '04  (1 week-1 month)
Quote from: ashyom link=http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,9783.0.html
Historically, special apps can take as long as a month.  However, I believe Brixius tries to process them at least once a week, sometimes every two weeks, usually over the weekend.

Dec '06 (About two weeks)
Quote from: Adhira link=http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,24259.0.html
Special apps usually take one or two weeks.

Now (Two months +)
Quote from: Tzurahro link=http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,32616.0.html
Currently I see twenty-six special applications in the que, with one submitted by Titansfan on 8/30/08.  The oldest in the que was submitted 7/28/08.

PS: I blame all the people that gave up their karma for muddying it up for the rest of us. ;)  (just kidding of course)
Grebber - One who grebs.