Discussion of changes to aging of stats

Started by Morgenes, August 06, 2008, 11:49:03 AM

Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 13, 2008, 09:25:29 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on August 13, 2008, 09:21:27 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 13, 2008, 03:18:04 PM
I predict a significant wave of PC deaths to NPC critters and unexpected upsets in sparring matches soon to follow this code change.

Yeah, right.  Like most characters survive long enough for this to even matter.  ::)

We need some data on the average character life span.  I wouldn't put it over 2-4 IC months in-game, assuming regular logins.

Based on a usual 25% character turnover per week, I believe I previously calculated the average character lifespan as something like 2 weeks. Maybe slightly less, I don't remember exactly.

However, there are a lot of really oooooooooooooooold characters in game, too.

What we're all -really- interested in is whether there's an increase in dwarf and elf characters.  Keep us posted, Data Queen!

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I predict that this change will cause fewer people to be interested in playing mantis.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Dalmeth on August 13, 2008, 11:06:16 AM

Another note : I never realized that your agility could drop to the point where you couldn't hold five objects.  I thought that was a basic necessity, seeming to be the maximum amount of items you can use to craft something.

Ha!  Apparently you've never played a half-giant.  Some of those poor buggers can only hold 2 or 3 items at a time.  But they can be massive items.   ;D

Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 13, 2008, 09:25:29 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on August 13, 2008, 09:21:27 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 13, 2008, 03:18:04 PM
I predict a significant wave of PC deaths to NPC critters and unexpected upsets in sparring matches soon to follow this code change.

Yeah, right.  Like most characters survive long enough for this to even matter.  ::)

We need some data on the average character life span.  I wouldn't put it over 2-4 IC months in-game, assuming regular logins.

Based on a usual 25% character turnover per week, I believe I previously calculated the average character lifespan as something like 2 weeks. Maybe slightly less, I don't remember exactly.

Wait, what?  For real???   :o  One of the reasons I started logging in less was because I calculated my characters were living an average of 3 weeks, and I felt bad about it.    So I figured if I logged in less, then my character's OOC lifespan would increase, even if their days played remained the same.  I feel . . . better.   :D

Thanks, Statistics Girl!
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: Angela Christine on August 13, 2008, 10:45:29 PM
Wait, what?  For real???   :o  One of the reasons I started logging in less was because I calculated my characters were living an average of 3 weeks, and I felt bad about it.    So I figured if I logged in less, then my character's OOC lifespan would increase, even if their days played remained the same.  I feel . . . better.   :D

Thanks, Statistics Girl!

I can't honestly say 100% that this is true because I don't have access to the character database, but I have two pieces of backup for my analysis:

-- Take an average of 25 to 30% PC turnover per RL week (which you can find just from looking at the ratio of unique player logins to character applications--25% is quite normal), and imagine you have 100 new characters in a particular week. The average turnover says that after 1 week, 25% (25) of those characters will be gone, leaving 75; after 2 weeks, another 25% (19) will be gone, leaving 56; after 3 weeks, another 14 will be gone, leaving 42. So the really rough average character lifespan is about 2.5 weeks, I guess, by those numbers.

-- A lot of PCs seem to disappear in the first week, second week, and so on. New characters are well known to be highly prone to death. Two weeks just feels like the amount of time I see many characters around for.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on August 13, 2008, 09:16:09 PM
Definitely awkward on the characters who have lived a long while and used the request
tool for stat alterations in the past when hitting milestones in character development
via age.

Morgenes anticipated that might be a problem:

QuoteThe code is assuming that you haven't had your stats changed since you rerolled at your starting age and will apply changes based on that.  If you have an older character who has been rerolled for age or had stat adjustments due to age, you likely will see some changes that might adversely affect your character.  If so, please submit a request about it and we will look and decide what to do on a case by case basis.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Anyone ever go from one age category to the next without any visible stat changes?  I don't mind at all ... but ... I was expecting something. :D
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on June 07, 2009, 12:09:49 PM
Anyone ever go from one age category to the next without any visible stat changes?  I don't mind at all ... but ... I was expecting something. :D

I did. I'm a bit relieved, though. I like my character's stats.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Thunkkin on June 07, 2009, 12:09:49 PM

Remember, good strength for a human might be "25-29."

So, you might have gone from 25 to 26.  It wouldn't show that you are now 'very good', which is '30 - 33'.

Aswell, stat changes aren't guarenteed.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Phew.

Just making sure I'm normal.

Well.

"Normal."
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Morgenes on August 06, 2008, 12:52:11 PM
Just to confirm what Tzu said, this is NOT a reroll, we will be doing computations based on your current attribute and adjusting it for age.  The only way you could go from good to poor strength is if you've aged enough that this is now an issue.
This is all I needed to hear. If that's the case, then I'm all up for it.

I was going to be violently against it, though, it was just a completely random reroll of stats every few ages or something. With my luck, a PC of mine who prides him/herself on strength or some stat would reroll poor =P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Stat changes I find, are most likely (almost guaranteed) to happen, when transitioning from childhood to adulthood (15-19).
"When the spirits read the writing on the skulls Shiva wears
around his neck, they know, 'This one is Brahma, this one is
Vishnu, this one is Indra, this is death,' as they play happily
with them, Shiva smiles, he laughs, our god."   --Basava

I've had four birthdays before, and had one stat just absolutely refuse to go up.

I think the code has it in for my characters.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I wish this thread would die. Every time I see it I'm reminded of how vehemently I disagree with stats shifting with age.

If we're supposed to believe stats do not or should not matter, why do I see changes like this?

Quote from: Eloran on June 08, 2009, 01:31:31 AM
If we're supposed to believe stats do not or should not matter, why do I see changes like this?

Since when are we supposed to believe that stats don't matter?

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on June 08, 2009, 09:25:12 AM

And to answer your question, it makes the world more realistic and less static.
If you don't like your stats, become a spice head.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: mansa on June 08, 2009, 09:25:12 AM

Because staff and players say it all the time?

There's a difference between something being "important" and something "having an effect."  Of course stats have an effect, but they are still not important.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on June 08, 2009, 02:05:09 PM
There's a difference between something being "important" and something "having an effect."  Of course stats have an effect, but they are still not important.

::)

I wish this thread would die. Every time I see it I'm reminded of how vehemently I disagree with stats shifting with age.

Because the immortals were tired of rerolling characters who went from age 13 to age 20 and requested a stat change and then automated it.

Quote from: mansa on June 08, 2009, 03:50:18 PM

Because the immortals were tired of rerolling characters who went from age 13 to age 20 and requested a stat change and then automated it.

Eloran makes baby jesus cry.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: Eloran on June 08, 2009, 03:44:08 PM
Quote from: spawnloser on June 08, 2009, 02:05:09 PM

::)

Trust me, if you get old, the effect is important.  >:(

Regardless of how important stats are (or should be), to me the changes with age make a lot of sense. Previously, it was way out of line with the starting age modifiers. At least those are synched up now.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon