Discussion of changes to aging of stats

Started by Morgenes, August 06, 2008, 11:49:03 AM

This post is for you guys to give us your thoughts and feedback on the pending changes to how aging affects stats announced here:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,31960.0.html
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Personally, I'm in total favor for this.

...that is all.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Thank you. This is great.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Woo!
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Will the reroll when a character ages be completely random?

What I'm thinking is that the human with Exceptional strength should still be stronger then the human with Good strength once they've both reached an older age. Currently if all that's going to be done is performing another re-roll like what you get at character creation, even with stat ordering, the Exceptional strength guy could still roll an average as his highest or something and end up with stats that don't make sense (Ex: his highest is Average which goes towards Strength - he picked this at character creation- the other guy rolls all Good and ends up being stronger.)

-Elvenchipmunk
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

August 06, 2008, 12:17:11 PM #6 Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:21:41 PM by mansa
I also wish it wasn't random, but I do believe stats SHOULD change more easily.

It feels like this is the easiest fix possible, which is great, but I think a better change would be one outlined here:
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30474.msg337929.html#msg337929
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

So now stats will matter even more than they do already? I'm going to remain apprehensive about this until I'm certain the chances of this change having more adverse than positive effects upon characters proves itself to be otherwise. I'd like to welcome this change, but eh, as much as we're told stats don't matter, it's become quite clear that they do. I just have a bad feeling about this one, but again, I'll save my judgement until I notice any effects this might have on my characters.

August 06, 2008, 12:21:20 PM #8 Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:24:54 PM by Tisiphone
Quote from: mansa on August 06, 2008, 12:17:11 PM

It feels like this is the easiest fix possible, which is great, but I think a better change would be one outlined here:
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30474.msg337929.html#msg337929
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

OOoh....maybe more wizdomez!

-Lizzie, the wise
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

So what happens when a character with exceptional strength rerolls and gets a poor? When he's aged a year perhaps in game? Is that going to be possible? How would that be explained?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on August 06, 2008, 12:28:58 PM
So what happens when a character with exceptional strength rerolls and gets a poor? When he's aged a year perhaps in game? Is that going to be possible? How would that be explained?

Let's pray to Tek things like this won't be possible. If they do, characters would become nigh unplayable, and I'd end up storing, or never playing. I just hate to see stats receive more focus than is already due.

Hey, as long as I don't take massive drops in stats on my current PC, I'm game.

Quote from: Tisiphone on August 06, 2008, 12:21:20 PM
Quote from: mansa on August 06, 2008, 12:17:11 PM

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30474.msg338173.html#msg338173
Quote from: elvenchipmunk on August 06, 2008, 12:12:02 PM
Will the reroll when a character ages be completely random?

There will be nothing random about the effects of aging upon a character's statistics.  It will now be predictable, logical and hopefully well-balanced.  It will be automatic.  Young characters will mature, peak and decline just as was intended, based upon their age.

It is not a reroll.  It is applying modifiers to existing stats at certain time intervals of a PC's life.

This will offset the often-mentioned penalties of starting a very young character over the lifespan of a PC, and simulate the marvelous slide into feeble decrepitude. 
<immcom> Petoch for your thoughts?

Quote from: Tzurahro on August 06, 2008, 12:32:40 PM
This will offset the often-mentioned penalties of starting a very young character over the lifespan of a PC, and simulate the marvelous slide into feeble decrepitude. 

Any idea on where said racial thresholds will begin/end?

Quote from: Tzurahro on August 06, 2008, 12:32:40 PM

There will be nothing random about the effects of aging upon a character's statistics.  It will now be predictable, logical and hopefully well-balanced.  It will be automatic.  Young characters will mature, peak and decline just as was intended, based upon their age.

It is not a reroll.  It is applying modifiers to existing stats at certain time intervals of a PC's life.

Ah. That's beyond awesome, then.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Just to confirm what Tzu said, this is NOT a reroll, we will be doing computations based on your current attribute and adjusting it for age.  The only way you could go from good to poor strength is if you've aged enough that this is now an issue.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

What about people who, say, already have poor strength or AI wisdom when an aging mod comes around? Just out of curiosity.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: manonfire on August 06, 2008, 12:32:02 PM
Hey, as long as I don't take massive drops in stats on my current PC, I'm game.

I like it.  Adds some flavor.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: Tisiphone on August 06, 2008, 01:31:26 PM
What about people who, say, already have poor strength or AI wisdom when an aging mod comes around? Just out of curiosity.

I'm sure the AI range for any race is basically defined as >Exceptional Range.  So, if you're already somewhere in the AI range, and you go up, it will probably still show as AI.

Same thing for poor, AFAIK.  (Has anyone ever had a stat worse than 'poor'?  Very poor? Extremely poor? Exceptionally poor? Absolutely atrocious?)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

As bad as having poor strength is, I'd hate to see what anything lower would yield..*shudders*

Thank you so much!

This has long been something I griped about, so I'm thrilled. It always seemed to me that starting age modifiers were way out of synch with actual coded aging.  Even if your character lasted decades, it seemed like they were always carrying around the modifiers of their starting age.

This makes so much more sense and very much a change for the better, IMHO.

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that it's random or will make stats matter more at all.  It will just mean that age modifiers will match the current age, and not the starting age.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: Tisiphone on August 06, 2008, 01:31:26 PM

It depends on what the aging modifier is.  Strength starts low then increases to a peak then goes back down.  Wisdom starts low and steadily increases.  It will follow the curve. 

As for the discussion on 'poor' vs. 'very poor', there is no such designation.  If your stat was 'poor' before and age made it worse, you won't get another descriptor, but you may notice it in other ways (unable to carry as much, lower endurance, quicker learning).
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

As the proud owner of a character who's aged about a dozen years in-game, I just hope my stats don't immediately jump in the crapper. The bonus/penalties from age aren't severe unless you're adolescent or getting way old, right? People aren't getting decrepit in their thirties?