Discussion of changes to aging of stats

Started by Morgenes, August 06, 2008, 11:49:03 AM

Bumping this to remind you guys that it will be going in with maintenance tomorrow.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 11, 2008, 02:04:47 AM
Quote from: Yam on August 11, 2008, 01:49:50 AM
According to stat and assess, 57 is also considered middle-age for a human.

Hm.... Should probably submit something about this with the bug/idea command....

To address this, for humans, the age range goes as follows:

< 19  young
  20-29  young adult
  30-40  adult
  41-60  middle aged
  61-80  old
  > 81   ancient

'middle aged' is the down side of the slope of physical strength and endurance, not the middle as it would imply.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Assuming proportionality, here are the proportionality constants for the other races (from help age):

Mantises:  0.353
Muls:  0.882
Half-elves:  1.118
Half-giants:  1.206
Elves:  1.353
Dwarves:  1.471
Halflings:  1.765

How to use them:  multiply the human age by your race's proportionality constant, and you'll get the age at which your character will switch to the next age bracket.

For example:  a dwarf would be in the adult range from the ages of 30(1.471) to the age of 40(1.471).  Which would be from 44.13 to 58.84.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Morgenes on August 12, 2008, 04:22:27 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 11, 2008, 02:04:47 AM
Quote from: Yam on August 11, 2008, 01:49:50 AM
According to stat and assess, 57 is also considered middle-age for a human.

Hm.... Should probably submit something about this with the bug/idea command....

To address this, for humans, the age range goes as follows:

< 19  young
  20-29  young adult
  30-40  adult
  41-60  middle aged
  61-80  old
  > 81   ancient

'middle aged' is the down side of the slope of physical strength and endurance, not the middle as it would imply.

As it rightly should. I hate made several character over the years that ranged from 50-57 and they almost all started with this:

Your strength is poor, your agility is poor,
  your wisdom is exceptional, and your endurance is poor.

Of course, a middle-aged man wouldn't be keeping up with any spry twenty year old, but this does not even put them on the level of a thirteen year old. A warrior with poor strength will bounce blows off of bare skin. With a weapon.

I've tried it. A lot. A middle-aged man should something more than the physical prowess of a toddler, I think.

Actually, I can tell you for a fact that a dwarf is young until age 44 when he/she becomes adult, and at age 61 is still just adult. A staffer would have to say, but I'm pretty sure that a dwarf does not hit middle aged till around 68. Mostt likley hitting old at near 100 and ancient around 130. Though I've never taken any that far myself.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Yam on August 12, 2008, 05:48:34 PM
I hate made several character over the years that ranged from 50-57 and they almost all started with this:

Your strength is poor, your agility is poor,
  your wisdom is exceptional, and your endurance is poor.

Of course, a middle-aged man wouldn't be keeping up with any spry twenty year old, but this does not even put them on the level of a thirteen year old. A warrior with poor strength will bounce blows off of bare skin. With a weapon.

I've tried it. A lot. A middle-aged man should something more than the physical prowess of a toddler, I think.

You've made this point a few times, so I just want to chime in to say my experience having three poor stats was not nearly as bad as yours sounds. It was definitely noticeable and difficult, but still playable. And this was playing in a combat role with a guild_burglar.  (Admittedly, I did ask for a age-based reroll after the character had aged five or six years.)
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Indeed. It's not completely unplayable.

I was moreso making the point about how feeble supposedly middle-aged humans are. If it did not happen with such surprising regularity, it wouldn't really be a problem.

As it stands, I am under the impression that most humans from the age of 40 on are as decrepit and frail as modern day eighty year olds.

Yeah, maybe the modifiers for the "middle age" category need to be adjusted. I don't think I've started a character that old before, so I don't know.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: Morgenes on August 12, 2008, 04:12:26 PM
Bumping this to remind you guys that it will be going in with maintenance tomorrow.

I'm excited!

And a bit apprehensive, too.  My character's not old enough to suffer from the changes, but still.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on August 12, 2008, 08:18:30 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on August 12, 2008, 04:12:26 PM

I'm excited!

And a bit apprehensive, too.  My character's not old enough to suffer from the changes, but still.

I am praying that mine won't be so bad that I am forced to store.  My PC is quite old.  Sadly i started him out like that for IC reasons, and now because of something OOC, he might be useless in his role.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I like how:

A) It was announced when I logged in that it was my PC's birthday

Welcome back ***.
Connecting to ****...
Happy Belated Birthday! You are now **.

B) One of my stat actually changed. (For the better, even!)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on August 13, 2008, 10:55:08 AM
B) One of my stat actually changed. (For the better, even!)

Two of mine did!  ;)
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Yeah, just a note : I seem to have taken hits to my stats and it hasn't shown up as a change in the descriptive word  in score.

Another note : I never realized that your agility could drop to the point where you couldn't hold five objects.  I thought that was a basic necessity, seeming to be the maximum amount of items you can use to craft something.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on August 13, 2008, 11:06:16 AM
Yeah, just a note : I seem to have taken hits to my stats and it hasn't shown up as a change in the descriptive word  in score.

Another note : I never realized that your agility could drop to the point where you couldn't hold five objects.  I thought that was a basic necessity, seeming to be the maximum amount of items you can use to craft something.

Yah, try playing a crafter who can only hold three items at a time.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 13, 2008, 04:31:40 AMI am praying that mine won't be so bad that I am forced to store.  My PC is quite old.  Sadly i started him out like that for IC reasons, and now because of something OOC, he might be useless in his role.

Age is not an OOC issue, period.  it is very much an IC issue, and the issues revolving around it are IC and should be treated as such.  As you get older you will have to adjust your expectations and role.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I had three change and all got a little better.  Yay me.  Too bad I don't really use them for anything in my current role.

Brandon

P.S.  Either way, making stats more dynamic is a great change.
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Ooh, my character's starting to feel his years. *wince*

Awesome, though. I like this change so far.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Oops, sorry.  last night was a whiskey night.... I drink vodka.  I do like the new aging system.  Sorry it I seemed whiny or bitchy with my last post.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Um, I officially like this code change.

That is all.

I predict a significant wave of PC deaths to NPC critters and unexpected upsets in sparring matches soon to follow this code change.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Zoltan on August 13, 2008, 12:05:15 PM
Ooh, my character's starting to feel his years. *wince*

Awesome, though. I like this change so far.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I foresee more spec-app-young to young-adult characters especially for people who prefer to play long lived characters.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Definitely awkward on the characters who have lived a long while and used the request
tool for stat alterations in the past when hitting milestones in character development
via age.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 13, 2008, 03:18:04 PM
I predict a significant wave of PC deaths to NPC critters and unexpected upsets in sparring matches soon to follow this code change.

Yeah, right.  Like most characters survive long enough for this to even matter.  ::)

We need some data on the average character life span.  I wouldn't put it over 2-4 IC months in-game, assuming regular logins.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 13, 2008, 09:21:27 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 13, 2008, 03:18:04 PM

Yeah, right.  Like most characters survive long enough for this to even matter.  ::)

We need some data on the average character life span.  I wouldn't put it over 2-4 IC months in-game, assuming regular logins.

Based on a usual 25% character turnover per week, I believe I previously calculated the average character lifespan as something like 2 weeks. Maybe slightly less, I don't remember exactly.

However, there are a lot of really oooooooooooooooold characters in game, too.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.