Poll: Preference for character longevity

Started by nessalin, June 28, 2008, 08:57:51 PM

What's the optimal life of a character in RL time

2 months
6 months
1 year
more than 1 year
It depends largely on what my character is doing.  If he's managing other characters, then I'd say my preference for longevity is short.  It's stressful constantly making yourself present so as to keep things rolling.  Before when I've had such a role, my day to day enjoyment took a back seat in favor of waiting for one of those Moments.  You know, those moments when everything is running just as it should, and everyone's having fun?  That feeling is a vindication for me from whatever tortuous boredom I may have endured to get there.

Apart from that, my characters have no shelf life.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Lizzie on June 28, 2008, 09:22:12 PM
Between 6 months and a year is good for me. It's long enough I can really dig into the plotlines in the vicinity of my character, and short enough I can still feel things are "fresh" and look forward to a new PC without frustration of the old one. After a year, even when I enjoy the character, I start wondering when I'll be able to try something new.

Quote from: Ender on June 28, 2008, 10:02:35 PM
The longer I play a character, the more attached to them I become.  I've had instances where the character has become really boring for awhile, and normally I can just chug on through and grow to appreciate it more.

I tend to invest a lot of time, emotion, and effort into my PCs so it will usually keep them fresh for me as long as I keep playing them.  So I don't really have a preference on the max amount of time I want to play a PC.

Quote from: musashi on June 28, 2008, 11:18:38 PM
I enjoy a long lived character over a shortlived one, but on the flip side, when that long lived character dies it makes creating a new one all that much more of a pain in the ass for me.

Sort of like: The further along I get in the game, the less and less I want to start over, if that makes sense.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I've only had the oppertunity to play one really long lived PC, but I was very sad when they died. There were some VERY slow times, but over all it was an awesome experiance and I wish they could have lived longer. The longer a PC lives the more they develop as a character, and the more complex they become. Starting off from scratch after all that is very challanging. Over all, I think I'd want a PC to live as long as possible, unless where was some major reason that prevented me from having any fun with them.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: musashi on June 28, 2008, 11:18:38 PM
I enjoy a long lived character over a shortlived one, but on the flip side, when that long lived character dies it makes creating a new one all that much more of a pain in the ass for me.

Sort of like: The further along I get in the game, the less and less I want to start over, if that makes sense.

It's the opposite for me: I tend to have long lived characters, so starting a new character never feels stale, because I don't do it often.  It's almost like a consolation for losing a character; well that one's gone, but now I can do whatever I want with my next one.

I voted for one year.  I think at that point, you've had a lot of experiences, and have lived a good chunk of your background.  You've seen friends and enemies come and go and plots start and finish.  I think there may be a point of diminishing returns though.  After that, it gets harder and harder to wring any fresh experience out of a character.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

I think my longest lived character was... 3 RL months. I tend to setup my characters for either very interesting backstories, independent rangering, or conflicting secrets that they have to hide. (I did have one relatively "safe" character that I lost due to boredom, I'll admit.)

Overall, I'm trying new things, and optimally, my longer lived characters are my favorites. I'm seeing if I can get this one to last at least 10 IC years. What's that, a year's RL time? Yeah.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I believe 3 years is probably the best you can get out of a character.

I think it would be awesome if the time would flow from age 20 - age 60 over 3 years time.

Anything longer than that and I think you start pushing some limits.

If you could age 13.3 years in every 1 year, that would be cool.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Dalmeth on June 29, 2008, 10:55:17 AM
It depends largely on what my character is doing.  If he's managing other characters, then I'd say my preference for longevity is short.  It's stressful constantly making yourself present so as to keep things rolling.  Before when I've had such a role, my day to day enjoyment took a back seat in favor of waiting for one of those Moments.  You know, those moments when everything is running just as it should, and everyone's having fun?  That feeling is a vindication for me from whatever tortuous boredom I may have endured to get there.

Apart from that, my characters have no shelf life.

I love this. Being managed by people makes my longevity short. If I feel important to other players, by being their leader, then I can live til I die of crazy gith.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

My characters tend to live a decent amount of time, a few RL months or so. But I find in most cases that that's too short. My first character lived like 8 or 9 RL months with maybe like 25 or so days played, so I think I got into the game being used to playing one character for an extended time.

I think about 1 RL year would be about the time for me to be fully satisfied with a character. Typically, the longer I play them, the more I like them.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Give me longevity.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I said a year.  I hope my current pc will make it that long  :-\

Quote from: mansa on June 29, 2008, 06:35:57 PM
I believe 3 years is probably the best you can get out of a character.

I think it would be awesome if the time would flow from age 20 - age 60 over 3 years time.

Anything longer than that and I think you start pushing some limits.

If you could age 13.3 years in every 1 year, that would be cool.

I am all for this.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

So far I've only had three characters. But from that little experience, I've gathered that after a 'second' month, I become less and less attached to the character that I'm playing. The character still has unachieved goals, still lots of challenges, still lots of plots he's in the middle of. And yet ... I cant stop thinking how tired I am of the character, and how much more interesting it would be doing ... something else, being someone else, and so on.

And ofcourse, then a character dies (Often the death could have been avoided if I chose to add a bit more need to survive to the chara), and my next one ends up hearing his previous character's name ... EVERYWHERE, and I just pull on my hair, wondering why the hell did I allow my last one to die, when I ended up dropping the ball on SO many people.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 29, 2008, 11:40:43 PM
Give me longevity.

Give me longevity, or give me death? Yeah, I guess those are pretty much the options.

My preference is for long-lived PCs. Nothing I want to achieve can be done quickly. And PC-PC relationships are always extremely important to my enjoyment, character development, blah blah...which only happens over time.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I would like it if a PC could hit her stride and complete the entirety of a complex life-story arc in six months to a year of regular playtime.

This is not to say that I don't want there to be characters living beyond that span. Those long-lived PCs are great.  I would just like the game to be designed so that within that six month to one year window of regular play a clever player could accomplish (or dramatically fail) the vast majority of realistic life-goals for their PC.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I'd probably like my characters to live a while, but I can see me getting bored with the same old thing, after a while.  I'm not really sure exactly how long that will be, though =)
That's the kind of wooley-headed liberal thinking that leads to being eaten.

I'm pulling for my certain PC to die of old age...
Most likely have to ask Staff to give'em some kool death-bed scene. lulz. xD

8) Owell.. Hopefully he lasts.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

A long-lived character is like a stew.  A well cooked stew is tasty, flavorful, and satisfies everyone who partakes in it. These fastidious diners are happy to eat this stew.  However, the longer the stew is served to the guests, the less appealing it seems.  Dish after dish of the same old bland stew will make everyone bored.  It takes a masterful artist to vary the recipe and keep the guests interested without throwing the stew out and making an entirely new dish.  A skilled chef will be able to add new and exciting tastes to the dish without ruining the original flavor of the stew.  Occasionally, the chef will need to take a break from cooking, and let the stew simmer awhile on the back burner before coming back to it.  When she does, and serves it to her guests, they will be thrilled and delighted to taste that old stew again!  They might even forget it was the same tired old stew she served two months ago, and just be glad to taste something which seems new and exciting to them (even if it actually isn't).

However, it is important to remember that the longer the stew cooks, the tougher it is to swallow.  The more time passes with the same stew served day after day, the more people will wish to do away with the stew, or pretend to like it when really, they're just taking their portion to the bathroom and flushing it down the toilet behind the chef's back, like I did at my aunt's house last Christmas.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on July 02, 2008, 10:44:49 PM
A long-lived character is like a stew.  A well cooked stew is tasty, flavorful, and satisfies everyone who partakes in it. These fastidious diners are happy to eat this stew.  However, the longer the stew is served to the guests, the less appealing it seems.  Dish after dish of the same old bland stew will make everyone bored.  It takes a masterful artist to vary the recipe and keep the guests interested without throwing the stew out and making an entirely new dish.  A skilled chef will be able to add new and exciting tastes to the dish without ruining the original flavor of the stew.  Occasionally, the chef will need to take a break from cooking, and let the stew simmer awhile on the back burner before coming back to it.  When she does, and serves it to her guests, they will be thrilled and delighted to taste that old stew again!  They might even forget it was the same tired old stew she served two months ago, and just be glad to taste something which seems new and exciting to them (even if it actually isn't).

However, it is important to remember that the longer the stew cooks, the tougher it is to swallow.  The more time passes with the same stew served day after day, the more people will wish to do away with the stew, or pretend to like it when really, they're just taking their portion to the bathroom and flushing it down the toilet behind the chef's back, like I did at my aunt's house last Christmas.

MmmMmMmm, Byn Stew.

Thanks for insinuating that everyone hates long-lived characters and wishes they would curl up and die already, Laura. Very encouraging.

Danu? Sargax? A certain very old Tan Muark? All three were as fresh as a new day to me, even if they didn't feel that way themselves. Why? Because they had such a rich, complex history full of honest-to-ginka tales that they'd lived, bled, and fought through, and because they were so convincingly portrayed. Not all of us can do such a bangin' job, but I don't see why we should be discouraged from trying.

Quote from: LauraMars on July 02, 2008, 10:44:49 PM
The more time passes with the same stew served day after day, the more people will wish to do away with the stew, or pretend to like it when really, they're just taking their portion to the bathroom and flushing it down the toilet behind the chef's back, like I did at my aunt's house last Christmas.

Is that what you guys do after you've roleplayed with my character? :(
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

No way, you're crazy. We don't have flush toilets in Zalanthas.  I just bury it in a bunch of sand.

I love long lived characters though.  I chose the last option on the poll. 
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."