Spam Walking

Started by Synthesis, March 04, 2008, 01:33:35 PM

I would ask that PLEASE, people:  if you are about to enter your clan compound or some other clan-only area, for the love of Tek, STOP and PAUSE for a few moments before you enter, so anyone who might be shadowing you can 'follow self' and not be spamwalked into your compound against their will.

Furthermore, if you are doing this shit to purposefully trap PCs in your apartment/compound, FYAD.

>:(
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Mmm, I've never ever thought about that.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Uhm, no.

I'd be ready to give you slack, Synthesis, but it's a second in a row thread stating "I've fucked up, but it's all your fault", so just think ahead and don't sleep on yor victim.

March 04, 2008, 02:45:13 PM #3 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:47:29 PM by Ghost
where is that "Gim says ..." response i came all the way here for that

EDIT: What does FYAD mean?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Gim says, "FYAD probably means Fuck You And Die. Or that's my guess anyways."
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

It'd be nice if entering clan compounds always had some sort of minor delay. And they do, to some extent -- people have to knock.

I'm going to agree with Doppleganger.

The knock-delay can be essentially zero.

As much as I adore sneakies, I have to say I think this is silly.  Joe Kadius would walk on through those gates like he normally would, because he has no idea he's being followed.  Joe Kadius would not  pause outside of his estate gates to allow whatever spy has been soaking up his secrets for the past hour to make a clean escape.  If the RP that follows is uncomfortable for the sneaky PC, well...  IC consequences for IC actions.

If you're following someone secretly around the city, you'd damn well better be paying attention to your character and where you're headed. 

In another recent thread, someone brought up the issue of having to answer ICly for the consequences of spamwalking.  Maybe... just... avoid...spamwalking?
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I agree with Ourla and the idea that stopping outside an area your character wouldn't normally stop outside in the event that someone is following you isn't something I'd ever really do, even though I try my best not to spamwalk for other reasons.

However, I think the OP's problem stems more from the fundamental flaws with the follow command than it does with spamwalking.

It's not terribly IC for Joe Kadius to stop outside his gates in the event that there's a sneakie following him, no.

But it's equally not IC that somebody following him would be physically unable to stop following him before he's inside the compound, which, sadly, happens a lot with the current follow code. If the person you're following walks fast enough, you could fire off a 'follow self' and not have it go through until they pause 12 rooms later, go into a clan area, fall off a cliff, etc.

Fortunately I've not seen any examples that looked like people purposefully abusing this facet of the code.

I'd think a staff fix to give 'follow self' no delay or at least a significantly shorter delay would be the only thing that would really solve this problem.

I personally try to keep my spamwalking to a minimum because I want to give people a chance to spot my character and interact with them. However, I can understand why people do it, especially in cities, and especially in a situation like going from your favourite bar to your clan compound because you just wanna log off and get to bed, and I'm definitely guilty of not stopping as often as I probably could.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

You send a message to the staff:
  "Guys, I was shadowing this dude when he spamwalked into his clan compound and logged off. Halp plz?"
A small child has arrived from the west, clutching a worn sandcloth doll.
A small child intently scans the area.
A small child panics and attempts to flee!
A small child runs west.
From the west, a childish voice shouts, in sirihish,
  "STRANGER!"

Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 04, 2008, 04:57:58 PM
You send a message to the staff:
  "Guys, I was shadowing this dude when he spamwalked into his clan compound and logged off. Halp plz?"
A small child has arrived from the west, clutching a worn sandcloth doll.
A small child intently scans the area.
A small child panics and attempts to flee!
A small child runs west.
From the west, a childish voice shouts, in sirihish,
  "STRANGER!"

> open pack
> get candy pack
> w (smiling kindly)
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

>tell child Do you like puppies? I have puppies in my wagon.

When I spam walk, I throw in a few emotes.. Saying I am jogging down the path, trying to get somewhere fast.
If that does not give you a warning.. Well don't shadow me?

If I have no reasons to spam walk.. Sleep, higher up contacting me, meeting someone IC, etc... I do not spam walk, I walk a few rooms em, few rooms, etc and so.. Think maybe talk to myself.. such a thing..

Quote from: jstorrie on March 04, 2008, 05:06:52 PM
>tell child Do you like puppies? I have puppies in my wagon.

... Dear god... Micheal Jackson wannabe in Arm!  :'(
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

March 04, 2008, 09:13:09 PM #13 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:22:07 PM by Synthesis
The issue isn't whether anyone is paying attention or not.

There are -numerous- instances where you could be paying perfect attention and still be dragged somewhere against your will.  What if I'm lagging?  What if I just typed "listen" or some other lag-inducing comand?  What if I started shadowing you when you came out, but for some reason you decided to go back in and log out?  What if your "clan-only" area is only one or two rooms away from some public gathering spot?  What if you're moving faster than I am?

If you're entering a clan compound or other clan-only area (e.g. wagons), stop and drop an emote or something, and give someone the chance to type "follow self."  That's all I'm asking.

Are you fucking seriously saying you can't pause for ten fucking seconds before you enter your gates? Say hi to the NPC guard or something.  Think about how well-constructed the gates are.  Dust yourself off.  Do whatever.

Otherwise, next time I'm going to say "fuck it" and magickally palm all the shit out of your footlockers and sneak out again anyway.  Don't try this "tough beans" shit with me, I've been playing far too long to be "pooh-poohed" by a bunch of fucking newbs.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

March 04, 2008, 09:27:55 PM #14 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:47:28 PM by Maybe42or54
How about another nosave trigger?

Nosave compound

This command will stop you if you are performing a stealthy follow from following someone into a compound that you can't get out of.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: Synthesis on March 04, 2008, 09:13:09 PMDon't try this "tough beans" shit with me, I've been playing far too long to be "pooh-poohed" by a bunch of fucking newbs.

Lol, internet elitism.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

This is probably something that could be more successfully addressed by code alterations or in conversation with staff than by making demands of other players and putting the smack-down on us newbs who might not (necessarily) agree that everyone should alter their play to suit your requirements.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: SynthesisOtherwise, next time I'm going to say "fuck it" and magickally palm all the shit out of your footlockers and sneak out again anyway.

Actually I like your attitude.  It is unrealistic for you to just loot their footlockers, but it is equally unrealistic that you are forced to get locked behind the doors.  I would say, if you are forced to follow someone into the compound, do this.  Steal their shit completely.  Junk the things you can not take.  So long that you did not have chance to stop because they spam passed the gates (not because you were watching TV at the same time), I say it seems fair to me.
some of my posts are serious stuff

When this happens, I make sure to poison the water supply of the compound.

Honestly man, I feel you, i've had it happen numerous times. I just play it out IC. Why? Shadowing people is dangerous. Especially if you are good at it.

Yes, the follow code is messed up. But that doesn't really give you the right to label people who disagree with you as 'fucking newbs'.

We all try to get along here. Somehow.

I poo-poo on your criticism.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on March 04, 2008, 09:27:55 PM
How about another nosave trigger?

Nosave compound

This command will stop you if you are performing a stealthy follow from following someone into a compound that you can't get out of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwODbl3muE
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I don't spam walk. However, I do type fast enough that I am only delayed as long as the code requires me to be delayed. Sometimes I emote during my walks/rides. Sometimes I don't. I would suggest if you don't want to end up stuck anywhere I could possibly lead you, don't follow. Or use the "stop" command if it looks like I'm heading in the general direction of somewhere you don't want to be. Or follow self. Or flee up. I usually pause -before- I head out somewhere. So you have plenty of opportunity to change your mind about following me, long before I start moving. Once I'm moving though - well you can either follow me into the building, or smack your head against the door when it closes, end up with a concussion, and go into a coma for the rest of your life. Think of it as me doing you a -huge- favor. I'm rescuing you from a vegetative existence. I accept chocolates for a token of your gratitude.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

And sometimes it is simply the PC personality.

At times I play a PC who simply does not give a shit. When he is traveling, that is what he is doing, he is working to get to a destination and ignoring pretty much everything else. Normaly toss an emote that shows that, if you miss it or ignore it, oh well.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

To further add my opinion, as i'm sure all of you want to hear it:

I will not make exceptions OOC if ICly what I am doing is not only convenient, but I have -no fucking idea your shadowing assassin is shadowing me, nor should I, nor should I make exceptions for a potential shadowing assassin of doom-. I will walk through my gates. And I will say Hi to the gate guard if it is IC to do so. If i'm a Noble, I shouldn't even acknowledge his existence. If its a former butt-buddy of mine, I might make a butt-buddy joke in passing. Otherwise, I will just walk up to my gate, and walk through it, and watch as it closes.

Stop command is useful.

Otherwise, shadowing someone is dangerous. Its just the name of the game. Shadowing. If they discover you, they will flip.

You might retort saying "My character wouldn't mean to follow this dude into his compound." Well, your character makes mistakes. Maybe he got caught with the surge of the crowd, and popped into the compound like the wet afterbirth of Eve.

I again stand by my opinion of not making IC allowances for OOC convenience.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Does 'follow self' even have delays? Certain commands, like stop, have no delays. Follow self should be one of those.

Quote from: SynthesisWhat if I'm lagging?  What if I just typed "listen" or some other lag-inducing comand?

It sucks when it happens, does not it? Should not you be fucking happy that you got away with being stuck in compound, while sometimes these things are able to outright kill character?

Do you consider that your opponent might be lagged when you are ready to strike? I'll go ahead and say that you don't, so what is the ground for your expectations that somebody would care about possible problems on your side when they are not even aware of your presence?

Quote from: SynthesisOtherwise, next time I'm going to say "fuck it" and magickally palm all the shit out of your footlockers and sneak out again anyway.  Don't try this "tough beans" shit with me, I've been playing far too long to be "pooh-poohed" by a bunch of fucking newbs.

Well, it's you who has problems with basic procedures, not those fucking newbs.

As for your and Ghost's joint bid to take OOC revenge whenever you feel that somebody didn't think for you or didn't accept the blame for your failure, I'd say go ahead. Sorry if I fail to take your protests seriously, I am not yet convinced that intentionaly you two are able to screw more things than you do casually.