Poll: Apartment Pricing

Started by Vanth, January 14, 2008, 03:47:33 PM

What is your experience with current apartment pricing?

Rent is an insignificant part of my characters' expenses.
6 (7.5%)
Rent is pretty easy to make, especially with roommates.
12 (15%)
Rent takes a significant portion of my money, but I have no problem making it.
28 (35%)
It's always questionable whether or not I'll have enough for rent.
23 (28.8%)
Renting an apartment is beyond my characters' means.
11 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Please respond with the typical/average level of your experience with all your characters that have had apartments.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I found - Rent was hard to make when I was playing a leader in a clan, but very easy to make when I was an independent.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on January 14, 2008, 03:49:41 PM
I found - Rent was hard to make when I was playing a leader in a clan, but very easy to make when I was an independent.

Correction, for me. Rent was hard to make when I was playing in a clan, leader or not, but VERY easy to make when I'm an independent.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Lots of perks come with an apartment. Both obvious and not so.

Depends on where your renting, the security, likeliness that it'll be ransacked, etc.

With an independant, Non-clan PC, I could probably pull in enough to cover rent from time to time.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I agree with the above statements. Rent is very difficult for clanned characters to cover, assuming they want to rent a place with reasonable security and space. (One room with basically no security since it can be picked by any newbie burglar is not what I'd call reasonable.) Covering rent, for indie characters, seems to be a breeze.

Examples:
-- The cheapest apartments in Allanak cost approximately 250 coins per RL week. They are one room and easily pickable. IIRC, it's about the same in Tuluk--possibly more like 150 coins per RL week.
-- The next level up of apartments in Allanak or Tuluk costs approximately 400 to 600 coins per RL week. These are two-room places which are secure enough that they generally aren't burgled constantly.
-- A basic Kadian or Salarri hunter makes 500 coins per IC month (every 2 RL weeks) after their probationary period. They also get free food and water.
-- A basic militia or Legions soldier makes 250 coins or less per IC month (every 2 RL weeks) after promotion. They also get free food or water.

So pretty much what you see in the cities is that clanned characters are always rooming together, at least 2 to 3 per apartment, and often still have difficulty covering the rent. Most clanned characters who do have apartments, seem to be able to "sneak" some kind of money on the side besides just their clan salary, or they'd have no way to afford apartments.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Most of my clanned commoner characters have considered an apartment to be a luxury beyond their means.  The couple of them who did get one did so only after they'd had several promotions and had a fair amount of coins tucked away in the bank.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

It depends.  If I am in a clan, it is pretty much ruled out because clannies just don't make enough and generally have a barracks that suits just fine.  If I am an independent criminal, it is very hard to make rent because crime generally doesn't pay all that well.  If I am an independent who just walks over 'sid mints, err, goes mining, then the cost is trivial.

The real issue with being an independent and keeping an apartment, especially if you are not mining, is that your income tends to come in starts and stops, but you have to pay for your apartment at fixed intervals.  This is further complicated by the fact that if you get an apartment and play less or take a little break, your apartment vanishes or you can't afford it.  Apartments can be more of a pain in the ass than they are worth.

I picked #3 but this part "but I have no problem making it" is untrue. I don't have a big problem making it, but it isn't insignificant either. Most of the time it seems just about right.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Whenever I have an independent, it's generally a simple matter of getting coin.  The trouble is, I hate scrabbling for coin.  Whenever my character gets to a comfortable place in coin, he spends his time either socializing or expanding  into new areas, exploratory work.  No matter how you look at it, rent takes a significant chunk of coin.  So while the cost of an apartment is significant, I'm always able to take some measure to get enough money to pay the rent.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

What Lizzie said is exactly true for me.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I've never rented an apartment solo with a character for any time longer than one rent cycle. Any time I've ever actually used an apartment as a place to live, it's been a fairly nice apartment rented with anywhere from 1 to 3 other people, so rent was never an issue since I only had to pay it every few cycles.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

250 coins a RL week. 9250 a RL year. 9250/8.5 = ~1090 coins per Zalanthan year. This seems at least middle-class to me, especially when you consider the extra costs of food and water. People need around half a gallon of water per day, so 25 sid there. Food is at least another 25 sid on top of that, and probably triple that. 50*693=17325 coins + 1090 = 18415 coins per year, which would require an income of about 28 coins per day to pay. Of course, the rent can be covered by a few people, which significantly decreases the cost. Looking at the actual "virtual" costs of living is different than the coded costs, of course, but I think it's best when they match up.

I'd like lower-scaled apartments available for 50-100 coins per month. We already have suitable ones IG, in the SW corner of the city. Unfortunately they aren't for rent. Plus 'rinthers should have even cheaper apartments available in the 'rinth, as well as even shittier, cheaper food. It'd be nice if there were some empty rooms in the 'rinth that were just save rooms, and people could have the option of installing an easily breakable/pickable lock (I do think cheap locks/doors should be breakable). Since the 'rinth isn't going to be added to, these are suggestions for the future slum areas.

Coming from a mainly criminal background, rent has always been very difficult for me to afford, to the point of not being worth it. I'm also very active when I'm playing, so the water&food costs hit me hard. Independent hunters can sometimes get a lot of food&water for free, but I don't really know what their financial situation is. When I play a ranger, I'm usually a d-elf, so I can't add much comment there. This does offer some limited insight into why there is a dearth of criminals: the economics of playing a criminal are more difficult than the economics of other classes.

I don't know. 250 always seemed like a lot to me for a pretty crappy one-room apartment. I think people in my apartment-infested neighborhood in NYC, I would guess people tend to pay roughly 25% of their monthly income or so on an apartment, per month. If you think about it that way, people getting paid 250 'sid a month and needing to dump 100% of it into an apartment every month seems somewhat unrealistic. Also, people making 1000 sid a month and wanting to spend 25% of it on their apartment probably wouldn't like to stay in a 250 'sid dump anyway.

What's all this about 250 sids every RL week? It's once every TWO RL weeks for the cheapest places. I've seen the "nicer" places go for around 450-500 every two weeks. If you think the cheapest apartments cost 250 sids every RL week, then you're looking in the wrong buildings.

Not enough options.  I'm more of the opinion that rent is WAY WAY WAY too cheap right now.
-Yc

Well, I've only had two apartments. That is because only two characters of mine could afford it. I've had Sargeants, and lieutenants in the bynn, merchant house merchants, noble house employees, merchant house employees, and a few independents.

I've always wished the apartment prices were a different amount based on if you are a local, a house employee, or the militia soldier.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

In Arm 2, I'd like to see far less people renting apartments. What I'd love instead, are places that offer storage, and inns that offer various options, from meeting rooms for some affordable amount of sid, to rooms of various levels of plushness that cost less to rent than a comparable apartment does for the month but more than an apartment does for a night. I think that would mean that people could do whatever they need to be doing that requires a room, but spending less time locked up in apartments alone or in small groups for more extended periods of time.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Lizzie on January 14, 2008, 08:19:32 PM
What's all this about 250 sids every RL week? It's once every TWO RL weeks for the cheapest places. I've seen the "nicer" places go for around 450-500 every two weeks. If you think the cheapest apartments cost 250 sids every RL week, then you're looking in the wrong buildings.

Quote from: Help ApartmentsApartments                                                         (General)

Many inhabitants of Zalanthas' major cities live in less than ideal
conditions, and even a dirty room with no more than four walls and a ceiling
can be considered a luxury.

Some apartment complexes will allow you to rent rooms there.  At the
entrance of such a place there will be an NPC that responds to the
following commands.  Not all living spaces are rentable via an NPC and thus
some require other means to come by.

list                       View each apartment, its number, and its
                            price per 125 days of rental.
rent apartment (number)    Pay for and rent a given apartment.
rent renew                 Adds 125 days to your time, but cannot make
                            your time exceed 300 days. You will pay a
                            fraction of your rent for early payment.
rent time                  See how many days are remaining on your
                            apartment.
rent with (person)         Add a co-owner of your apartment.
rent with nobody           Remove all co-owners of your apartment.

Examples:
  > rent apartment 5
  > rent with elf

Note:
  If your time reaches zero your room may be rented to someone else; pay
your rent before this happens.  You can only rent one apartment at a time,
and there may be other limitations on what apartments allow you, how
many people can live in each apartment, and so on.

Note that "days" in this help file are given as in-character days.
See the help file on time for information on converting from in-character
to real-life time and back.

See also:
  time

125 days per rent cycle in game, divided by 16 game days per RL day, is 7.8 RL days per rent cycle. All rent cycles are thus approximately one RL week. Like I stated, the cheapest apartments in Allanak are 250 coins per RL week.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

My 30 days old Kadius Lieutenant could not afford an apartment, it was paid by his boss after many years of service, but my 1 day old independant "traders" (rangers, warriors, merchants, burglars, assassins, magickers) can all afford apartments easily.

On a slight derail, I don't understand why clanned people don't get at least triple of what they make now.. Sometimes I just have to laugh when someone thinks that their offer of free water and a cot is the greatest thing in the world (even if ICly, it probably is).

Quote from: Malken on January 14, 2008, 09:45:22 PM
On a slight derail, I don't understand why clanned people don't get at least triple of what they make now.. Sometimes I just have to laugh when someone thinks that their offer of free water and a cot is the greatest thing in the world (even if ICly, it probably is).

Agree totally, another good point and reason why I very rarely am clanned.

J-rod

Rent is especially bad in Storm. I think it's meant for characters existing on a tailor's income there. For an independent spice hunter, just paying for water is a problem, much less an apartment.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on January 14, 2008, 11:57:19 PM
Rent is especially bad in Storm. I think it's meant for characters existing on a tailor's income there. For an independent spice hunter, just paying for water is a problem, much less an apartment.

Spice sifting is for suckers and "secret" magikers and defliers.

Quote from: Cerelum on January 14, 2008, 09:52:47 PM

J-rod

I don't think that is a problem. I think the problem is there is too many people being unbias when they should be bias. Clannies should get a discounted rent because they are good for the money, while those foreign jobs should pay more as they probably ain't going to be paying again.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

As others have pointed out, there seems to be a large disparity in affordability for clanned and unclanned characters.

For me, I haven't found in particularly easy with any characters, clanned or not.  I've had characters who kept apartments through several rent cycles, but it would normally take almost all their earnings to cover it.

I think the affordability is -highly- dependent on someone's approach to the game.  One flaw I think the economy has currently is that it rewards powerplaying too much.  Some people push the economy to the limit and amass ridiculous fortunes.  When that happens, luxury apartments -- even one in every building -- seems to be a trivial expense. /rant
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

J-rod

Why is making large amounts of money such a big deal for every one of your PC's?  ???

Quote from: Akaramu on January 15, 2008, 02:03:09 PM
J-rod
Why is making large amounts of money such a big deal for every one of your PC's?  ???

This is a question that cannot be so easily answered.. If you play from work like some of us do, you have tons of time
to play Armageddon.. With your time, you can then either decide to idle in a tavern, idle in your clan hall, or decide
to play an independant and have the freedom to go where you want, when you want to (as long as it makes sense,
of course.) So if you have plenty of time to do so, then you make a lot of money, especially when you are experienced
with the game.. Face it, there's never that many people online until peak time.. If you play in the mornings of afternoons,
you'll be lucky if you meet anyone in Tuluk, or even luckier if you meet someone else from your clan.

So when you have plenty of time to kill in the game, it's only natural that you end up making much more than someone who
can only log in two hours a night and is part of a clan. So some of us can naturally and easily pay our rent with just one real life
day of playing in the week, while others struggle on and on because they don't have much time to play. Problem is trying to
make the two both enjoy the game and find a way to balance it all out (good luck trying to make one happy without making
the other side unhappy.)

I could just idle in the tavern all day long and hope that someone will come and entertain me, but that is not what I enjoy, so
until you can pack taverns with tons of players to interact with during the daytime, you'll just have to deal with some of us
not having a problem paying our virtual rents and then some  ;)

I sometimes wonder why apartments aren't cheap enough so just about all PCs can rent one if they want.  I mean, most commoners probably live somewhere besides public and clan dormitories, right?

Also, as mentioned, a lot of players just want a place to mudsex and a private location to quit out.

I'm not sure what great harm would be done if just about everyone had a place to live.

Perhaps all apartment costs should be cut in half (or the term doubled, same thing), and many more coded apartments added.

Quote from: Malken on January 14, 2008, 09:45:22 PMOn a slight derail, I don't understand why clanned people don't get at least triple of what they make now.. Sometimes I just have to laugh when someone thinks that their offer of free water and a cot is the greatest thing in the world (even if ICly, it probably is).

I think it's fine the way it is. Clans aren't going to waste all their coins on their employees. Most of what's out there is cheap labor. However, I think the greatest advantage to being clanned is in itself; the security of being apart of a group.

And some People amass huge silly fortunes without even trying, simply by having no expenses and living a while..

Myself, when in most clans, I cannot figure out (other then for mudsex) Why anybody would want a dingy old apartment.

I mean really, pay attention to what living conditions are in most clans compared to an apartment...Heh.

And as for mudsex, Rent a tavern room, its much more fun for other people who have listen that way:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

J-rod

It's not.  My last two characters didn't even spend their start off sids.  But when you talk about something like an Apartment or whatnot.  Making money is important..

To me, getting clanned is sometimes good, but most of the time bad.  If you have a super active clan, and lots of people in it, then it's not such a big deal, cause you're time is spent actively tooling around with your clan, involved in shit etc.

If I want to play something secretive and aloof, like a mindbender, burglar, pick pocket, or some other scheming underhanded fellow who has to have a place to hide out and conduct clandestine meetings.  I am better off playing on my own, doing things such as harvesting salt, chopping down trees, mining sid etc to pay my rent for my apartment.

Cause the jobs that should technically pay more, or have more perks, are often times more restrictive.

I remember I got hired to work for Salarr as a hunter, yet I got yelled at for going out hunting and selling to make sids, when the store room at Salarr was full of crap and bursting at the seams with 10 of every type of critter part there was.  So I figure I'll go out, selling a few things and then make myself some disposable income and got chastised for it.

Another time I worked for House Tenneshi and went out to harvest wood and got ejected from the house cause I was "making it look like the house didn't pay me enough" WELL HELLO! THEY DON'T!

So if I'm just a wandering ranger (My favorite type of character) who doesn't need to make money for much of anything cause he kills and skins everything, and gets his water from free sources, then I don't really give a care in the world about sids...

If I'm a water elementalist who can feed and water himself at the drop of a dime, I also again, don't really care about making money.

But if I required to buy food, buy water, replace gear, buy a mount, pay stable fees, pay for repairs etc etc, money is definately need!

J-Rod

January 15, 2008, 03:34:49 PM #30 Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:37:44 PM by Jiri
deleted

Quote from: X-D on January 15, 2008, 02:48:25 PM
And as for mudsex, Rent a tavern room, its much more fun for other people who have listen that way:)

Some of the people who have listen can still sneak/hide into your dingy apartment and watch....much more thrilling.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

I think that either rent is too high or it's up too often.

I wish rent were up less often for playability, but I still think it's too esxpensive... where are the poor and huddled masses staying?  The rooms for 50 'sid?  I'm talking shit shacks.  And what about uber luxury apartments?  There are three room ones in Tuluk... I think one or two (total) other apartments that are fancy would be nice, but I think more apartments are needed over all.

I can never, ever, ever make rent.

Rent is amazingly easy to make if I'm independent, but hard to do and unnecessary if I'm clanned. If I'm clanned, most of my time is spent at the compound associated with the clan, and that's where I get my free food, water, and board. If I'm unclanned, most of my time is spent making money, because that's something that my characters are drawn to, and can therefore afford nice apartments and luxuries. If I'm clanned, I have no time to go out salting, usually.

Quote from: bardess on January 15, 2008, 09:38:32 PM
I think that either rent is too high or it's up too often.

I wish rent were up less often for playability, but I still think it's too esxpensive... where are the poor and huddled masses staying?  The rooms for 50 'sid?  I'm talking shit shacks.  And what about uber luxury apartments?  There are three room ones in Tuluk... I think one or two (total) other apartments that are fancy would be nice, but I think more apartments are needed over all.

I can never, ever, ever make rent.

There are shit shacks in Tuluk, although no, they're not 50 sid.

I've only ever had one char have an apartment, and she had shared it.  We still had trouble making rent.  But I was planning clanned chars... sort of.

No man, no.  Very few people talk when mudsexxing.  The best I have seen so far have been like:
"Do you want me?"
"Oooooh!"
"Faster!"
"Ohh yes"
"Come together.. "

And disregarding the first line, all the rest came from the same PC.  It is like no PC ever dirty talks, wtf nobody even talks!

These are really REALLY rare.  All people do is just emote the shit out of the scene.
And what is up with people whispering in mudsexx?  Yell at the top of your lungs man, nobody cares when shit hits to that level.

Most backrooms are inaccessible unless you pay for it, bummer.  You can't even sneak up to watch a couple hitting it over the table.  Not to mention the backrooms are nearly half the rent you pay for an apartment.

I applaud people who do mudsexx in public and on the balcony.  You guys are awesome.
some of my posts are serious stuff

If you can't afford your rent and mostly just use your apartment for mudsex, why not charge an entrance fee and allow people to watch you doing it?

I guarantee you you'd be paying your entire rent in just one session!

Having played several clanned characters recently, I have rarely had an apartment.  As above, the costs are sometimes prohibitive, and the need for an apartment is limited.

However, since much of the world be currently being rewritten, I would like to see more "private rooms" for non-comissioned officers in clans: rooms that double as an office and a sleeping room.  Clan "sargents" should share their own pair of rooms, much like a two room suite, or have one office with three small private rooms off of them (one for each possible PC sargent).

The ArmII equivalent of a clan compound could IMO be more like the current Luir's setup, only on a smaller scale:

• there is a showroom, sales stalls, and public areas on the outside, patrolled by PC and NPC guards
    this are also contains either a tavern or meeting room to find merchants and crafters in, and an apartment rental area available to all but much cheaper for members of said clan
  • there is a secure internal area for clannies only, with barracks, storage, training rooms, etc
  • there is a highly secure area that everyday employees never see unless the "boss" wants to talk to them

This gives players a chance to have some privacy for whatever purposes suit their needs, but clan leaders could still keep tabs on them.  It also solves the problem of rents being too high for clanned characters, without actually giving them more money, and keeps them close by to attend to their duties.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

However, since much of the world be currently being rewritten, I would like to see more "private rooms" for non-comissioned officers in clans: rooms that double as an office and a sleeping room.  Clan "sargents" should share their own pair of rooms, much like a two room suite, or have one office with three small private rooms off of them (one for each possible PC sargent).

(and so on and so forth)

Morrolan

Not only do I love this idea, I tried to get this done in v.1 with my last Sergeant character. Unfortunately we were told that space in the area was at a premium, and even though there were coded rooms that (as far as I know) were not being used by ANY PC for any reason at all, they were not available to Sergeants.

It was crazy hard to have a conversation about supposedly sensitive situations with my co-Sergeant, even if it was just to complain about the Captain - because the Captain NPC was standing right there in the same barracks room as the table we would normally talk at. There was a semi-private room in the bar, but there was only one, and sneaking past the bartender wasn't that hard to do. Plus there was limited seating there, so if we wanted the whole unit to gather round for a private confab, but didn't want the VNPC units to overhear, we were just shit out of luck. Trying to have the entire PC population of the clan getting together, within the confines of the clan's "home base," with enough room for everyone to sit AND privacy was not an option. Which is a real shame, because it relied on people having the listen skill, which also meant that virtually, there were crafters and hunters and officers walking back and forth who -also- would have the listen skill, overhear what we were talking about, and report to their own units.

One shouldn't expect complete privacy in a "harsh desert world" where personal space is a luxury, but one should be able to assume that one of the wealthiest clans in the game has the resources to give each unit one room big enough to serve as a *private* office exclusively for that units' officers. With the caveat of course that once those officers are dead, the room is reserved for the next batch of officers, or another units' officers.

Or maybe they didn't want to give your PC that much privacy for IC reasons.

Quote from: Ghost on January 16, 2008, 11:36:05 AM
And disregarding the first line, all the rest came from the same PC.  It is like no PC ever dirty talks, wtf nobody even talks!

These are really REALLY rare.  All people do is just emote the shit out of the scene.

Lead by example? Come on, you know you want to.  ;)

I think apartment pricing is pretty good where it's at.  As it stands it is always a thought on ones mind to scrounge up that rent money.

One thing I realized though with my current character.  Is oh shit, if I want to keep my apartment I am going to have to play A LOT to keep up with the rent.  That's the only problem that I currently have.  It would be nice if the rent went by hours that you played behind the keyboard.  But then on that same note if someone buys an apartment and never logs on again...yeah.  The best solution might be to have your rent last longer but cost more to give one some flexibility.  Or create options to over pay the rent or something.

Don't forget that you can pay the rent for up to 300 IC days.

Quote from: Malken on January 28, 2008, 11:38:04 AM
Don't forget that you can pay the rent for up to 300 IC days.

...if you beg a noble for sids

J-Rod

Quote from: Cerelum on January 28, 2008, 11:38:44 AM

Yeah, that's called working for a noble.  Why shouldn't having a decent apartment be a perk of working for the rich folks?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on January 28, 2008, 12:11:18 PM

Yeah, that's called working for a noble.  Why shouldn't having a decent apartment be a perk of working for the rich folks?

And/Or be an obsidian miner.  ::)  :D

Quote from: Malken on January 28, 2008, 12:13:26 PM

I always got pissed with sid mining, cause I would wack the damn thing twelve times in a row, and get nothing, then some sod would wander up, wack it once and get a large chunk...

J-Rod

Quote from: Cerelum on January 28, 2008, 12:14:56 PM
Quote from: Malken on January 28, 2008, 12:13:26 PM

I always got pissed with sid mining, cause I would wack the damn thing twelve times in a row, and get nothing, then some sod would wander up, wack it once and get a large chunk...

J-Rod

Kill that sod and loot him. Zalanthas isn't a nice place.

after wacking the sid deposit twelve times I can't even lift my weapons let alone fight

J-Rod

Let's stay on-topic please.

Quote from: Barzalene on January 14, 2008, 09:04:13 PM
In Arm 2, I'd like to see far less people renting apartments. What I'd love instead, are places that offer storage, and inns that offer various options, from meeting rooms for some affordable amount of sid, to rooms of various levels of plushness that cost less to rent than a comparable apartment does for the month but more than an apartment does for a night. I think that would mean that people could do whatever they need to be doing that requires a room, but spending less time locked up in apartments alone or in small groups for more extended periods of time.

I've never understood why Nenyuk never offered personal lockboxes.  Even at 25 sid per RL week, Nenyuk could stuff one of those crappy apartments full of boxes and make a total killing.  Of course, this is just another way for Nenyuk to collect on their death tax as well.

But in general, I really agree with Barzalene and would like to see more granular forms of storage/rooming in order to promote player interaction/congregation.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

You can store certain items at the bank, FYI...

I would definitely like to see this expanded in 2.Arm.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Rent is a significant part of my characters' expenditure. But that is mostly because my characters often own more than two apartments at the same time (they pay the rents for others too, or as a temporarily stay place for their contacts and spies from other cities to stay and etc, etc, not because I like hoarding apartments). Most of my characters are clanned and city bound people who never go outside the walls.

I either don't play Armageddon, or I play /a lot/, so making money has never been an issue. The only difficulty was when I had a noble house clanned character who was also a criminal in Guild, so she had to be extra careful with getting money. But she was also very loaded. They are mostly in stealthy guilds. (luv assassins)
Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

February 02, 2008, 10:18:06 AM #54 Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:22:08 PM by Shalooonsh
Another thing I might suggest, though it doesn't have anything to do with pricing, is that the NPC's that own the building clear out apartments when they open up again.

<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

February 02, 2008, 10:22:06 AM #55 Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:09:39 PM by Shalooonsh
Wiped out by Shalooonsh due to IC money making schemery.

If you have a problem with it, email me, again.

I had a character who would rent an apartment in a building just so she could poke around the building and see who else was there, and what kind of lives they lived. Sort of a semi-spy kind of thing. She knew there were people who loved breaking open apartment doors so she'd just wander into open apartments and take a look around. She found a few doozies, heh..and of course it's always nice to help yourself to a little something on your way out. If I had planned for her to be a burglar, I think I probably would never have had to actually pick a lock, and she would've ended up rich anyway :)

The last few posts are the kind of stuff that I would really rather not see on the boards.

It's equivalent to saying:  "hey, if you want to make a mountain of 'sid, go 10 n, 8 w, 4 n, 6e from the west gate of 'nak and pick the plant, then go to Red Storm and sell it at merchant Amos's shop.  He loads with 1000 'sid every reboot!"

It's the kind of game mechanics stuff that does -not- need to be public knowledge.

I hope these things get moderated.

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I don't think it's IC at all, if the admins leave all the loot after the apartment goes for rent, which they could easily code that the landlord steals everything (clearing the rooms) when you die.

What is wrong with checking up on uber-burglars apartment after he croaks, nothing.

Stop being such IC tattletales, trust me, the admins tend to overreact on this sometimes on their own accord, they don't need players doing iit too.

J-Rod

There wasn't any IC "mechanics stuff" in my post Synthesis. The help files for guild-burglar and pick explains it very succinctly; some people can pick open locked doors. The help file for "apartments" also indicates pretty clearly that you need a key to get in a locked apartment if you don't happen to be someone who can break in. Which also implies (due to lack of modern auto-lock technology) that you also have to re-lock the door if you don't want it to remain unlocked. This isn't any kind of ic info, it's pretty standard in all worlds, whether game or real life, where you have locks that don't autolock and keys to lock doors.

That my character took advantage of this is also not IC, because my character is long dead, and I didn't specify which building(s) or even which PC, in which city, or even if it was in a city. There is nothing about my post that was IC, or divulging of secret mechanics stuff that players shouldn't know about.

Whatever. It doesn't seem like there's any reason not to moderate out the last three or four posts, unless it'll make everyone feel like they've been terribly censored.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."