Poll: Apartment Pricing

Started by Vanth, January 14, 2008, 03:47:33 PM

What is your experience with current apartment pricing?

Rent is an insignificant part of my characters' expenses.
6 (7.5%)
Rent is pretty easy to make, especially with roommates.
12 (15%)
Rent takes a significant portion of my money, but I have no problem making it.
28 (35%)
It's always questionable whether or not I'll have enough for rent.
23 (28.8%)
Renting an apartment is beyond my characters' means.
11 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Let's stay on-topic please.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: Barzalene on January 14, 2008, 09:04:13 PM
In Arm 2, I'd like to see far less people renting apartments. What I'd love instead, are places that offer storage, and inns that offer various options, from meeting rooms for some affordable amount of sid, to rooms of various levels of plushness that cost less to rent than a comparable apartment does for the month but more than an apartment does for a night. I think that would mean that people could do whatever they need to be doing that requires a room, but spending less time locked up in apartments alone or in small groups for more extended periods of time.

I've never understood why Nenyuk never offered personal lockboxes.  Even at 25 sid per RL week, Nenyuk could stuff one of those crappy apartments full of boxes and make a total killing.  Of course, this is just another way for Nenyuk to collect on their death tax as well.

But in general, I really agree with Barzalene and would like to see more granular forms of storage/rooming in order to promote player interaction/congregation.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

You can store certain items at the bank, FYI...

I would definitely like to see this expanded in 2.Arm.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Rent is a significant part of my characters' expenditure. But that is mostly because my characters often own more than two apartments at the same time (they pay the rents for others too, or as a temporarily stay place for their contacts and spies from other cities to stay and etc, etc, not because I like hoarding apartments). Most of my characters are clanned and city bound people who never go outside the walls.

I either don't play Armageddon, or I play /a lot/, so making money has never been an issue. The only difficulty was when I had a noble house clanned character who was also a criminal in Guild, so she had to be extra careful with getting money. But she was also very loaded. They are mostly in stealthy guilds. (luv assassins)
Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

February 02, 2008, 10:18:06 AM #54 Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:22:08 PM by Shalooonsh
Another thing I might suggest, though it doesn't have anything to do with pricing, is that the NPC's that own the building clear out apartments when they open up again.

<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

February 02, 2008, 10:22:06 AM #55 Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:09:39 PM by Shalooonsh
Wiped out by Shalooonsh due to IC money making schemery.

If you have a problem with it, email me, again.

I had a character who would rent an apartment in a building just so she could poke around the building and see who else was there, and what kind of lives they lived. Sort of a semi-spy kind of thing. She knew there were people who loved breaking open apartment doors so she'd just wander into open apartments and take a look around. She found a few doozies, heh..and of course it's always nice to help yourself to a little something on your way out. If I had planned for her to be a burglar, I think I probably would never have had to actually pick a lock, and she would've ended up rich anyway :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The last few posts are the kind of stuff that I would really rather not see on the boards.

It's equivalent to saying:  "hey, if you want to make a mountain of 'sid, go 10 n, 8 w, 4 n, 6e from the west gate of 'nak and pick the plant, then go to Red Storm and sell it at merchant Amos's shop.  He loads with 1000 'sid every reboot!"

It's the kind of game mechanics stuff that does -not- need to be public knowledge.

I hope these things get moderated.

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I don't think it's IC at all, if the admins leave all the loot after the apartment goes for rent, which they could easily code that the landlord steals everything (clearing the rooms) when you die.

What is wrong with checking up on uber-burglars apartment after he croaks, nothing.

Stop being such IC tattletales, trust me, the admins tend to overreact on this sometimes on their own accord, they don't need players doing iit too.

J-Rod

There wasn't any IC "mechanics stuff" in my post Synthesis. The help files for guild-burglar and pick explains it very succinctly; some people can pick open locked doors. The help file for "apartments" also indicates pretty clearly that you need a key to get in a locked apartment if you don't happen to be someone who can break in. Which also implies (due to lack of modern auto-lock technology) that you also have to re-lock the door if you don't want it to remain unlocked. This isn't any kind of ic info, it's pretty standard in all worlds, whether game or real life, where you have locks that don't autolock and keys to lock doors.

That my character took advantage of this is also not IC, because my character is long dead, and I didn't specify which building(s) or even which PC, in which city, or even if it was in a city. There is nothing about my post that was IC, or divulging of secret mechanics stuff that players shouldn't know about.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Whatever. It doesn't seem like there's any reason not to moderate out the last three or four posts, unless it'll make everyone feel like they've been terribly censored.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."