Poll: Apartment Pricing

Started by Vanth, January 14, 2008, 03:47:33 PM

What is your experience with current apartment pricing?

Rent is an insignificant part of my characters' expenses.
6 (7.5%)
Rent is pretty easy to make, especially with roommates.
12 (15%)
Rent takes a significant portion of my money, but I have no problem making it.
28 (35%)
It's always questionable whether or not I'll have enough for rent.
23 (28.8%)
Renting an apartment is beyond my characters' means.
11 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Quote from: Akaramu on January 15, 2008, 02:03:09 PM
Agree totally, another good point and reason why I very rarely am clanned.
J-rod
Why is making large amounts of money such a big deal for every one of your PC's?  ???

This is a question that cannot be so easily answered.. If you play from work like some of us do, you have tons of time
to play Armageddon.. With your time, you can then either decide to idle in a tavern, idle in your clan hall, or decide
to play an independant and have the freedom to go where you want, when you want to (as long as it makes sense,
of course.) So if you have plenty of time to do so, then you make a lot of money, especially when you are experienced
with the game.. Face it, there's never that many people online until peak time.. If you play in the mornings of afternoons,
you'll be lucky if you meet anyone in Tuluk, or even luckier if you meet someone else from your clan.

So when you have plenty of time to kill in the game, it's only natural that you end up making much more than someone who
can only log in two hours a night and is part of a clan. So some of us can naturally and easily pay our rent with just one real life
day of playing in the week, while others struggle on and on because they don't have much time to play. Problem is trying to
make the two both enjoy the game and find a way to balance it all out (good luck trying to make one happy without making
the other side unhappy.)

I could just idle in the tavern all day long and hope that someone will come and entertain me, but that is not what I enjoy, so
until you can pack taverns with tons of players to interact with during the daytime, you'll just have to deal with some of us
not having a problem paying our virtual rents and then some  ;)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I sometimes wonder why apartments aren't cheap enough so just about all PCs can rent one if they want.  I mean, most commoners probably live somewhere besides public and clan dormitories, right?

Also, as mentioned, a lot of players just want a place to mudsex and a private location to quit out.

I'm not sure what great harm would be done if just about everyone had a place to live.

Perhaps all apartment costs should be cut in half (or the term doubled, same thing), and many more coded apartments added.

Quote from: Malken on January 14, 2008, 09:45:22 PMOn a slight derail, I don't understand why clanned people don't get at least triple of what they make now.. Sometimes I just have to laugh when someone thinks that their offer of free water and a cot is the greatest thing in the world (even if ICly, it probably is).

I think it's fine the way it is. Clans aren't going to waste all their coins on their employees. Most of what's out there is cheap labor. However, I think the greatest advantage to being clanned is in itself; the security of being apart of a group.

And some People amass huge silly fortunes without even trying, simply by having no expenses and living a while..

Myself, when in most clans, I cannot figure out (other then for mudsex) Why anybody would want a dingy old apartment.

I mean really, pay attention to what living conditions are in most clans compared to an apartment...Heh.

And as for mudsex, Rent a tavern room, its much more fun for other people who have listen that way:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Cerelum on January 14, 2008, 09:52:47 PM
Agree totally, another good point and reason why I very rarely am clanned.

J-rod
Why is making large amounts of money such a big deal for every one of your PC's?  ???

It's not.  My last two characters didn't even spend their start off sids.  But when you talk about something like an Apartment or whatnot.  Making money is important..

To me, getting clanned is sometimes good, but most of the time bad.  If you have a super active clan, and lots of people in it, then it's not such a big deal, cause you're time is spent actively tooling around with your clan, involved in shit etc.

If I want to play something secretive and aloof, like a mindbender, burglar, pick pocket, or some other scheming underhanded fellow who has to have a place to hide out and conduct clandestine meetings.  I am better off playing on my own, doing things such as harvesting salt, chopping down trees, mining sid etc to pay my rent for my apartment.

Cause the jobs that should technically pay more, or have more perks, are often times more restrictive.

I remember I got hired to work for Salarr as a hunter, yet I got yelled at for going out hunting and selling to make sids, when the store room at Salarr was full of crap and bursting at the seams with 10 of every type of critter part there was.  So I figure I'll go out, selling a few things and then make myself some disposable income and got chastised for it.

Another time I worked for House Tenneshi and went out to harvest wood and got ejected from the house cause I was "making it look like the house didn't pay me enough" WELL HELLO! THEY DON'T!

So if I'm just a wandering ranger (My favorite type of character) who doesn't need to make money for much of anything cause he kills and skins everything, and gets his water from free sources, then I don't really give a care in the world about sids...

If I'm a water elementalist who can feed and water himself at the drop of a dime, I also again, don't really care about making money.

But if I required to buy food, buy water, replace gear, buy a mount, pay stable fees, pay for repairs etc etc, money is definately need!

J-Rod

January 15, 2008, 03:34:49 PM #30 Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:37:44 PM by Jiri
deleted

Quote from: X-D on January 15, 2008, 02:48:25 PM
And as for mudsex, Rent a tavern room, its much more fun for other people who have listen that way:)

Some of the people who have listen can still sneak/hide into your dingy apartment and watch....much more thrilling.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

I think that either rent is too high or it's up too often.

I wish rent were up less often for playability, but I still think it's too esxpensive... where are the poor and huddled masses staying?  The rooms for 50 'sid?  I'm talking shit shacks.  And what about uber luxury apartments?  There are three room ones in Tuluk... I think one or two (total) other apartments that are fancy would be nice, but I think more apartments are needed over all.

I can never, ever, ever make rent.

Rent is amazingly easy to make if I'm independent, but hard to do and unnecessary if I'm clanned. If I'm clanned, most of my time is spent at the compound associated with the clan, and that's where I get my free food, water, and board. If I'm unclanned, most of my time is spent making money, because that's something that my characters are drawn to, and can therefore afford nice apartments and luxuries. If I'm clanned, I have no time to go out salting, usually.

Quote from: bardess on January 15, 2008, 09:38:32 PM
I think that either rent is too high or it's up too often.

I wish rent were up less often for playability, but I still think it's too esxpensive... where are the poor and huddled masses staying?  The rooms for 50 'sid?  I'm talking shit shacks.  And what about uber luxury apartments?  There are three room ones in Tuluk... I think one or two (total) other apartments that are fancy would be nice, but I think more apartments are needed over all.

I can never, ever, ever make rent.

There are shit shacks in Tuluk, although no, they're not 50 sid.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I've only ever had one char have an apartment, and she had shared it.  We still had trouble making rent.  But I was planning clanned chars... sort of.

No man, no.  Very few people talk when mudsexxing.  The best I have seen so far have been like:
"Do you want me?"
"Oooooh!"
"Faster!"
"Ohh yes"
"Come together.. "

And disregarding the first line, all the rest came from the same PC.  It is like no PC ever dirty talks, wtf nobody even talks!

These are really REALLY rare.  All people do is just emote the shit out of the scene.
And what is up with people whispering in mudsexx?  Yell at the top of your lungs man, nobody cares when shit hits to that level.

Most backrooms are inaccessible unless you pay for it, bummer.  You can't even sneak up to watch a couple hitting it over the table.  Not to mention the backrooms are nearly half the rent you pay for an apartment.

I applaud people who do mudsexx in public and on the balcony.  You guys are awesome.
some of my posts are serious stuff

If you can't afford your rent and mostly just use your apartment for mudsex, why not charge an entrance fee and allow people to watch you doing it?

I guarantee you you'd be paying your entire rent in just one session!

Having played several clanned characters recently, I have rarely had an apartment.  As above, the costs are sometimes prohibitive, and the need for an apartment is limited.

However, since much of the world be currently being rewritten, I would like to see more "private rooms" for non-comissioned officers in clans: rooms that double as an office and a sleeping room.  Clan "sargents" should share their own pair of rooms, much like a two room suite, or have one office with three small private rooms off of them (one for each possible PC sargent).

The ArmII equivalent of a clan compound could IMO be more like the current Luir's setup, only on a smaller scale:

• there is a showroom, sales stalls, and public areas on the outside, patrolled by PC and NPC guards
    this are also contains either a tavern or meeting room to find merchants and crafters in, and an apartment rental area available to all but much cheaper for members of said clan
  • there is a secure internal area for clannies only, with barracks, storage, training rooms, etc
  • there is a highly secure area that everyday employees never see unless the "boss" wants to talk to them

This gives players a chance to have some privacy for whatever purposes suit their needs, but clan leaders could still keep tabs on them.  It also solves the problem of rents being too high for clanned characters, without actually giving them more money, and keeps them close by to attend to their duties.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

However, since much of the world be currently being rewritten, I would like to see more "private rooms" for non-comissioned officers in clans: rooms that double as an office and a sleeping room.  Clan "sargents" should share their own pair of rooms, much like a two room suite, or have one office with three small private rooms off of them (one for each possible PC sargent).

(and so on and so forth)

Morrolan

Not only do I love this idea, I tried to get this done in v.1 with my last Sergeant character. Unfortunately we were told that space in the area was at a premium, and even though there were coded rooms that (as far as I know) were not being used by ANY PC for any reason at all, they were not available to Sergeants.

It was crazy hard to have a conversation about supposedly sensitive situations with my co-Sergeant, even if it was just to complain about the Captain - because the Captain NPC was standing right there in the same barracks room as the table we would normally talk at. There was a semi-private room in the bar, but there was only one, and sneaking past the bartender wasn't that hard to do. Plus there was limited seating there, so if we wanted the whole unit to gather round for a private confab, but didn't want the VNPC units to overhear, we were just shit out of luck. Trying to have the entire PC population of the clan getting together, within the confines of the clan's "home base," with enough room for everyone to sit AND privacy was not an option. Which is a real shame, because it relied on people having the listen skill, which also meant that virtually, there were crafters and hunters and officers walking back and forth who -also- would have the listen skill, overhear what we were talking about, and report to their own units.

One shouldn't expect complete privacy in a "harsh desert world" where personal space is a luxury, but one should be able to assume that one of the wealthiest clans in the game has the resources to give each unit one room big enough to serve as a *private* office exclusively for that units' officers. With the caveat of course that once those officers are dead, the room is reserved for the next batch of officers, or another units' officers.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Or maybe they didn't want to give your PC that much privacy for IC reasons.

Quote from: Ghost on January 16, 2008, 11:36:05 AM
And disregarding the first line, all the rest came from the same PC.  It is like no PC ever dirty talks, wtf nobody even talks!

These are really REALLY rare.  All people do is just emote the shit out of the scene.

Lead by example? Come on, you know you want to.  ;)

I think apartment pricing is pretty good where it's at.  As it stands it is always a thought on ones mind to scrounge up that rent money.

One thing I realized though with my current character.  Is oh shit, if I want to keep my apartment I am going to have to play A LOT to keep up with the rent.  That's the only problem that I currently have.  It would be nice if the rent went by hours that you played behind the keyboard.  But then on that same note if someone buys an apartment and never logs on again...yeah.  The best solution might be to have your rent last longer but cost more to give one some flexibility.  Or create options to over pay the rent or something.

Don't forget that you can pay the rent for up to 300 IC days.

Quote from: Malken on January 28, 2008, 11:38:04 AM
Don't forget that you can pay the rent for up to 300 IC days.

...if you beg a noble for sids

J-Rod

Quote from: Cerelum on January 28, 2008, 11:38:44 AM

Yeah, that's called working for a noble.  Why shouldn't having a decent apartment be a perk of working for the rich folks?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on January 28, 2008, 12:11:18 PM

Yeah, that's called working for a noble.  Why shouldn't having a decent apartment be a perk of working for the rich folks?

And/Or be an obsidian miner.  ::)  :D

Quote from: Malken on January 28, 2008, 12:13:26 PM

I always got pissed with sid mining, cause I would wack the damn thing twelve times in a row, and get nothing, then some sod would wander up, wack it once and get a large chunk...

J-Rod

Quote from: Cerelum on January 28, 2008, 12:14:56 PM
Quote from: Malken on January 28, 2008, 12:13:26 PM

I always got pissed with sid mining, cause I would wack the damn thing twelve times in a row, and get nothing, then some sod would wander up, wack it once and get a large chunk...

J-Rod

Kill that sod and loot him. Zalanthas isn't a nice place.

after wacking the sid deposit twelve times I can't even lift my weapons let alone fight

J-Rod