Ideas for tuluki custom tattooer

Started by Raesanos, October 15, 2007, 05:43:33 PM

Any ideas on what can be done to make the Tuluki custom tattooer differant from the Allanaki one?  In terms of what is offered, not code differences.

Am thinking about having them both use local animals for example.

A variety of bunnies and trees, pink hearts, and cute looking furry woodland creatures. And all the styles should be anime.

More serious answer:

Local animals would be good. Could offer things like the sun, (various phases of) moons, and stars as well. Tuluk also has a greater variety of wildlife handy, which would mean they likely have easier access to dyes, and a wider variety of them. So maybe the tattooist could offer choices in bright, vibrant and unusual colors in addition to the normal ones.

Styles should be different. Tuluk's got an emphasis on florals, lacy patterns, more intricate stuff, AND it's more of a tattoo culture, so one would think the custom tattooist would be a better artist than the Nakki one. So I'd suggest keywords for tattoos like:

Flowery
Lacy
Intricate
Elaborate
Finely-inked
Detailed

Colors: Eliminate jade. (Heh.) Put in silver and blood-red for the moons. I agree that Tuluk should have a broader potential color range.

Icons: Eliminate the cross. Maybe put in a "sun and moons" combination.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Styles should be different. Tuluk's got an emphasis on florals, lacy patterns, more intricate stuff, AND it's more of a tattoo culture, so one would think the custom tattooist would be a better artist than the Nakki one. So I'd suggest keywords for tattoos like:

Flowery
Lacy
Intricate
Elaborate
Finely-inked
Detailed

Colors: Eliminate jade. (Heh.) Put in silver and blood-red for the moons. I agree that Tuluk should have a broader potential color range.

Icons: Eliminate the cross. Maybe put in a "sun and moons" combination.

For once, I agree with you on something.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

How about some face and body paintings as well as henna and tattoos?

There are some nice pictures here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tribe/tribes/matis/index.shtml

I like the spots and stripes, but the whiskers a tad too open to abuse?

Lattices, flowers same scope as tattoos I suppose...and fun for parties, kids!

Actually those ones are tattoos, but I saw a tribe on tv with paint some time ago and I couldn't help but think of Tuluk.

I also agree with Gimfalisette's ideas.

I really think Tuluk could use more abstract designs as well.  They're the folks most likely to decorate their skin for the sake of art and for the sake of simple beautification.  Some of my favorite tattoos there are the chaotic izdari board design and the series of simple slash marks.

Spirals, chevrons, striated lines, blackwork (biz slang for large areas of pure black ink), rectangles/triangles/circles/diamonds, dotwork, curvilinear designs, etc.  Also, the option to have 'symmetric' or 'asymmetric' in the tattoo's sdesc would be the bomb.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

What does the Allanaki tattooist do?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"What does the Allanaki tattooist do?

Stabs you in the head and calls it a tattoo.

And Tuluki tattoos stab you in the back?

Then they call themselves 'Amos'.

Quote from: "mansa"What does the Allanaki tattooist do?

Lets you construct a custom tattoo with a given style, color, and image.

This is an idea for both tattooists, but I'd like the option to not take any kind of adjective.

I might want "a jade sword tattoo" instead of "a plain jade sword tattoo."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Just for badness, put 'tower' in the Tuluki one. The Allanaki has a pyramid, which is really kind of..wtf, since that's where everyone knows Muk lives. In a pretty pyramid.

EDIT: In all seriousness, I'd throw in a few of the higher ranking noble house symbols as well. Kenku, quill, mace, ox, etc.

Quote from: "WWYD"EDIT: In all seriousness, I'd throw in a few of the higher ranking noble house symbols as well. Kenku, quill, mace, ox, etc.

I would not do this. The noble houses already have their own private tattooists which are accessible to nobles, employees, and partisans. The Chosen wouldn't want just anyone running around the streets wearing their symbols.

You could institute some of the features brought up for arm 2.0 - like maybe certain types of facial make-up, even though they don't change the s-desc.

I'd think tuluk a bit bigger on that sort of thing. Aside from that, I could see a bit more designs illustrating history. I like the moon ideas, but would like to see something that shows the rebellion - maybe like a shattered jade cross with an over-lapping sun or something.

One I think would be interesting is a design of the two colored moons behind a pyramid - so long as designs like this don't interfere with caste and house markings, like Gimfalisette mentioned.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Colors: Eliminate jade. (Heh.)

I disagree. Winrothols use jade as "their" color too. Go, jade and silver!

Quote from: "Elgiva"
Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Colors: Eliminate jade. (Heh.)

I disagree. Winrothols use jade as "their" color too. Go, jade and silver!

Winrothols should already have their own custom tattoos available in their estate, and I really don't think jade would be seen on anyone else in Tuluk, unless it's a couple of special tattoos that were done for the Rebellion and the Copper War and the like, which even those are only going to be seen on a select few individuals to whom they have meaning. (In keeping with the Tuluki custom of wearing one's history on one's body.) On anyone BUT a Winrothol Chosen/employee/partisan/slave who is wearing jade and silver together, just jade as a standalone color should immediately invoke "Allanak!" And that is A Bad Thing (tm) in Tuluk.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"On anyone BUT a Winrothol Chosen/employee/partisan/slave who is wearing jade and silver together, just jade as a standalone color should immediately invoke "Allanak!" And that is A Bad Thing (tm) in Tuluk.

I still disagree. I even have a feeling there already -is- a tattoo with jade used in mdesc in Tuluk (but I can't check now).

Well, unless Allanak avoids all tattoos with white color. In that case I might agree.  :twisted:

I think it's getting a little too simplistic when we're excluding whole colors just because some house or city has a "claim" to them.

If a Tuluki is going around wearing a tattoo of the Allanaki Jade Cross, that's one thing. If they just want a jade tattoo of a tregil on their cheek to match their eyes, or the new hat they bought from Kadius, is that a big deal?

Another example: The colors red and black are shared by several different Houses. If I get a red and black wyvern on my arm, I'm probably displaying Borsail pride. A red and black eclipsed sun is probably Kurac. Suppose now that I get a red and black crossbow tattoo. Is that tattoo reminding people of Borsail AND Kurac just by its colors, or do I maybe just like the colors red and black?
subdue thread
release thread pit

The point is, Tuluk doesn't -need- "jade" in its color selection. If there's a green or three needed other than "green", there's a lot of other choices: emerald, chartreuse, grass-green, malachite, moss-green, olive, viridian, etc.

Leaving jade in will only serve to muddle the cultural waters, add confusion, and potentially put a newbie who went to get a leet jade tattoo in the awkward position of explaining to a Faithful or Chosen why they're wearing Allanak's signature color.

As to "red" and "black" and the like, those are generic color names (category names), not specific colors, whereas jade is a specific color of the green category. If Tuluk's city-state colors were stated to be "vermillion" and "alabaster" (instead of "red" and "white") and those colors had become intensely associated with Tuluki citizenship/patriotism in game, then I would say yes those colors should not show up in Allanak at all, individually or in combination. Alas, Tuluki color-symbols are all generic color categories instead. Even so, you will never find the red-and-white color combination being used in Allanak in any fond context, and it would be reacted against pretty strongly.

-Trees, leaves, and other northern flora related things
-Instruments and other art related things
-northern fauna
-the color ivory and brighter colors in general
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Styles should be different. Tuluk's got an emphasis on florals, lacy patterns, more intricate stuff, AND it's more of a tattoo culture, so one would think the custom tattooist would be a better artist than the Nakki one. So I'd suggest keywords for tattoos like:

Flowery
Lacy
Intricate
Elaborate
Finely-inked
Detailed

I have to disagree here.  If anything, -Allanak- should have the flowery lacy finely-inked tattoos since 'nak is supposed to be more decadent and snooty, at least among nobility.  Tuluk should be more tribal and raw with heavy emphasis on castes, as its roots lie in that tradition.  Utep was a warlord, y'all.  For reelz.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Come on!

Everyone knows the Southrons are the Barbarians.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWbEHGIfEeM&NR=1

I'm -sure- something like this has been posted before, but it can't hurt.

Basically the technique you'd be using is taking a bone with a sharp point, dipping it in ink and moving it along the skin, pounding it rhythmically with a mallet.

Getting beautiful designs is a matter of patience and skill but the results can look pretty incredible.  The thing that you should keep in mind with design though is that you're not going to have solid blocks of color, there's usually that texture of dots, though you can get really close.  Also there's not likely to be fine detail, so portraiture is probably a bad idea.

Also it takes a while and bruises like hell. ;)  

Anyway, I hope that's of interest to someone. I saw someone getting a piece done in the icelandic tradition once and it was pretty fascinating to watch.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"The point is, Tuluk doesn't -need- "jade" in its color selection. ... Leaving jade in will only serve to muddle the cultural waters, add confusion, and potentially put a newbie who went to get a leet jade tattoo in the awkward position of explaining to a Faithful or Chosen why they're wearing Allanak's signature color.

See, again, I think this is taking too simplistic a view. If nobles and templars are harassing people for wearing a color, I think they should think about more interesting reasons to harass PCs. There's a difference between wearing all jade&black/red&white, complete with Allanaki/Tuluki symbols, and just wearing a color. Think of it like sports teams -- you don't associate a guy wearing a color to a team that has that colors, unless he's wearing the logo.

QuoteAs to "red" and "black" and the like, those are generic color names (category names), not specific colors, whereas jade is a specific color of the green category.

Well, okay. Crimson is a specific color in the red category and is the color of Borsail and a few other clans. Even so, I think it would be silly of a PC in the game to flag down a character wearing a crimson cloak and accuse them of being a Borsailophile.

Maybe part of it is that we're playing a text game and have less flexibility than actual reality, but I think making the statement that "Jade = Allanak" everywhere is a bit over the top.
subdue thread
release thread pit