Ideas for tuluki custom tattooer

Started by Raesanos, October 15, 2007, 05:43:33 PM

From my experience you can wear jade or black as long as they're not together, or if it's just in small amounts.  If it's a patriotic event, though, it's probably not a good idea to wear jade or black or even green, because you might not wake up the next morning.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"The point is, Tuluk doesn't -need- "jade" in its color selection. If there's a green or three needed other than "green", there's a lot of other choices: emerald, chartreuse, grass-green, malachite, moss-green, olive, viridian, etc.

Leaving jade in will only serve to muddle the cultural waters, add confusion, and potentially put a newbie who went to get a leet jade tattoo in the awkward position of explaining to a Faithful or Chosen why they're wearing Allanak's signature color.

As to "red" and "black" and the like, those are generic color names (category names), not specific colors, whereas jade is a specific color of the green category. If Tuluk's city-state colors were stated to be "vermillion" and "alabaster" (instead of "red" and "white") and those colors had become intensely associated with Tuluki citizenship/patriotism in game, then I would say yes those colors should not show up in Allanak at all, individually or in combination. Alas, Tuluki color-symbols are all generic color categories instead. Even so, you will never find the red-and-white color combination being used in Allanak in any fond context, and it would be reacted against pretty strongly.

Maybe I'm being away from the crowd here, but I like it when cities have designated colors, unless a neutral house has similar colors. That's the way it used to happen - you could identify an ambassador or something (Not that tuluk and Allanak seem to have that relationship anyway)

I would think a Tuluki commoner out of their heads for willingly wearing the color jade, unless employed by House Winrothol.
"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”
  -- Prince Gautama Siddharta

What you have to think about it is jade is just a color of green.  Just because a sdesc says "jade" it doesn't mean ONLY Allanaki's wear that shade of green.  People wear blue clothes, little red dresses etc, the first thing people don't think is OMG A PATRIOT.  There is a big difference between wearing a color and wearing an indication of a color.  Now wearing a jade cross can get you in trouble sure, but wearing jade?  That's a little OOCly extreme if you ask me.

There are examples throughout history of style/color of specifically signifying certain classes.  For example you can dig up trial records from New England shortly before the American independence where people were accused of 'dressing above their station'.  

A lot of the time this was enforced by the rarity of dyes, since the process for creating blue/purple dyes for example was fairly hard it wasn't likely you'd see poor people running around in purple silk anyway.  And since shades were fairly hard to perfect, it wasn't likely that someone would be quibbling in court about whether or not a color is "azure".

How much bearing that has on this discussion depends largely on the docs I guess.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: "Bebop"That's a little OOCly extreme if you ask me.

To each her own.
"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”
  -- Prince Gautama Siddharta

I think if I saw a southerner wearing red and white, or a Tuluki wearing jade, I'd think to myself "Heh heh, bad fashion sense." I probably would not think "OH MY GOD AN ENEMY PATRIOT!!"

But hey, everybody can react differently to things like that.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

I think it should be up to the character whether they'd wear the colour or not, not up to the selection at the tattooist.

It's not like only Tulukis get tattoos in Tuluk.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: "Southie"I think if I saw a southerner wearing red and white, or a Tuluki wearing jade, I'd think to myself "Heh heh, bad fashion sense." I probably would not think "OH MY GOD AN ENEMY PATRIOT!!"

But hey, everybody can react differently to things like that.

I really don't think any sensible Tuluki or Nakki templar or noble or anyone in a position to actually screw with PCs would REALLY think that someone was a traitor/spy/etc. for wearing the color of the opposite city-state.

But the point of the whole thing was, smart Tulukis would not be wearing jade, unless they were associated with Winrothol and thus wearing jade AND silver. Smart Nakkis would not be wearing red and white together. Yes, it's a fashion thing; fashionable Nakkis would also not be wearing the flowing, skin-baring styles of Tuluk, just like you're not going to see a Tuluki wearing a collar that keeps his/her head from moving more than fractionally.

It's a cultural distinction. Why is there something wrong with keeping it? Why are we arguing that jade should be appropriate in Tuluk when there are probably fifteen other descriptors for green that could be used instead? Tuluk does not NEED jade tattoos.

(The above question not directed at Southie, but to everyone who apparently thinks jade is a necessary color choice in Tuluk.)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Actually I remember this from playing a Kadian:

Quote from: "The Documentation"However, the one staple of the Allanaki wardrobe is the color white.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/clothing.html

You may think oocly Lirathan, but that is typically the color of choice in 'Nak according to the documentation.

Quote from: "Bebop"
Quote from: "The Documentation"However, the one staple of the Allanaki wardrobe is the color white.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/clothing.html

You may think oocly Lirathan, but that is typically the color of choice in 'Nak according to the documentation.

White is not "the color of choice" in Allanak. The documentation just means to say that white never goes out of fashion in Allanak, like many other colors do. If orange is in the Kadian shops right now in Allanak, then orange is in fashion; if orange is NOT in the Kadian shops, then it is OUT of fashion and therefore passe. However, white cannot be out of fashion. That does not, however, imply that it is the principal color worn.

And like I said before, "white" is a color category, not a specific color name/shade. This is why "white" or "red" alone are not an issue in Allanak; however the combination of red and white would definitely cause raised eyebrows. "Jade", though, is a specific color of green which is highly and irrevocably associated with Allanak.

There's other things like this in game. For example, you're not going to see people in Allanak wearing sun-symbol stuff, unless they're Krathis maybe. In Tuluk, you're not going to see anyone wearing dragon-symbol stuff. Pyramids indicate Tuluk, too, and crosses indicate Allanak. These are important pieces of cultural identity.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

As an ex-gang-member, I can safely say that certain factions in RL certainly do associate colors with other factions. To this day, even in my now mundane life, when I see one of the homies wearing blue or red, I instantly wonder if that person is a blood or crip. I dismiss it nearly instantly as well, because where I live, bloods and crips aren't as wide-spread as they are in California.

But I still instantly, without mental effort, associate colors with sects and factions. In a barbaric world like Zalanthas, I can easily picture it being more extreme.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The new tattooer is in now, sorry for the delay, had to get a JavaScript utility fixed before I could make the necessary change.

Feedback welcome as always.