Mapping

Started by Ocotillo, September 15, 2007, 01:55:15 PM

It's occured to me that mapping would be...rather useful in playing.

Now, I swear I'll reset my maps with different characters and respect all the proper boundaries. Anyone have a good mapper that interacts with zMud happily?
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

I suggest to use Excel and create it by hand.

When it's dark out, or if you're in a sandstorm, you'll totally mess up a mapper on your Mud Client.

Plus, when you create it in excel or on paper, you remember it better.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

And you can build 3d maps in excel.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I like graph paper and pencil crayons.  I use different colors for different kinds of landscape, and draw tiny pictures for landmarks.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I go oldschool and use something called memory. You'd be surprised how accurate it can get.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

Quote from: "Mr.B"I go oldschool and use something called memory. You'd be surprised how accurate it can get.

I agree, and its often quite fun when you have one of those, "I thought it was -right here-!" moments

Same reason I dont keep notes on other PCs I meet. Not saying that it's bad to do that. I just dont.
Someone says, out of character:
     "no, the mace did not explode, that was his testicle"

I've mapped out allanak before, since it really helped me conceptualize it in my head. Some people can put that kinda thing together as they play, other people need to see a picture to go, oooH! That's how it is!

After that, I've always got this little mental idea in my head, so I don't even look at the map anymore.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I've never used maps.  I've always wanted to make one because I'm a visual person but I've never had the patience to do so.

Quote from: "Flying Erdlu"

I agree, and its often quite fun when you have one of those, "I thought it was -right here-!" moments.

You can still get those with a map.  The secret is to not see the "grid" when you look at a map, just see it as a whole map.  No counting "13 N, 6 E" because that is silly.  Use the map the way you would really use a map, to identify landmarks, "Ok, go north until you get to the big rock that looks like a raptor, then head east for a while.  Before too long you should see the gates a little ways off to the north, just head towards it."
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

All your maps are belong to me, please.

But in all seriousness, I like having maps, but not making them. I refuse to make them on paper because I'm lame like that, so I use a mapping program to do it. It isn't manual, so I have to advance it room by room by hand, but it's pretty convenient. The trick with using maps is to not follow it grid point by grid point, but instead mark rooms that are unique, like ones with statues for example, and use them as a landmark to base your navigating on.
Dynnage
Shh! The cow is sleeping!

I map out areas that are new to me just for sake of drilling it into my memory as early as possible. After a few days of playing in that area I usually never have to look back at the map again.

A sheet of graph paper and a pen interact well with any mud client.

Then again, I'm biased.  I loooooove cartography.  I'll often remake the same map over and over again in differently colored inks.  It doesn't matter that I don't actually need ten maps of Nak and can navigate the city blind in the middle of the night in a sandstorm while OOCly wasted.  I just enjoy making them.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Just think, once A2 obliterates A1, we may be able to share our maps of obsolete A1 areas.  Squeeee!   :D

My GF has a quite large map of Zalanthas printed out, reassembled, and tacked to the wall in front of her computer desk.  People ask questions.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

OP,

zMUD includes an Automapper that, when properly configured and combined with triggers using the #OK, #NOMAP and #NODIR commands, can fully automate the process.  I separate cities from my world map with zones, and I color the squares based on the rooms' descriptions (i.e. white=North Road, purple=baobab groves, etc.).  In the mapper's options you can specify the text for the #LOOK command; I prefer changing the default "look" to "look room" so the mapper doesn't capture characters when it parses for room descriptions.

Quote from: "Zalanthan"OP,

zMUD includes an Automapper that, when properly configured and combined with triggers using the #OK, #NOMAP and #NODIR commands, can fully automate the process.  I separate cities from my world map with zones, and I color the squares based on the rooms' descriptions (i.e. white=North Road, purple=baobab groves, etc.).  In the mapper's options you can specify the text for the #LOOK command; I prefer changing the default "look" to "look room" so the mapper doesn't capture characters when it parses for room descriptions.
But then you get in a sandstorm and navigate in a direction opposite of what you type, and screw the map up :P
Dynnage

Quote from: "Dynnage"But then you get in a sandstorm and navigate in a direction opposite of what you type, and screw the map up :P

I suggest using the type of character who doesn't navigate in wrong directions when first building the map, but any character can use the automapper.  The #MOVE, #NODIR, #NOMAP, and #OK commands are amazingly powerful when combined with triggers, but I still recommend the first approach  :wink:

cMUD / zMUD Examples:

Pattern:^You flee, heading ($direction:%w)$
#MOVE $direction

Pattern:^You can't take a mount there.$
#NODIR

Pattern:^Sparse sands blow across your path.$
#NOMAP

Pattern:^You can't see a thing;sand swirls about you!$
#OK

Quote from: "Dynnage"
Quote from: "Zalanthan"OP,

But then you get in a sandstorm and navigate in a direction opposite of what you type, and screw the map up :P

I simply turned the automapper off during bad weather and at night, to avoid misdirection and other oddness.  It would still keep track of where it thought I was, but it didn't matter if it was a little bit wrong about that.  It only needs to be recording when I am visiting new locations for the first time, and it is best to visit new locations during the day time in clear weather anyway.

It worked ok, but when my trial period ended I decided not to buy it.  I'm a rank coward, so I spend a lot of time running away from gith, scrabs, mekillots and tregils.  Having the automap pinpoint my location as I was running wildly in any direction trying to ditch the every increasing train of creatures that were pissed off at me seemed cheesy.  After running in random directions for miles and miles, I ought to be lost and casting around for a familiar landmark, not just knowing exactly where I am because my magick map tells me so.  Sure, I could RP being hopelessly lost, but when the adrenaline gets pumping it can be hard remember to be a good little roleplayer.

Besides, the automaps were . . . lacking.  They were so mechanical and impersonal, and they failed to convey the atmosphere.  I think getting theZmapper add on could help quite a bit with that, but I've never tried it.  At some point fiddling with automappers to make the resulting maps pretty is going to take longer than just writing the damn thing out by hand.

Zmud's ugly map . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Zmapper's slightly less ugly map of the same place

Well, I'm one of those spartan souls who actually finds a strange charm in that kind of map. Thanks, Zalanthan!
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

I use crayons and papyrus.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: "Malken"I use crayons and papyrus.
Way to mock the Egyptians :P
Dynnage

I just use my brain. Not hard to remember stuff.
Free your hate.

Sometimes I actually draw them out... I usually have good enough memory to know where I am and I get it down without having to map anything but at times I just like seeing a visual representation of what the entire landscape looks like.  I think it helps more on the immersion than anything else.

Here's an example of a map I did for Lusternia sometime back.  You'll need to full view to really see it.

I've found Lulu's mud cartographer, very simple, reminiscent of Norton commander  :D And also the Argon online mud mapper. Both fall short of something, though. I'm considering buying Portal just for its mapper :(