Mapping

Started by Ocotillo, September 15, 2007, 01:55:15 PM

I tried making maps for a while... kept dying... gave up... tried again... finished one direction from a city... died again...

...it's really important to keep a live character in the zone you're mapping, or else they're pretty pointless.

I "found" a map after I had been playing for about six months. All it did was help me to realize what the bazaar in 'nak actually looked like. Other than that I still use my head for everything. Haven't even opened it again.

When I first started playing, I used to make square-connections (squares for the room and connections for which direction I could go in) for almost every room - Centering around the Gaj. Lol.

Now, everything is by memory. If I forget - Then it means my character forgets.

No one's perfect.

Even a ranger who's lived somewhere all his life is apt to forget something.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I use Microsoft Excel, personally. I made a very extensive map including everything from the silt sea to the salt sea, to the gates of drove, and the hellpits of Suk-krath. However, I lost it when my computer crashed a few years ago and just havn't wanted to do another one. It was pretty big, it had 8 tabs of greatness.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

QuoteI go oldschool and use something called memory. You'd be surprised how accurate it can get.

I've never mapped any mud ever.

Only problem I have is that I have to keep making my PCs older so that I can realisticly have them know the things I do.

I tried having one who was younger and did not know zalanthus within the last three years and failed horribly.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I've made a few wimpy maps in MS paint (horrible idea) and excel (better idea) but they're all a pain, I think I might have to go old school graph paper next.

how the fuck does this lulu shit work? yea, definitely going to graph paper.

Did I forget to mention that all my beginning maps were on Post-its? Since their so small, I could only fit so few on one paper at a time. By the end of my mapping frenzy, my computer and the surrounding area was literally littered with post-its, either on the ground, on a nearby post board or surrounding the monitor of my computer.

I was a noob in every sense of the word.

:(
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on October 19, 2008, 02:03:59 PM
Did I forget to mention that all my beginning maps were on Post-its? Since their so small, I could only fit so few on one paper at a time. By the end of my mapping frenzy, my computer and the surrounding area was literally littered with post-its, either on the ground, on a nearby post board or surrounding the monitor of my computer.

I was a noob in every sense of the word.

:(

That is AMAZING!!!!!
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

The only map I've ever had or used has been in my head.

Ha, map users are l00zer$! ;D
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

I use the portal client's built in mapper. It rocks. Sure I could jump on the "if I can't remember then my character can't remember because that's hardcore" bandwagon, but eh ... my character spent their entire life in Zalanthas, I spend a few hours a day at most. And my character doesn't have the excess trouble of having to remember things like ... my social security number, my college class material, a few extra languages, guitar theory, what's going on with real life friends next weekend, ect ect.

Anyway, yeah, portal client's mapper is both easy to understand and very effective when it comes to mapping. Just watch out once you start mapping though, because things like elevation and Luir's ability to defy the laws of physics in terms of spacing will throw you for a small loop  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I usually map when I'm building. Graph paper is awesome.

I have on occasion made maps of small areas, but mostly i don't map because I'm lazy. I mapped out 'Nak's bazaar and marked each vendor and tent because I was often sent to find things and I could never remember where stuff was!

Quote from: Kiri on October 20, 2008, 10:48:49 AM
I have on occasion made maps of small areas, but mostly i don't map because I'm lazy. I mapped out 'Nak's bazaar and marked each vendor and tent because I was often sent to find things and I could never remember where stuff was!
Ironic you should mention this. Last night, a friend of mine new to Arm spent about 15 mapping out the Bazaar on graph paper.

:P

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I agree.  Sometimes drawing a map really does help me realize the certain overall trends of an area better than trying to picture it in my head.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

I've made maps in excel and drawn maps in game with a literate character.

Maps are awesome.

maps ftw. Like any other information you gain it has to be you have to keep IC if you have mapped the path to the fountain of youth, your new 'smart like stick' giant is not going to know how to get there. Plus it is a great way to prove how outrageously nerdy you really are.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.