Junking Coins, hrmph!

Started by Folker, May 11, 2007, 04:13:44 AM

All this talk of people who junked all their starting coins and went from there and all that. Well ... I tried it, and you know what ... you cant junk coins. Atleast I couldnt figure out the syntax for it.

Nope, what you do is you buy something but instead of offering a lower price, you offer a much higher price, and the merchant accepts it. Then you junk what you just bought.

Its a bad work-around, but it works.

Well, by junking coins I just meant hand them off to the nearest NPC.

coins really should be changed to regular objects in 2.arm, as well as making a system for handling a bunch of items at once.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Moe, that solution leaves an NPC with an unrealistic amount of coins.  I prefer John's solution.

> i
1013 obsidian coins

> offer 1013 #1
> barter
> junk waterskin

> i
Nothing
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

And if you do it with a shopkeeper that you know often runs out of coins, then you're doing your fellow players a favor!   :D
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I'd say giving an NPC an unrealistic amount of coins is better than just dropping them and giving a PC an unrealistic amount of coins.   :wink:

Bribe a templar, then use that several hundred coins' worth of grace time to do something really stupid in front of them.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Buy spice and play a broke spice addict.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "Agent_137"RP paying off a soldier.

Or a really fancy whore.

Or get serious drunk.

Or set five kanks free.

As a last resort, wish up.  :twisted:

Drink it all away as fast as possible.  Everyone loves the town drunk!

Quote from: "spawnloser"Moe, that solution leaves an NPC with an unrealistic amount of coins.  I prefer John's solution.

> i
1013 obsidian coins

> offer 1013 #1
> barter
> junk waterskin

> i
Nothing

Isn't that also giving an NPC an unrealistic amount of coins too?
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: "flurry"
Quote from: "spawnloser"Moe, that solution leaves an NPC with an unrealistic amount of coins.  I prefer John's solution.

> i
1013 obsidian coins

> offer 1013 #1
> barter
> junk waterskin

> i
Nothing

Isn't that also giving an NPC an unrealistic amount of coins too?

Not really.  The money doesn't become part of that person's personal possessions, it is part of the shop inventory.  Most shops do have thousands of coins of inventory, though not always in the form of cash on hand.  It probably won't affect other PCs.  If you do it with a shopkeeper that buys from PCs and that often runs out of money, then the money may make it into the hands of PCs, but it is more a matter of letting them trade in their goods a bit sooner than they would have otherwise.  They aren't really making extra cash from no where, as they could have simply waited for the reboot to sell, or tried traveling to another shop.  The disturbance of the PC economy will be tiny or non-existent, and story lines shouldn't be disturbed at all.  On the other hand if that money is just dropped on the ground (or handed off to an NPC who dies or get pick pocketed) it will disturb the storyline of the PC who finds it because ICly it is an amazing amount of money to find unguarded.

In the very strictest sense it could be considered an OOC enrichment of the shop and therefore some kind of pollution of the game world, but I think it is pretty minor.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "flurry"Isn't that also giving an NPC an unrealistic amount of coins too?
Well if you're worried about that you can give it to a shopkeeper next to no-one uses or simply give it to any old one and say its virtual commerce.

Get real drunk and go give it to one of the many NPC beggars.
Go to the bar the next day and bitch about what a stupid thing you did when you were drunk.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Just to clarify -- I'm not worried about it, and I think the effect would be almost certainly minor regardless of which grubby set of NPC hands the coins ended up in.  It just seemed like spawnloser was offering a solution with the same flaw as the one he'd just criticized.

Another suggestion I've seen is to just put it in the bank and pretend it's not there.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

How about buying a bucket, filling it with water, and watering things randomly until all said water is gone?

think -chipper Oh, lookie there! That corpse is looking oh-so-rather-wilted, don't you think? Tehehehehe! Splash splash, Mr. Corpse!
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I ment to create a character without coins. Not a rich, eccentric, idiotic, suicidal, extremely generous person =).

If you give the coins to a random NPC, there's the (small) risk that someone happens to kill said NPC and receives the coins when they shouldn't have.

If you buy something grossly overpriced from a regular shopkeeper then said shopkeeper will have a high amount of coins which allows someone else to sell a lot of things. Not necessarily terrible, but it does have an effect.

The best ways to start out poor without affecting the game world in any possible way:
:arrow: wish up and ask for the coins to be removed
:arrow: gamble the money away at any of the gamble script NPCs
:arrow: purchase (and dispose of) something overpriced from a shopkeeper who doesn't buy things, such as a barkeep

I always consider the first couple hours of my character to be 'setting up' my character, and not really what he's doing.

So, to say that again, I'm not actually roleplaying until I purchased my curved sword of bone and my waterskin is full.  Stop talking to me.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one