Magickers

Started by Xio, April 25, 2007, 09:02:21 PM

Not trying to gripe or anything but I'm just curious.
Is it just me and my characters bad luck, or are there magickers everywhere nowadays? I mean the last 3 (I think) mundane characters I had in the north kept running into magickers so I say to myself, go to allanak they're all gemmed there! So I go down south with my next character, what happens day two of playing? Kidnapped and maimed by a magicker. I like magickers,  magicker-interaction and all that, sparse and spread out. Could just be me though.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

It's not just you, no, but the majority of the players around here doesn't want to believe it, so, better not to worry too much about it :)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Alright, just wondering if I have horribly bad luck or its just an increase that I missed when I had to stop playing for awhile. I'll just have to make a city-bound merchant in Tuluk who almost never leaves his room, they'll never find me then *cackles manically*  :twisted:

As we get closer to the end of the game lots of people (myself included) are going to play character concepts that they've wanted to for ages. Most of these concepts are going to be high karma ones :)

Yea, found out today, like three seconds ago, its mainly character's bad luck. Nobody likes them, or just the guy with the level 99+ shortsword of Tektolnes doesn't like 'em and just has to kill 'em for me. I have to stick to them non-descript types, too outlandish all the time. Once you get used to it, dying is kinda fun ;)
Anyways hope everyone has fun as we get closer to Arm.2 think I might take another hiatus, I'm running out of character ideas.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention I didn't mean they hate my characters literally here. Around where I'm from hate tends to have a bit more of a less serious and more sarcastic, joking connotation. Kinda forgot that its not like that everywhere around the world.

I also have noticed a lot of high karma characters being played recently.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I've heard many gripes from people along these lines, and apparently some veteran players have left because they've found themselves staring at a mantis head one too many times after run ins with magickers and a lack of any RP.

I guess I'm one of the few people here who have never had the desire to play a magicker despite having the option.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Been playing the same outdoors character for two months now without having encountered a single drop of magick.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Fedaykin"they've found themselves staring at a mantis head one too many times after run ins with magickers and a lack of any RP.

You know i didn't want to say anything because i wanted to give the karma based players the benifit of the doubt but umm...yeah. :evil:

That said i can't blame people for wanting to play those karma roles but it would be a flat out lie to say there weren't alot of them. Curiousity got me and i'm currently part of the problem but don't think i'll be making another one if this one dies, training is boring and very lonely.

Just because they're in a karma role doesn't mean they have the karma for it, could be special app.

That said, I liked what someone said in another similar thread:

Deal with it ICly. It's obvious there are more around than ever before, let your character notice this. Let it worry him. Let it affect your RP, and, thus, it'll all be in good fun.

When you worry about something OOCly is when you're focus on the game itself and not the fantasy world, and not on the enjoyment of playing your character.

Some who voiced their opinions in the late magicker thread were more concerned about the unwanted effects of high numbers of magickers, not simply the fact that they're there. Their points were backed up by Halaster's statement that the magicker guilds are designed around the idea that they're rare and reclusive, and that the game may suffer when these magickers end up representing a fifth of the playerbase or whatever amount it is these days. The fact that cannot be denied is that there's an immense number of magicker PCs lately, so many that a lot of our players feel the negative impact, and that can't just be dismissed with a "deal with it IC".

I don't mean to restart the discussion that was locked, but since most of the staff doesn't seem willing to do anything about, or even aknowledge, the perceived problem that the rise of magickers is becoming an OOC negative, maybe some of the players need to moderate themselves a little. Do you have to make that magicker "just because you're curious"? Are all of your dream concepts magickers or could you choose one of the mundane ones that the game is evidently lacking lately? Many of the game-defining clans that the world is practically based around haven't seen any progress or new, refreshing ideas for a long time. Maybe it would be just as interesting to try that instead of making yet another interaction-restricted, documentation-defying, playerbase-agitating magicker.

Quote from: "jhunter"Been playing the same outdoors character for two months now without having encountered a single drop of magick.
It's a conspiracy, jhunter. See, all the mages have been avoiding your PCs just so you can post this same comment every time the debate comes up. :P
subdue thread
release thread pit

No, it isn't just you.  I was very active a little while ago with an outdoorsy character.  I saw far more obvious magikers in the wastes then mundane (or at least they were subtle magikers) in the wastes.  Hell, at one point I bolted after running into one near the road... only to run into another magiker walking along down the middle of the road with obvious magikal spells on a few minutes later.

So, no you are not crazy.  There are indeed ass-loads of magikers running around, especially in the North.

I can confirm this, at least in certain places.

I think one of the reasons is also that many of the 'pro magicker' IC clans are kicking up towards the end of the game (not just in player membership, but also in plotline importance), and that some pro magicker iso clans are getting some recent heavy interaction.

Don't look to that as a statement forgiving the mass of magick, or a statement damning it. Just saying.

Also just saying, I really, really think we should deal with it IC. 'twould be completely awesome if House Tor, Borsail, Lyksae, and Winrothol (just examples, people) had the same worries as people on this board, and decided to send out massive parties purely for the purpose of culling the magick. Hell, independent PCs can try to organize these things, or the Byn might even decide to do so without a contract - after all, their Sergeants may come to the conclusion that 'tis worthwhile, since random magick encounters are making trips into the waste entirely too dangerous.

In fact, that has a very strong chance of being my next PC, now that I think about it...
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Make a group specifically for hunting down magickers. I think Arm has been lacking that aspect...  :twisted:
Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings."
Ed Gardner

Quote from: "X_Scars"Make a group specifically for hunting down magickers. I think Arm has been lacking that aspect...  :twisted:

I was just gonna say the same thing.  We need a Van Helsing/Blade-type character which would be pretty appropriate in the North I think, heh.
iva La Resistance!

I actually had a character who did this for about a year and a half. The only problem being that he himself was a magcker. It ended up being pretty eventful, taking down defilers and nilazi with my regular old elementalist. The guy had recruited several contacts in all the towns and outposts, along with a few helpful tribals. He was able to hear about events and "strange sightings" all over the known world and many places beyond. With the help of a couple friends he managed to eliminate quite a few bandit-types. That is until he died for killing a "mundane" and the game crashed, at which time he was respawned with no magickal protection in a very, very unfriendly place. Played that one for about two and a half years total, verging on three with six months in there being sporatic playtimes at best.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

You can't really do much about it ICly, because if they have the karma, chances are that they'll just re-create another magicker, know what spells to aim for, which to avoid, branch them faster, then they'll avoid you until they are strong enough and take you down because this time someone or many will know that you hunt down magickers.

And if a strong enough magicker wants to take you down while you're sitting in a crowded tavern surrounded by others or guards, that's cake for them, 30+ days warrior or not.

Once you've tasted magick and how powerful it is, it's always hard to go back to your pickpocket. Well, for some at least.

Quote from: "Malken"Once you've tasted magick and how powerful it is, it's always hard to go back to your pickpocket. Well, for some at least.

Cause deep down the repeat magickers are all just twink power gamers at heart.  :D
iva La Resistance!

Quote from: "Malken"You can't really do much about it ICly, because if they have the karma, chances are that they'll just re-create another magicker, know what spells to aim for, which to avoid, branch them faster, then they'll avoid you until they are strong enough and take you down because this time someone or many will know that you hunt down magickers.

Certainly. But I learn tricks too. If I shoot you full of peraine before you get a spell off, you're my plaything. The secret to magicker killing is preparation - same as with anyone else, but even more so. Certainly, if you toy around in the magicker's playground, you'll get burned, but that's just why you don't do that.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: "Tisiphone"
Certainly. But I learn tricks too. If I shoot you full of peraine before you get a spell off, you're my plaything.

Which you can buy from the grocery shop.

Quote from: "Tisiphone"
Certainly, if you toy around in the magicker's playground, you'll get burned, but that's just why you don't do that.

Meaning, if you are anywhere within the known world, you are as good as dead.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Can we all stop with the "Toying around the magicker's playground thing" again? I think we've established that magickers are currently being seen all over the place, not just by the mundanes 'stumbling' into ruins.. If you say that the grasslands, or the tablelands, or that the grey forest is the 'magicker's playground', then I'll agree with you.

With one of my last character, up in Tuluk, I think that more than half of my conversations were about mindbenders and magickers and nothing else. That was getting quite tiredsome. There wasn't a day going by without someone encountering one or the other. It went on like this for as long as I can remember, until I stopped playing because I thought things were getting just too ridiculous. (That and the lack of players up there probably didn't helped in the fact that nobodies like my character were targetted constantly for no reasons.)

Now I can understand that everyone wants to play something 'special' and that playing an elf burglar who's just trying to survive by when there's only a few months left before the end might not sound too appealing, but for me, I'll just wait until the new game before playing again and hope that it won't be like this for at least a few months after.

I don't know if its because the admins lost sight of the 'big picture' because they are too busy building and coding on the new game and keeping an eye on their own clans when they have the time left for it, but if things are the way they should be, I wish they'd just come and end this "There's too many non-mundanes roles around." constant discussions by just telling us that things are working as they should be.

That would at least shut me up and not make me feel like I'm crazy because I'm thinking there's way too many of them lately.

Quote from: "Jherlen"
Quote from: "jhunter"Been playing the same outdoors character for two months now without having encountered a single drop of magick.
It's a conspiracy, jhunter. See, all the mages have been avoiding your PCs just so you can post this same comment every time the debate comes up. :P

All I'm saying is that if it's really that bad, how come I'm not seeing it? One would think if it really was as bad as some are saying that it would be nearly impossible to play a pc that mainly lives in the wilds and -not- run into magickers all the time.
Yes, so long as people continue claiming there's a problem that I'm not experiencing in the slightest, I'm going to speak up about it.
Someone also claimed that they're everywhere up north. Hrrmmm...my pc is up north and I've yet to run into even one magicker.
*shrug*
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Deja vu?

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25179&start=345

I think this discussion's already happened.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

I think if the mundane clans had something going for them that was more interesting than being a magicker is, it would solve this problem.

As it stands now, all this End of the World stuff is catering a whole lot to magickers and not so much the mundane. Don't know if that was how it was planned to be, but I'd like to see the mundane aspect of the final few months in Arm 1 be more prominent than all this magick and otherwordly 'stuff'. I mean, what's the point of having a low magick setting if the majority of the interesting and important plots are magick related? That just doesn't tickle my fancy.  :roll:

Now, I'm not saying we don't have -any- good mundane plots, but from my experience so far, all the more prominent plots have a magicker lurking in the background pulling strings and whatnot. Why!?
Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings."
Ed Gardner