Recognize command

Started by Nightstring, November 17, 2006, 08:04:11 PM

Hi, in another MUD I've been playing, I saw this command. I think it's really neat. Their helpfile on the command:

RECOG Syntax:           recog <keyword> <name/nickname>

For example:  recog tir Jack
or:           recog tir TheRat

The recog command allows a person to recognise someone by either their
name or a nickname. Once recognised, rather than selecting the player
in an emote by #keyword, you will instead be able to use #name/nickname.
Another advantage to having someone recognised is that you see their
name rather than their short descriptions when they emote.

Maybe it might be used instead of addkeyword in the new version of Arm?
That way people couldn't check you for names by using OOC mechanisms such as 'count' or 'keyword' or 'look' and stuff. You could just give someone a name, and it would be his or her responsibility to tag it to you (not even your real name works in reference for the player until he tags it to you). It does kind of sound like -a lot- of overhead, though, having to store/access a list of every PC's nametags for other PCs.

Anyways, just food for thought.

I'd say sure for the ability to use it as a keyword, hell no for replacing the description.

Edit to add:

Sorry, haven't answered any of your posts before that I recall so I'm going to elaborate (I can be a dick in posts, just so you know.  That's why I had to edit to add :P)

I say no for the description replacement because it's actually a fairly nice thing about the game.  People who aren't memorable...you don't remember.  People who you -know-, you remember, and can recognize even without their sdesc.  It ends up giving the game a nice feel, rather than everyone remembering everyone they meet.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Yeah, that part I could do without as well.

I think a command like this has merit.

Perhaps one that eventually 'forgets' people after time.

More discussion around this idea needs to take place, but I think it's a good idea.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

You can use your mud client to do this.  I don't see why time should be wasted putting this into the game.

Quote from: "leaf"You can use your mud client to do this.  I don't see why time should be wasted putting this into the game.

Because it'd force people to use it instead of the keyword system we have now. If you just use your mud-client to do it, you could still 'ping' someone's keywords by using look or other commands.

Say you're out for the bounty on someone's head. You know his name, and that he's really tall (not a lot, and it shouldn't be enough to go on). One day, you see a suspicious hooded tall figure. You test "look <name you were given>", and you look at the figure. You now -know- it's the guy you're after because of this OOC mechanism.

Under such a system, this would not be possible.

That's bordering on twinkery, Nightstring...using code to gain an advantage or information that you should not know.

Editted to add: I will admit to having done it, but only with people my character actually knew...not people that were simply named and described by another.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"That's bordering on twinkery, Nightstring...using code to gain an advantage or information that you should not know.

Editted to add: I will admit to having done it, but only with people my character actually knew...not people that were simply named and described by another.

Precisely. And if the only keywords that worked were the keywords you manually gave someone using such a command, this sort of twinkery would not be possible.

Editted to add:

Let me elucidate the functionality of this system with an example situation:
1. You ----see-----> Person.
2. Person tells you that his name is "Joe".
3. You type "recog person Joe".
4. Now you can use "Joe" to refer to the person. Prior to this, the only words you could refer to him by were words you could see in his sdesc.

Everyone has keywords, Nightstring.  This wouldn't eliminate people using individual keywords to spot people.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Everyone has keywords, Nightstring.  This wouldn't eliminate people using individual keywords to spot people.

I'm not sure if I was clear.

Basically what the recognize system is, is a system in which no one has any keywords but the ones in their sdesc.

The 'recognize' command acts as an alias to that person, but only for whoever uses the command.

Someone may know a person, whose real name is Joe, as "Bob".  He could refer to him in commands using "Bob", but not Joe. And if he doesn't have anything to call him by, the only keywords that will work on Joe are his sdesc keywords. Not even his real name would work. His alias "Bob" for Joe would not work for anyone else that did not manually use the command to alias the name "Bob" to Joe, nor would his actual name of "Joe".

I understand how it works.  I've played muds that used nearly exactly that system or one very similar to it before.

People still have keywords in their sdescs, though.  If we moved to a system where people had to 'recognize' or 'remember' (or whatever the command is), I have a feeling that more emphasis will be placed on people's sdesc keywords when describing people to others...or those others will pay attention more to those things described to them, looking for those sdesc keywords.

Either way, the people seeking the coded solution to their problem will still seek that coded solution.

What about

>raise hood
>wear mask

??
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

I have always been against this idea for armageddon.  I don't like the code dictating for me certain things, like memory.  If you wanna memorize things, write it down.

I say nay.
I vote no.
I ... win?

In any case, I'm with the poster above.
For FantasyWriter:

Quote from: "UnderSeven"I have always been against this idea for armageddon.  I don't like the code dictating for me certain things, like memory.  If you wanna memorize things, write it down.

/agree
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "Bogre"
Quote from: "UnderSeven"I have always been against this idea for armageddon.  I don't like the code dictating for me certain things, like memory.  If you wanna memorize things, write it down.

/agree

Seconded.

Personally I like the idea. But it shouldnt replace the description, perhaps adding a keyword in the assess -v ? So you remember templar Joe, and then if you assess -v templar, you get something like "you think his name is Templar". This works only if he is undisguised in any way and dissapears once your character dies. If that all worked, that'd be splendid.

Quote from: "Bebop"

/agree

Seconded.

Twelvededth.

Edited to add: I want Armageddon to remain Roleplay-Enforced, not Code-Enforced Roleplay-Enforced, or Codeplay-Enforced.
your mother is an elf.

I like the idea but I'm not dead set on having it. I just know that somthing needs to be done to fix the fact that disquises are completely useless and that names are no object when you can just assess <name> whenever some one walks in to find out if they are the person their looking for. If somthing like this was put into place and people were forced to rely on actual keywords in peoples sdesc and actually describing them rather then just handing out a name, then i would consider that a good reason to put it into place.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: "Moofassa"

/agree

Seconded.

Twelvededth.

Edited to add: I want Armageddon to remain Roleplay-Enforced, not Code-Enforced Roleplay-Enforced, or Codeplay-Enforced.

QFT
For FantasyWriter:

/agree

:wink:

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Basicly what this would do if you took out the replacing the sdesc with the name is give you the ability to give people your own personal keywords (though taking names out of usable keywords would be another way to use it to get rid of name trolling). I know there have always been people with crazy names that I would have liked to give them my own little nickname for them. It wouldn't be doing any remembering for you you'd still have to remember the name you gave them.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

The problem arises when you are playing with another character, and there's no way to 'target' them using keywords.

People always want a way to "target" others.  If you think about it, there are certain situations in Real Life where you can -always- target a mysterious person, and then there are other situations in life where the mysterious person -cannot- be targetted.

It's an observation problem.  And it's a problem that totally depends on the situation at hand.

Right now, if you wear a 'hood' or a 'veil', you disappear into the mysterious.  If nobody knows you, you can enter a room, and leave, and nobody will know it was you.

Right now, if you wear a 'hood' or a 'veil', you are an obvious target because of your 'keyword'.  It's a supernatural ability that people have, whereas if they can guess your 'keyword', then you can be followed and watched no matter what disguise you have.

I'm content with the situation we have right now.  We have the 'keyword <word>' command that allows you to better target the 4.figure characters in a room.  We also have the 'keyword' that overrides any disguise.  

Here's an idea:
A) If you as a player interacts with another character frequently,
B) of whom you cannot target by a keyword,
C) and the 'nickname' that you've been using for them for more than a real life month doesn't work,
D) then I would suggest to go OOC and ask them for a keyword for the sake of playability, or ask them to add the 'nickname' as a keyword.

Players now have the ability to add keywords to themselves on the fly.  Players cannot remove these keywords, either.

How's that sound?  Do y'all understand the problem?  Do y'all understand the optional solutions?

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"The problem arises when you are playing with another character, and there's no way to 'target' them using keywords.

People always want a way to "target" others.  If you think about it, there are certain situations in Real Life where you can -always- target a mysterious person, and then there are other situations in life where the mysterious person -cannot- be targetted.

It's an observation problem.  And it's a problem that totally depends on the situation at hand.

Right now, if you wear a 'hood' or a 'veil', you disappear into the mysterious.  If nobody knows you, you can enter a room, and leave, and nobody will know it was you.

Right now, if you wear a 'hood' or a 'veil', you are an obvious target because of your 'keyword'.  It's a supernatural ability that people have, whereas if they can guess your 'keyword', then you can be followed and watched no matter what disguise you have.

I'm content with the situation we have right now.  We have the 'keyword <word>' command that allows you to better target the 4.figure characters in a room.  We also have the 'keyword' that overrides any disguise.  

Here's an idea:
C) and the 'nickname' that you've been using for them for more than a real life month doesn't work,
D) then I would suggest to go OOC and ask them for a keyword for the sake of playability, or ask them to add the 'nickname' as a keyword.

Players now have the ability to add keywords to themselves on the fly.  Players cannot remove these keywords, either.

How's that sound?  Do y'all understand the problem?  Do y'all understand the optional solutions?
You still have plenty of keywords you have the keywords in their sdesc and if they have a veil on you have the keywords for the veil, this wouldn't change any of that it would only make it so that instead of the player being responsible for the nicknames and names being in their keywords it's the person that's using the name and nicknames that is responsible for it
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

Quote from: "daedroug"
Quote from: "mansa"The problem arises when you are playing with another character, and there's no way to 'target' them using keywords.

Here's an idea:

You still have plenty of keywords you have the keywords in their sdesc and if they have a veil on you have the keywords for the veil, this wouldn't change any of that it would only make it so that instead of the player being responsible for the nicknames and names being in their keywords it's the person that's using the name and nicknames that is responsible for it

You have never been in a room that looks like this:

A Stupid Alleyway [NW]
This is the description of the alleyway.  There's dead bodies and starving babies and a lot of debris and garbage.  Yup.
The tall figure in a dark, hooded cloak is here.
The figure in a dark, hooded cloak is here.

90(90)hp 100(100)mv 90(90)st>
The figure in a dark, hooded cloak says to you, in sirihish:
   "Hey, how's it going?  It's shadow, long time no see"

90(90)hp 100(100)mv 90(90)st>look shadow
You do not see that here.

IMO that shouldn't work anyways. if you have a problem with it then do what you should do IRL tell them you can't tell who said that and ask that they lower their hoods
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

That's not really realistic. Because even if their faced are covered, in most cases, you 'do' know who says what.

Currently, it came to a point where two gangs meat, all hooded, and instead of fighting each other, everyone begin kicking the shit out of some specific hood, the enemies AND allies alike. That's especially common in the rinth, since they got those identical cloaks.

I'd like to see somthing like
Name man amos and get...

(amos) The over-used toy-man

Why not? Its a game, everyone tends to use odd names, and i dont remember PC names, nor care too, while in RL, once given a name, we tend to remember them, unless we meet them once and then never again, or whatever.

Quote from: "cyberpatrol_735"
Quote from: "Moofassa"

/agree

Seconded.

Twelvededth.

QFT

*highfive*

Quote from: "HoD"I'd like to see somthing like
Name man amos and get...

(amos) The over-used toy-man

Why not? Its a game, everyone tends to use odd names, and i dont remember PC names, nor care too, while in RL, once given a name, we tend to remember them, unless we meet them once and then never again, or whatever.

use a client that does that.

mushclient has a free trial, can be programmed to do this, and costs 20 bucks for the full version.

I use the alias command for that.  And when I forget who it was, I just type, "alias" and it pulls up:

Jonny the man with eyes on fire
Max the dessert-flavoured man