New clan!

Started by Hymwen, October 03, 2006, 06:25:00 PM

http://www.armageddon.org/ic/#Council%20of%20Allanaki%20Mages

Pretty neat! I hope that'll bring more purpose to mages (and bring them back to the city) and I think it can turn out to be great for the playing environment in general if done right.
b]YB <3[/b]

It looks awesome...but I'm wondering if it is a clan that will have special apps or if it is all an in game sort of thing.  This comes from not knowing the setup for the clan, of course.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

**Drool**

This looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

Way to go Imms!!!!!! You rock my world yet again!!

Guess what I'm trying for with my next char?  :wink:
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

Yeah, I was thinknig about trying something like this IC someday. It just makes good sense, really.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

hot
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Heh, sounds like someone beat you to it.

Does sound pretty interesting, though.

Nice, now the dirty finger-wigglers have a legit clan all to themselves.  :lol:
LL ZALANTHANS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ZALANTHANS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

I'm very, very happy to see this clan form up, and I wish it the best of luck.

Nice.  Now, bets on the first goal of the clan to be "Build a damn magicker tavern"?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Definitely a cool idea.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Does one still have to get pre-approval in order to make a character that has a focus or goal of fighting a certain clan/house?  ;)  

Just an honest question, but I do like the new clan... and may be on either side of the strife.   :x

Quote from: "Twilight"Nice.  Now, bets on the first goal of the clan to be "Build a damn magicker tavern"?
Only if they name it "The Angry Krathi".
LL ZALANTHANS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ZALANTHANS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

How Final Fantasy I & II

Slime wrote:
QuoteTwilight wrote:
QuoteNice. Now, bets on the first goal of the clan to be "Build a damn magicker tavern"?
Only if they name it "The Angry Krathi".
Absolutely not.
It shall be called "The Witch's Tits"
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

It does give mages more options then Oash, so I guess its cool in that way. Not sure how I feel about a mage council in nak.

Isn;t this giving mages too much power? they are supposed to be the bane of society. Second only to elves and rinthis.

+ wouldn't they just all start plotting to remove their gems?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

A tavern is so cliche... how about an opium den?

Or a whorehouse. Call it The Dripping Cauldron or The Throbbing Wand.
*snicker*
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Yang"A tavern is so cliche... how about an opium den?

I, like many others, started trying to plan such a thing with a long lived gemmer.  And like many others I died before it could ever see the light of day  :(

As for the Council I think it's a rad idea.  What I'm hoping is that it brings more mages from the wilds into the city rather than just slurping up all the available mages in the city.  How the Council, Oash and the Templarate all interact when dealing with magicker stuff is going to be really interesting.

Quote from: "jmordetsky"Isn;t this giving mages too much power? they are supposed to be the bane of society. Second only to elves and rinthis.
That isn't really how the society of Allanak works.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "jmordetsky"It does give mages more options then Oash, so I guess its cool in that way. Not sure how I feel about a mage council in nak.

Isn;t this giving mages too much power? they are supposed to be the bane of society. Second only to elves and rinthis.

Why remove their gems when they have all the potential for power with one on? And that's for those who have decided to wear the gem. For those born with the gem, it's just natural to be wearing one.

If someone didn't like wearing a gem, they would never have chosen to approach a templar in the first place (except if they were forced, which is a different situation altogether).

Quote from: "jmordetsky"It does give mages more options then Oash, so I guess its cool in that way. Not sure how I feel about a mage council in nak.

Perhaps the Templarate don't know about this mage clan? From what I've read that Onimatu has provided, there isn't much detail describing what the Mage Order is. Maybe it's a secret underground organization plotting to break their gems off and bethrone Tek? Then again, maybe it's a group devoted to making the gemmed mages' lives a little bit better.

Quote from: "Clan Help Files"Council of Allanaki Mages
Organization for Gemmed Elementalists within the city of Allanak. Serves the Templarate, offers contract work to nobility, merchant houses and independent citizens. On the surface the Council also serves the mage community of Allanak and seeks to better the city.

Woops, don't listen to me.  :wink:

Quote from: "Rhyden"[Perhaps the Templarate don't know about this mage clan?

From the link in the very first post:

Organization for Gemmed Elementalists within the city of Allanak. Serves the Templarate, offers contract work to nobility, merchant houses and independent citizens. On the surface the Council also serves the mage community of Allanak and seeks to better the city.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I said don't listen to me. Gosh. Heh, maybe Onimatu's description is just a cover-up for what the clan -really- is.  :twisted:

You got it in before me. Oh well. :)

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Quote from: "jmordetsky"Isn;t this giving mages too much power? they are supposed to be the bane of society. Second only to elves and rinthis.

Actually in the Allanak magickers are treated very poorly, they are considered socially to be below even slaves. Allanak may support them by offering the gemmed a faction of the city to exist in but the hate is still there, the bitterness, the fear, all of that.

I am going to agree with jmordetsky.

I dunno, Gypsy.  Even magickers are people, whereas slaves are basically considered objects.  Objects have no social standing of their own.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

A gemmer in Allanak has, officially the same legal standing as a regular commoner.

This is the trade-off; a magicker that comes to the Allanaki Templarate and requests a gem is granted the few basic rights of an ordinary citizen, most notably the right to live and the right to work.

I think this clan is an absolutely excellent idea.  Woo!
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I just have a problem in that it is a Council of Mages. Sounds too organized and advanced. Anyone else share my feeling?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "jmordetsky"+ wouldn't they just all start plotting to remove their gems?

I don't know anything about the clan but what is in docs... but I don't see any reason why would they. There is written they serve the Templarate and so on, no? I would think that they wear their gems with pride.

Oh, and I love the idea. I am looking forward to learn more about it IG. :)

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I just have a problem in that it is a Council of Mages. Sounds too organized and advanced. Anyone else share my feeling?

I just think the name is corny.  No offense to the staff.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

It's a corny name, almost as bad as The Thief's Union.  NOW that's a horrible name.

And, I'm glad this is actually going on.  Magickers in Allanak always had some sort of hierchary in the Temples.  I'm glad that this actually became coded, as it is now something that can be reached and grasped for the everyday player, rather than just the players 'in the know'.

Because Armageddon is full of things that can make or break your influence, as long as you are 'in the know'.  I'm glad this is now reachable for the players.  Yay.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yeah, I don't think this is something new, just something new to PCs.  I, for one, think this is going to be awesome.

This is, in my opinion, the best thing to happen to the mud in quite some time.

If you've ever played a gemmed, you probably know it can be one of the most painfully boring roles ever. Few opportunities for employment, rarely anything popping within the Temples themselves. I believe it was stated that something like 9/10 gemmed suicide or retire. That sucks and this little council can only help us.

OOC speculation about the powers and motives of the Council means little to nothing, especially since no one except the Immortals involved know anything about it. Let it ride awhile before condemning it.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: "Gypsy"

Actually in the Allanak magickers are treated very poorly, they are considered socially to be below even slaves. Allanak may support them by offering the gemmed a faction of the city to exist in but the hate is still there, the bitterness, the fear, all of that.

If you take a look at this table here, you'll note that slaves of the templarate are actually more highly ranked socially than commoners are. So, while technically you're correct, they're no worse off than the other commoners.
http://www.armageddon.org/general/ranktable.html

Socially, mages are considered roughly equivalent to a trigger-happy gun nut packing an Uzi. People are very nice and very polite to their faces, but they don't get invited to many dinner parties.
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Quote from: "Quirk"

If you take a look at this table here, you'll note that slaves of the templarate are actually more highly ranked socially than commoners are. So, while technically you're correct, they're no worse off than the other commoners.
http://www.armageddon.org/general/ranktable.html

Socially, mages are considered roughly equivalent to a trigger-happy gun nut packing an Uzi. People are very nice and very polite to their faces, but they don't get invited to many dinner parties.

I agree with you here. I guess my comment at this point is that I don't like it. And by it I mean affording social status to mages. I never liked that mages in house oash enjoyed such high social status, seems wrong to me. I've always considered mages like x-men mutants, people just have a blind fearful hatred of them. Templarate and Nobility included, at least on the surface. I always felt that if templars and nobles were viewed has giving out mage hugs the populace would go beserk. I never like to see mages treated the way high ranked wyverns are. They should be persecuted at every turn.

I mean, most characters I play feel that mages are so cursed that to go near them would curse you, and somehow you would become afflicted by their witchery.

I've always viewed mages as untouchable.

THAT SAID - I've been thinking about this council and I don't think it's a bad idea. First off as I'm sure it's been stated, it gives gemmed pc's a clan option aside from oash, and the less gemmed in a noble house the better (gah, i hate gemmed noble servants).

However, I think it's the name that getting to me. It sounds regal and important, and rings of bearded white mages with pointed hats sitting around discussing the finer points of magic in their arcane university. (oh yes, I did just say that).

If this organization is gritty enough it could work. I mean, it's needs to avoid being what I described above. Even beggars and pickpockets can have a king who wields some hidden influence over politics, it just the style that concerns me.

Maybe if we called something like the Inner Sanctum of Temples or The Circle of Elements or something that rang more mysterious or scary.

The name just rings harry potter to me.

www.j03m.com

Mansa and WP sum it up for me.

But change the name to something more armish, scary, mysterious and cool.

I'll post back with some other suggestions.

www.j03m.com

Without anything to go on at all, I'd think it would be more like a mercenary organization for magickers than anything else.  But we'll all have to just wait and see!
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I just have a problem in that it is a Council of Mages. Sounds too organized and advanced. Anyone else share my feeling?

Agreed. I cannot imagine how the powers that be in Nak would possibly allow such a thing.

Quote from: "facehugger"

Agreed. I cannot imagine how the powers that be in Nak would possibly allow such a thing.
On the other hand, would they really care if the Council never really advertises themselves to the public?  Just because it's an official clan doesn't mean that suddenly every Grebber Amos has heard of them.  Hell, maybe not even every Gemmer Malik has heard of them either.

Quote from: "facehugger"

See, the thing is that something like this ALREADY EXISTED in game, but only the people in the know KNEW about it...

So now, it is offical and everyday joes can know about it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

One of these in Tuluk would be a perfect honey pot.

I don't think this gives mages too much "power" at all. Sure, the name sounds official, but the way it's described, it sounds like nothing more than a magickal version of the T'zai Byn.
Of course, I say "nothing more" from an IC perspective. From an OOC perspective, this is a breath of fresh air for those poor, neglected magickers.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

i'm with the monkeys.

I'm not seeing how this is any more than an attempt by the templarate to get the mages more organized for their own use.

It's not as if the meetings of this group will be secret.

And if they are, well, the mages could put together secret meetings anyway.

So this doesn't really give them all that much more power ICly, hell, it'll end up putting them in harms way far more often. Which is good from all perspectives.

I would not say they are treated less than slaves. I would say a unique position. Not slave nor commoner. They can be employed by two organizations in allanak, oash and the templarate(though technicall just getting the gem amkes "employed" by the templars) Remember screwing with a gemmed who has powerful friends, minus the fact they can suck out your soul and such themselves, can be a bad idea. So treating them like a slave might get bad things to happen. Treating them like your least favorite uncle and giving them dirtylooks is perfectly acceptable, assuming not frighten they will fly through your window to eat your life essence for doing so.

Amish Overlord   8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Gemmers are slaves, essentially. They're slaves of the templarate.

Now, being a slave doesn't automatically put you on the lowest rung of 'nakki society. The social chart is wonky in plenty of respects and that's one of them.

A slave's place in the social strata depends entirely on his owner. Some noble houses have slaves in positions of far more power than most commoners will ever dream of.

Same goes for gemmers. An "unafilliated" 'rinthi gemmer might be looked down on as dirt, but an Advisor in house Oash is going to wield plenty of clout.

All of this is colored by the general distrust of magick, of course, but that's a lot different than saying every single magicker is lower than dirt.

The legal position of gemmed mages is very different from that of slaves. I'd strongly recommend against conflating the two.

I like this idea, if only because it gives me some idea of what I could consider as a magicker.

I've always avoided the role because I've never played one, even though I've wanted to, but I didn't want to spend the whole time either on the run, bored, and/or unsure of what to do as a loner, at least until I had some idea of what I was doing. Once I have some general idea, then I'd feel more comfortable that way. Since they're a karma class, I didn't want to look like a complete doofus. This -sounds- like a good opportunity to me. If any of that makes sense.
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth

Change the name to The Circle. Sounds cooler to me.
But in overall, I think this is a great idea. Like someone said, there must have been some kind of organization for gemmed mages before, now it's just been brought to players' attention.
oyal slave of Crackageddon since 2004.

You all just fail to read the fine print in there.  Mudsex, that's what the Council is all about, no politics, no plotting to remove gems, just plain hard mudsexing in a controlled environment where the imms have a 24/7 snoop filter on.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I am so playing in the council with my next character, it's so hard to find good, raunchy shall we say.. magickal mudsex in arm. But seriously, I think it's an interesting new group to be made official, and it stands to add alot to Allanak as a whole.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

Quote from: "Seneschal"Change the name to The Circle. Sounds cooler to me.
But in overall, I think this is a great idea. Like someone said, there must have been some kind of organization for gemmed mages before, now it's just been brought to players' attention.

I doubt they'd be willing to change their name to The Circle, since it would sound too similar to a similarly named thing in Tuluk.  Can't emulate those wussy northerners, you know.   :P
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Unless it is a blatant joke/propaganda.

The beefy templar says, in sirihish, "Look citizens! More proof we are better than them! The circle we have now is like the northern circles! There is only one difference. We have added a gem to ours to protect you. They let theirs wander around freely!"
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime