Unintentional climbing

Started by a foreign presence, September 19, 2006, 06:00:30 AM

If you spot a room that leads to a sudden precipice, and that precipice should be more obvious than it is - or it's not otherwise mentioned in the room descs leading to it, typo it for me, and I'll try to make sure the room descs get updated appropriately.

Note: As it has already been mentioned, there are -several- rooms that are -intentionally- sneaky or otherwise are justified because of the nature of the rooms. Please don't typo these. I'm looking more for the types of things where it should be obvious you're walking along the edge of the grand canyon, for example.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Raising it up from the dead!

I have a question, if your character has the climb skill or is savvy with climbing, ect ect ... when you do choose to walk over the edge of a cliff, or walk into a room that you know has a hole in it ... does the code check to see if you "climbed" into the room safely (and can from there type down or what not) ... or does stepping into a room like this automatically cause your character to plummet unless they're flying?

I could see some badass ranger/thief running straight towards the edge of a cliff/building with a bahamet/soldier hot on their heels, jumping off the edge only to grab onto something just below the drop-off point, letting the followers either break off persuit, or take their chances falling also.

Not sure if the code allows such a thing to happen though.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Find out IC. And no, really, the finding out will be awesome.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Right, because it will completely kill the mystery of the game for me to prematurely learn if the code supports the idea of being able to use a rope to go /down/ a cliff-face, instead of up it without hurling my character over the edge a couple hundred times to test the ratio of success to fail.

No, 'twon't, but I'm telling you, in all seriousness, the finding out will be awesome.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I think you're just sniffing for new boots.

This one, I ran off the Shield Wall and didn't die. OOCly I was very angry. Next time, an Argosy.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

From my experience, most of the drop rooms I've tried have had skill checks. I haven't seen all that many drop rooms though - a couple handfuls of them over my time of playing. I know of some others but never had any reason/need to explore in them. So I have no idea if those have skill checks or if they're coded death-traps.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

it's a fair question.

email the mud for a delayed but accurate answer.

As far as I'm concerned it depends on the room. We slip and fall in real life. There are simply places in the world where it is dangerous to even be -near- the edge. Simple as that.

That's right, when you typed "n od" you didn't actually walk to the north. You screwed up. You walked near the edge, and you slipped and fell as the ground crumbled away beneath your footing. There are plenty of places I can think of it would be easy to step too close and slide down with an unlucky moment's carelessness.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I would simply prefer a toggle such as no_jump that you could turn on, and it wouldn't allow your character to walk off an obvious edge without removing the flag from your character.  That way, when I know my character is going to be moving through areas where there are linked exits leading to obvious drop-offs and cliff edges, I don't have to be concerned that my typo causes my character to do something completely unrealistic.

However, this flag would not protect you if you accidentally moved off an edge when:

> Fleeing from combat.
> Stumbling in the dark.
> Stumbling in a sand storm.
> The edge is not plain or obvious (pit trap, quicksand, etc...)

This kind of toggle would provide me with a natural method of curbing unrealistic behavior on the part of my character unless I either want it to happen or it truly is a situation where my character could accidentally fall.

-LoD

Quote from: LoD on May 14, 2008, 12:31:57 PM
I would simply prefer a toggle such as no_jump that you could turn on, and it wouldn't allow your character to walk off an obvious edge without removing the flag from your character.  That way, when I know my character is going to be moving through areas where there are linked exits leading to obvious drop-offs and cliff edges, I don't have to be concerned that my typo causes my character to do something completely unrealistic.

However, this flag would not protect you if you accidentally moved off an edge when:

> Fleeing from combat.
> Stumbling in the dark.

This kind of toggle would provide me with a natural method of curbing unrealistic behavior on the part of my character unless I either want it to happen or it truly is a situation where my character could accidentally fall.

-LoD

But i love dt's, and i always have a backpack full of recall scrolls.
/misses old mud games.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

yea but then you'd have to flag every dang edge as "obvious" or "not obvious."

hopefully they've already included this in arma 2!

improper dancing

in the middle of the street

May 14, 2008, 09:25:55 PM #39 Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:27:40 PM by musashi
Quote from: Agent_137 on May 14, 2008, 11:19:46 AM
it's a fair question.

email the mud for a delayed but accurate answer.

I did ... though it didn't take them long at all to get back to me!

The answer was yes, you do in fact always get a skill check, so we all have the chance to cling to the edge of the cliff we just walked off of, no matter how small that chance may or may not be.

Happy falling!

If they want you to ask your question in a private mail, and they answer you in a private mail...

Should the question and answer really be posted for all to see?

May 14, 2008, 11:01:48 PM #41 Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:07:16 PM by musashi
Does this really strike you as a secret that should only be passed onto those select few who need to know?

Do you see any replies from any member of staff in this thread so far stating that the question is private in nature?

Do you see any replies in this thread from staff at all?

If yes ... then I'm sorry, my bad.

I'd say if you can't tell whether the next room is a climb-check room, there's probably a good reason. If not, use the bug command.

Quote from: Rhyden on May 14, 2008, 11:25:37 PM
I'd say if you can't tell whether the next room is a climb-check room, there's probably a good reason. If not, use the bug command.

*nods* My question had just been: If you actually /want/ to try and go out over the edge of an obviously climb-check room for whatever reason, using a direction command other than up or down. Do you still get a climb check? Or do you fall automatically. The answer being, yes, you always get a climb-check. Yay.  :)

I'm still not going to base-jump off the Shield Wall to test it though.

Quote from: musashi on May 14, 2008, 09:25:55 PM
I did ... though it didn't take them long at all to get back to me!

The answer was yes, you do in fact always get a skill check, so we all have the chance to cling to the edge of the cliff we just walked off of, no matter how small that chance may or may not be.

Happy falling!

Good to know!

Hm, it should also be noted that you can "Scramble for purchase" entering up as you fall. This typically hurts as fingers sliced to ribbons and muscles are pulled out of joint, and other bad things. It might be safer to actually just focus on landing correctly.

Quote from: Djarjak on September 19, 2006, 08:34:10 AM
Could you describe a scenario where typing exits (the equivalent of a quick look around before proceeding) might not suffice to notify you that the room you are about to enter will plunge you off the edge of a cliff?

Quote from: Eternal on September 19, 2006, 10:18:55 AM
I have yet to find a room on the edge of a plummet that didn't explicitly say so in the description.  As far as fleeing animals, mebbe it's the only direction the hostile beastie would let you escape... I know if I was a beastie and could pin you between a fall and my teeth, I'd choose that.  If you fled, you would fall... it's your choice, plummet to your death (and possibly succeed on a climb check and not die) or be food.

If I ever encountered a room with a surprise drop that didn't have leading rooms that spelled out 'doom ahead', I'd probably typo the room, or bug the falling one (if I hadn't already fallen/died, heh).  Haven't encountered this yet...  though.  I can think of only a small handful of rooms that I've encountered where a climb check might not have saved you, and really... they're obvious as all heck.

Reading descriptions is good, fighting beasties on precipices is bad.

I've found two rooms that give no warning I've bugged them but nothing has been done.

> Fleeing from combat.
> Stumbling in the dark.

-LoD

This.

Although I like the idea of having to type the full direction to force going off of the edge rather than a toggle. More spontaneous.
Lunch makes me happy.

June 06, 2008, 01:53:16 PM #47 Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:56:13 PM by Morgenes
From the game engine, assuming you can see fine:

> north
Going that way would require climbing.
<Type 'climb north' to go that way>

> look north
To the north is a cliff side.
Going that way would require climbing.

> climb north
You climb north.
A Cliff Side [N S]

Once you start climbing, you're toggled into that movement type, much like running.  If you're going up/down and it's a climb, you don't have to type 'climb <direction>'.

When you are no longer able to climb, but you can go a direction, you can jump that direction to jump off the cliff:

> north
Going that way would require jumping.
<Type 'jump north' to go that way>

> look north
To the north is above a wide plain.
Going that way would require jumping.

> jump north
You jump north.
Above a Wide Plain [S U D]

You fall...

Note that for the protection of the innocents, the locations above were masked and modified from their original.  The messages related to climbing/jumping are not changed.

Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

That's really cool  ;D

There is a jump command?
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.