Arm Promo?

Started by jmordetsky, September 13, 2006, 06:45:54 PM

Taking a push from Mansa.

If you had theoretically had 5-10k at your disposal, how would you promote the mud?

Post your ideas here.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

google ads

a reference cd promo for certain games

a reference cd promo inside some books

a reference cd promo inside some magazines

yahoo ads
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

specific armageddon client

rewrite of the website

hire some coders to update the user interface

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

print out flyers and put them up in the comic book / gaming shops / universities / colleges around town.

make a 'promoting' section of the website that has a zip file with all kinds of goodies like pictures, flyers, logs

make a 'view the game' section that is a very very small video of a telnet client, and people tying in commands and going places and doing stuff.  Like a movable log of someone sparring or something exciting.  like a large animated gif

Begin my own university level course.

Gaming 112: Mudding and how Arm is the best one.

Secondly though, I've actually come very close to doing just that with flyers, just lost my job before I copied a bunch. I really should though, it's not that expensive at all really.

I'd LOVE to see a T.V commercial about arm. Man.. would that be cool. We'd put Malifaxis as a mul, and Mansa as the elf getting beaten up.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I would blow half of it on hookers and blow, then spend the rest to buy banner space on a large gaming/forums site, like Jolt. That place gets insane traffic everyday from random  Web travelers, gamers, and forum-monkeys.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Bumper stickers for sale at conventions, and plane tickets to get a resident Armag hottie to go distribute them.

Spam mailing system:  "WANT BIGGER SAND?  MORE TREACHER?Y!  DISCOUNT GREEN TABLETS ONLIN3!  Waterhorse powerflex skelebane bimbal."

And I'd turn five K immediately around and ask the Sci-Fi channel to make a Stargate SG1 episode about a crazy desert world called Zalanthas where the O'Neil turns into a sorcerer king, Teal'c becomes a gladiator trainer, Carter saves the day, and Daniel gets laid.  Because -that- would get us some popularity.

Donate to and ask the meteorological foundation to name next years first hurricane as Hurricane Armageddon.org (with the .org in it).

I don't know what you're talking about FDMW
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Meh, getting a massive amount of viewing for a geeky game like this is easy.  Just get us slashdotted.  Warn the ISP first, though.   :wink:

Advertising on websites across the net, a simple television advertizment with a templar walking in the desert and then being stepped on by a mekillot with a bunch of elves chasing it with the exit words of, "Don't feed the hobbits, don't trust the elves. Armageddon."

I already personaly use a Armageddon banner on my Myspace profile and in other places, I also spread a lot by word.

slashdotted or farked.

hmm.

or even digged

Shalooonsh wrote:
QuoteDonate to and ask the meteorological foundation to name next years first hurricane as Hurricane Armageddon.com (with the .com in it).
But aren't we armageddon.org?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

You see, I think we need to fix Armageddon and make it more user friendly -before- we start to market it.  I mean, when you start a game, you don't even have a prompt!  What's with that!

Some of us should write what we thing Armageddon should do to make it more user friendly.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"Shalooonsh wrote:
QuoteDonate to and ask the meteorological foundation to name next years first hurricane as Hurricane Armageddon.com (with the .com in it).
But aren't we armageddon.org?

Yeh. Don't send them to Armageddon.com .... the pop ups make me cry.

spend it on making the server bigger, and get alot of ads out there
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

I put the voting stuff in my signature! I think it's probably the only useful thing I've done in two years. I'd have to check with the staff on that figure.

I love mansa's idea of having a section of the website that contains some snazzy looking promo posters/flyers in pdf that we could print off and stick in our local indie gaming stores/geek hangouts.
If i had any clue about design, i'd give it ashot but i don't so i won't.
quote="Dakkon Black"]Found salty oasis. Actually mek pee.[/quote]

Quote from: "Yang"I put the voting stuff in my signature! I think it's probably the only useful thing I've done in two years. I'd have to check with the staff on that figure.

Put RPI mud in there too! I can never find a link to that place.

For what it's worth, mansa's right. Most promotional pushes will, by necessity, drive people to the website. If the website isn't navigable, appealing, or comprehensible, people aren't going to stick around, regardless of the push.

Same for the UI.

And this does exist: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/adpage.html

I've put in a request to have the existing materials added in a link to that site, including flyers, business cards, and a poster.

In addendum: if you want to promote arm in your community and need ideas about how to do so, or access to materials for printing, you can e-mail me and I'll do what I can to set you up.

Please cc mud on all correspondence.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Yeh, the website seems like it really needs an overhaul and a lot more thought put into the navigation. I often find pages that I can never find again. Or see plenty of pages linked to on the forum...that you can't actually get to from the site.

From the design side...it's nice and simple, but I suppose it could be more attractive (no offence meant to whoever designed it).

I work in a team that does webdevelopment (I'm the designer, other two are coders). We work for very reasonable prices, I'm sure we'd be happy to help.  :wink:

I think it's also fair to remind folks, here...

This fictional $5k-10K isn't at our disposal.

If you want to put up that amount of cash, I believe the staff has always welcomed donations. But assuming that Armageddon has funds available to spend on stuff like this might be a bit unfair, here.

This is a volunteer-run effort.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Quote from: "Beux"
I work in a team that does webdevelopment (I'm the designer, other two are coders). We work for very reasonable prices, I'm sure we'd be happy to help.  :wink:

You could always donate your hours......
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: "Djarjak"I think it's also fair to remind folks, here...

This fictional $5k-10K isn't at our disposal.

If you want to put up that amount of cash, I believe the staff has always welcomed donations. But assuming that Armageddon has funds available to spend on stuff like this might be a bit unfair, here.

This is a volunteer-run effort.

Yes. The 5-10k is a "If you had" not a "hey we have".

I was trying to see what creative ideas for marketing a game like arm people would come up with. IE if you had open access to funds what sort of people would you try to reach.

My biggest, baddest idea was to possibly try and tie up with a popular writer.

I think if I had unlimited access to resources I would:

1) Buy a chunk of licenses to Zmud, or pull a good open source client that I could redestribute.

2) Customize the client so that it was "arm-a-riffic" and n00b friendly. Lots of abstraction and a good gui for people who don't get what a command like is right away.

3) Hook up with a popular fantasy writer and get him to package the CD with the client up with his book.

4) Wait.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "jmordetsky"Taking a push from Mansa.

If you had theoretically had 5-10k at your disposal, how would you promote the mud?

Post your ideas here.

CHANGE YOUR NAME TO ARMAGEDDON DOT ORG

Quote from: "Moofassa"
Quote from: "Beux"

You could always donate your hours......

Yeh. I'm actually in the habit of donating my hours quite regularly. My last 'pro-bono' project was for another mud in fact, a mud I immed on. Except my team aren't so generous and I get in trouble...and I can't do it without them. They're the php brainz.