Possible New Races

Started by Dakkon Black, August 23, 2006, 07:01:58 PM

Which race do you want the most?

Gith (dirty, filthy, zalanthian)
41 (31.3%)
Mantis (live the life of a crab)
8 (6.1%)
Plant-Man (use up water faster then others!)
12 (9.2%)
Feline Race (sexor possibilities)
22 (16.8%)
Mutants (bigger sexor possibilities)
12 (9.2%)
No New Races. (I am a conservative twit)
36 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: August 23, 2006, 07:01:58 PM

Quote from: "Sanvean"There are two possibilities that have been PC races before, the gith and the mantis, and several new candidates, including a plant-based race, a feline race, and mutants.

Holy crap. Personally I'm completely torn between a plant based race (thanks to Zhaan from Farscape, a show you must watch if you haven't yet(no seriously, go get the dvd's right now)) and the mutants.

Mutants and Plant Men! PLEASE

The tall, green leafed man begins to root himself.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I think I would enjoy playing a gith.

That is all.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

NO CATGIRLS IN THE DESERT PLEASE.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

So ... I've seen some fairly mutated characters in game.  My char currently has a small mutation.   What sets these mutants apart?  They live in their own mutant colony and ambush RVs driving through the desert?

Edit: I voted for plants.  I can already play a dirty person in the desert who kills people, so Gith isn't that appealing.  I could never get my head around playing a mantis (though others could, I'm sure).  Felines?  Noes!  Mutants would be somewhat cool ... as long as it didn't feel too 80s.

P.S. I voted for the plant man.  I want to be a walking cactus chilling in the Gaj.  I wonder what kind of stats they'll get?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"NO CATGIRLS IN THE DESERT PLEASE.

Actually, cats have a higher tolerance for heat than humans do due to the insulation that their fur provides. So yes, let's have catgirls with furry tails, pink bushy hair, and anime eyes.  :wink:

I think the feline race would be interesting to add to the world.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I would assume a mutant race would be that particular tribe of mutants that aided Tuluk during the rebellion.  I forget what they're called.  I think they all share a particular set of mutations, making them essentially a new race.

A feline race would be cool, but I'd have serious worries about huge influxes of Furry fans or something.  If that happened I think I'd have to make a dwarf with a focus to wipe them out.   :lol:

Plants... I'd have to see the full concept before judging.

Gith and mantis have been discussed before.

I think my vote goes towards the mutants.  Either city would slay any of the others immediatly should they show up at the gates, at least at first.  The mutants would be accepted in Tuluk at least, and with the renewed potential for open warfare between the cities they'd have a big role to play in the world again.

The leafy-eared, grass-haired man sings, in sirihish:
'Rooooots, bloody roooooots!'

Jokes aside, I'd like mutants to be a new race option. They could start out as northern Thryzn or the misshapen creatures that are born along the shores of the Sea of Eternal Dust.

No catpeople. Mantis or gith, maybe. Possibly plant-people as long as they don't look like ents.

I personally would like to a Thryzzn, but they might be a little special.

I also would like a really reptilian race.  You might say gith have scales and hunched backs, but that's all so far as the descriptions go.  They're more of a tribe of elves than an entirely separate species.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I got dibs on playing the first cactrot.

The spiny, green-skinned cactrot arrives from the west.

The spiny, green-skinned cactrot starts to cast a spell.

You take 1000 damage from the spiny, green-skinned cactrot.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Well..I actualy didn't vote, as I don't see any of the possiblities currently available as going through..other than the mutant option.

To run with the above concept of a reptilian race, I for one would support this a lot sooner than I would a plant/feline/whatever race...despite the fact that I'm intrigued with the idea of sentiant plants, and cats are my favorite animal anyway...

If a reptile race were to be added, I'd vote for it being some sort of lower sub-species related to The Dragon and set the karma level to 8 or possibly adding a 9th level slot just for it...hell, forget makeing a playable race, just do this as an HRPT!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Any new race would be awesome... I had no idea the staff were even considering it. Plantmen would be intriguing, and of course there are the lovable gith and cuddly mantises.
Mutants could be cool... either the thryzzn, or some sort of "create-a-race" option, a race you'd select when your character is so fucked up that it can't easily be assess-ved as human or elven or whatever.
So, my votes:
1. Gith (tribal-roleplay fun, interaction via raiding, and plus, gith just rock your face)
2. Mutants (either as Thryzzn, or something else. Technically, they already exist in game, if you think about it)
3. Plantmen (we might have to stretch to explain their sudden appearance, but my curiosity has officially been piqued)
Of course, we did just open halflings, who totally rock my socks off. So I wouldn't be surprised if the plantmen never happened. Just saying... it'd be nifty.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I voted for Gith.
Mantis too could be sweet but probably very hard to play correctly.

Mutants and plant-based sound intriguing, but I'm not sure if I want to see new races.
Felines sound like a bad idea.  Even though I'd be surprised if Arm seriously got a new race whose concept was "these are happy shiny cat people that love to purr and act like cats!", I think a lot of people might seriously misunderstand that race because of the way every other MUD has it implemented.  It might even turn down some new players who are sick of such races.

It's hard to make a call without knowing what the races really are, but I've left my world-altering vote on the Gith, as I said.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

MUTANTS!

Wait.  There are already mutants around.

PLANT MAN!  They have to grow roots of course.

On a more serious note, I would not want Mantis to be opened to the playerbase, unless they are allowed to be a gladiator only.

Gith, maybe.  They have good culture and it will be good to put some living danger to the desert.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I voted "no new races". Gith and mantis will further spread out our already somewhat thin playerbase. Plant-men and cat-girls just do not fit in IMO, and they've never existed before - would they just spring into life all of a sudden? I don't see how mutants are a race of their own, mutation is a trait that anyone can get, it's not a race. That's like making a new race for club-footed people.

Look at halflings, what have they added to the game? How many of you can say that you've felt an improvement since that handful of people were allowed to play halflings? If giths or mantis are made into a playable race, our already low population will lose another handful of people who will be thrown out where their possible interaction with others is limited to killing them.

If anything, I would suggest a race of tribal humans. Give them a few physical traits to portray extra toughness from living in the harsh desert for generations, give them Bendune and tribal accent that nomad-subguild gets, and let tribal people choose their own subguild instead of being forced to take one with little other benefits. It never made sense to me that tribals had to spend their subguild to get the accent and language that they should have.

Almost every clan is struggling with low numbers, please don't send another 5 players to Cai'Shyzn where they can sit and chitter to eachother.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"I voted "no new races". Gith and mantis will further spread out our already somewhat thin playerbase. Plant-men and cat-girls just do not fit in IMO, and they've never existed before - would they just spring into life all of a sudden? I don't see how mutants are a race of their own, mutation is a trait that anyone can get, it's not a race. That's like making a new race for club-footed people.

Look at halflings, what have they added to the game? How many of you can say that you've felt an improvement since that handful of people were allowed to play halflings? If giths or mantis are made into a playable race, our already low population will lose another handful of people who will be thrown out where their possible interaction with others is limited to killing them.

If anything, I would suggest a race of tribal humans. Give them a few physical traits to portray extra toughness from living in the harsh desert for generations, give them Bendune and tribal accent that nomad-subguild gets, and let tribal people choose their own subguild instead of being forced to take one with little other benefits. It never made sense to me that tribals had to spend their subguild to get the accent and language that they should have.

Almost every clan is struggling with low numbers, please don't send another 5 players to Cai'Shyzn where they can sit and chitter to eachother.

I felt an improvement with halflings.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Gith.

There needs to be PC gith. It would make being a delf so much more challenging and twinks would quit killing every single damn gith NPC around, some of which, are, in fact, delves.

Quote from: "Hymwen"If anything, I would suggest a race of tribal humans. Give them a few physical traits to portray extra toughness from living in the harsh desert for generations, give them Bendune and tribal accent that nomad-subguild gets, and let tribal people choose their own subguild instead of being forced to take one with little other benefits. It never made sense to me that tribals had to spend their subguild to get the accent and language that they should have.

I'm personally going to try to app for the Plainsfolk when my current dies.  Wish me luck.

Also, a correction.  Mutants like Thryzzn and kryl are distinct races.  A human child couldn't be born as either, but both races are developed mutations of another.

My desire to see a new race come from the face that all the races except the mantis are still pretty much the same.   Most are socially inclined, mammalian, and omnivorous bipeds.  Only the extremely antagonistic nature of Gith and Halflings keep them away from other races.  I want a race with a different physiology which would then affect its society and its interactions with other races.

That's why I would like to see something like a reptilian race, and I thought up an idea some time ago.  Since an intelligent reptile would probably find it a bit easier to survive in the Known World than mammals, there would be less natural inclination to a solid social structure.  Now the rub is that competition from other intelligent species would slowly but surely wipe them out.  Always being one for a good story, I say that at this point a dictator rises up in the ranks of the reptilian race and unites it by outright force.

It's a neat setup for a race.  The primary struggle being preventing the whole society from falling apart due to its own seperatist nature, a sort of long-term gain vs. short-term gain conflict.  It might also be fun to establish the society as relatively new, and in its attempts to strengthen itself against its neighbors, the society raises a sort of warrior class and restricts intensive weapons training from the rest of the population in an attempt to maintain order.  Just to head off any possible misinterpretations, I'm not suggesting another sort of templar, the suggested class would be far more numerous and codewise would be just like the warriors of any other race, except the majority of the resources in the society would be directed toward supporting them.

Well, that's the idea at a glance.  I could go on, but I haven't hammered the thing into a coherent whole.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Hymwen"If anything, I would suggest a race of tribal humans. Give them a few physical traits to portray extra toughness from living in the harsh desert for generations, give them Bendune and tribal accent that nomad-subguild gets, and let tribal people choose their own subguild instead of being forced to take one with little other benefits. It never made sense to me that tribals had to spend their subguild to get the accent and language that they should have.

If you put in your background that your character is a nomad, yes then I guess you should pick the nomad subguild (counts for half-elves, dwarves and humans alike). If you want to make a tribal human and work it out with the staff in advance, you don't have to pick nomad as subguild.

No catgirls, please, please!  The playerbase would surely rise if they were implemented but it'd be all anime kids flocking to the MUD hoping to sex each other up.

I voted none, though I'm neither a conservative nor a twit.  The problem I have with all the race suggestions is that every single one sounds suspiciously like an iso tribe waiting to happen.  In my opinion, we've got plenty of those.

I'd like to see a new race that can successfully integrate with the rest of the playerbase rather than live outside of them, creating more sub-MUDs within the MUD.

I am a conservative twit.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I am a tonservative clit.
I think that plant/cat races would detract from the gritty realism of Armageddon and force the world in a fantasy direction.
Mutants, well, you can already create a mutant and I don't see why they would need different stats/skills, just roleplay their particular mutation (Sounds like a cool idea, must take note for my next character).
Mantis would be nigh-on impossible to roleplay IMO.
And Gith as a playable race would force more players into the wilderness, as there's little or NO way that Gith could interact with the playerbase save for killin' em.
So... I voted for no change.
Change is bad.
quote="Dakkon Black"]Found salty oasis. Actually mek pee.[/quote]