Request For Comment (RFC): Sing allows newlines in output:

Started by Morgenes, August 07, 2006, 01:46:44 PM

We are looking at adding formatting ability for the sing command. The idea is that it's hard for those playing bards to emphasize the lyrical flow of a song when they must either spew out an entire stanza in one long line or break it up into several short ones that are disrupted by other things happening.

Right now, what we see is:

> sing Love, love me do.  You know I'll love you.  I'll always be true. So, please - love me do
You sing, in sirihish:
  'Love, love me do. You know I'll love you. I'll always be true. So, please - love me do.'

What we propose is:

> sing Love, love me do.\nYou know I'll love you.\nI'll always be true.\nSo, please - love me do
You sing, in sirihish:
  'Love, love me do.
   You know I love you.
   I'll always be true.
   So, please - love me do.'

In doing this, we are talking about adding a 'brief songs' option that will allow you to compact this back down as it was before.

> brief songs
Turning brief 'songs' on.

The bard sings, in sirihish:
  'Love, love me do. You know I'll love you. I'll always be true. So, please - love me do.'

Thoughts/Ideas/Complaints?

What else can we do to help bards and those listening to them?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

*thumbs up*  Awesome.

Other than escape character tradition, though, is there any way you don't just have it as '\' instead of '\n'?  There's really no reason people would use characters other than standard punctuation in says/sings anyway.

I'm really fond of this idea.  Most songs that you read in prose come off in a poetic styling (i.e. Tolkien)... and I can only see this as an enhancement to that.

The ability to turn it off, for people who prefer singing to look the same... brilliant.

For bards, I'd like to see the play command used a bit more... something other than the seemingly canned response issuing forth, though this is easily handled by emotes... but as a player dream (possible coder nightmare) to be able to play a well-known song using the command and then add emotes throughout... perhaps even loading a song one verse at a time (and here's why I'm not a coder) and thus belt out each line with the play...

Lord Templar Hard Nose rambles on about bards, showing his novice coding and lack of bardic understanding.

I think there may need to be a better command to initate the new line, despite the \n being the obvious one for any programmers :).  How about |, \, or : ?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Eternal"For bards, I'd like to see the play command used a bit more... something other than the seemingly canned response issuing forth, though this is easily handled by emotes... but as a player dream (possible coder nightmare) to be able to play a well-known song using the command and then add emotes throughout... perhaps even loading a song one verse at a time (and here's why I'm not a coder) and thus belt out each line with the play...

What play command? I'm afraid you really lost me here. :)

As for Morgenes... YAY! I love you! This will really help a lot!  It will make songs easier to read for everyone and it will really make them feel more like a song instead of just a bunch of scrolling lines.  I've used something similar in another mud and it really does help a lot on both counts.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Like Medena, I've used something similar elsewhere and it really does help the bard's song to seem more like a performance. It also makes it much easier to follow the song. I'd love to see this implemented. Maybe something similar could be done for those who don't sing, but like to recite poetry?

Man.  I would have loved this.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

I like the reformatting.  I would suggest allowing semicolons to end a line in the formatting as well--assuming you haven't already done that. ;)

Edit: Strike that.  It's perfect the way it is.  I'm really sleepy and misread your post, Morg.  Sorry.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I'm fine with the '\n' because I'm familiar with how to use 'prompt' and my prompts are always two lines, so include this.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I want to have your children...
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I love you, Morgenes.

I mean, I love this idea. Yeah, that's what I meant. I just got carried away in the moment.

This will be hugely helpful. My only question/comment would be: Are the lines separated with \n going to be length-restricted as a unit, or separately? Because a lot of multi-line songs or poems aren't as short and sweet as "Love, Love Me Do," but have individual lines that are much longer.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Love it, Morgenes, is there a chance there could be a small addition to the idea, allowing the singer to carry their voice longer distances (a singing version of shout)?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I favor the idea also.  Couplets.... all kinds of options.  And more interesting to read.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "Morgenes"
What else can we do to help bards and those listening to them?

Add an ignore function.

But seriously though, brief songs would definitely help. Crowded taverns have lines moving by fast. Having 5+ lines in one surge go by would be absolutely brutal.

I can see this definitely making someone singing easier to follow, rhythmically.  Would be a great addition.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

Geez. If you're going to add the brief command, there's absolutely no downside to this code. Go for it.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Please....Please, oh please..oh please please please pleeeaaase add this in.

I could rattle on about the pluses to having it this way, but I think we all recognize them.  Please..please add it.

You know I love you.

This idea is so fantastic, wonderful, and amazing that it deserves a whole new word in the english language.  Fantaswazing.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

For the record, this idea was originally proposed by Naiona on the staff boards.  Serious props to her for the great idea.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Aw, shucks.

Crooning like a gizhat with a head-cold, you sing, in sirihish:
    "I'm all out of sid, I'm so lost without it.
     I knew it was right, raiding for so long.
     I'm all out of sid, what am I without it?
     It can't be too late, strip the corpse and then I'm gone..."
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

Use the | character, that you obtain by hitting the shift+\ key.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Why, V?  I mean, like I said earlier, we already use \n as a line return for other things.  Why NOT use it for this?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

\ seems like a fine symbol for this sort of thing, since it's a keystroke that has no other mud use. \n is two keystrokes that are not necessarily apparent to noncoders.