Request For Comment (RFC): Sing allows newlines in output:

Started by Morgenes, August 07, 2006, 01:46:44 PM

The \n thing is not very fluid, but neither, in that case, is |. Per jstorrie, \ would work just fine.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "jstorrie"\n is two keystrokes that are not necessarily apparent to noncoders.
...but I maintain is apparent to anyone that uses 'prompt' to its full potential.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Thanks for the comments on the proposal.  The code has now gone live.  

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21437

Your comments were all incorporated in the design of this code.  You can choose to use '|', '\' or '/' to signify a line of your song.  Feel free to use this topic to continue any discussions on this new change.

And yes, we're looking at the possibility of a 'recite' or 'orate' command to allow you to the same thing but with stories.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Is the whitespace before and/or after the deliminator manditory?

No, you don't have to have whitespace before or after the delimiter.  As a matter of fact, any white space AFTER the delimiter will be eaten up to the first word of your next line.

Do be aware though that those with 'brief songs' on will see your original 'sing' without the delimiters turned into newlines.  It will not add any extra spacing either, so it'd likely be best to leave a space around the delimiter for them.  But no, it's not necessary.  If it's enough of an issue for the brief songs people, we can look at automatically adding a 1 space buffer around the delimiter.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Tested, works well. Longer lines can only go two at once, so it's not PERFECT :P  but it's a huge and wonderful improvement.

I would really like to see a "recite" command, would be very useful for poetry. Keep them stanzas together.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Longer lines can only go two at once, so it's not PERFECT

Can you post an example of what you mean by this?  Providing the exact command you're typing and the output formatting using a code block?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Morg - this is just awesome and makes me want to try a bard again.
Nice work.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "Morgenes"
Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Longer lines can only go two at once, so it's not PERFECT

Can you post an example of what you mean by this?  Providing the exact command you're typing and the output formatting using a code block?

sing (tapping ^me foot in time to the music) The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee \ The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy. \ With a load of iron ore - 26,000 tons more than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty \ That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed when the gales of November came early

Comes out as:

Line too long. Truncated to:
sing (tapping ^me foot in time to the music) The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee \ The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy. \ With a load of iron ore -...
Tapping your foot in time to the music, you sing, in sirihish:
    "The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
     The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy.
     With a load of iron ore -..."

As I said, it's not a huge huge deal. I'd like it to allow more longer lines, but no biggie if it doesn't, because two lines at a time is still workable.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Ah...I see, thanks for the reply.  Ya, not seeing us budge on that anytime soon, line length is there to make sure things don't get flooded.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"

And yes, we're looking at the possibility of a 'recite' or 'orate' command to allow you to the same thing but with stories.

That would be cool.  5 lines is the perfect length for naughty limericks.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Would it be possible to have the code reset the character limit on commands each time you enter a / to break your song?
Back from a long retirement

no, the character limit is enforced well before the code to break it into lines comes into play.  And it could also be abused to have REALLY long lines.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

What kind of abuse issues do you see with really long lines?
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "moab"What kind of abuse issues do you see with really long lines?

You could spam someone's screen into not seeing an action or even, if the buffer can't stand it, killing the link.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.