SO intimidated!

Started by Bodmerocity, August 02, 2006, 04:52:11 PM

This is exactly the type of game I've been looking to get into, but I'm SO scared to apply. I've already written backgrounds and descriptions for three characters before tossing them in disgust.

Is it acceptable to be kind of lame in game for a while before you learn the ropes?

Any suggestions for a newbie friendly sort of role?

I'm still a newbie.

Don't be scared. People are nicer and more helpful in the game than they often sound like they might be on the forums ;)

Get in touch with a helper, there are lots of good ones listed here: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php

Make a warrior character in Allanak and join the Byn, is a frequent suggestion you'll hear. It's not the only thing you could do, but it is tried-and-true.

Very soon you'll be addicted. I certainly am.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I suggest you get in the game and die.

Then get back in and die.

Then get back in and live a bit longer, then die.

It's really the best way to live.

And, also, to message some of the helpers.
http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Welcome to Armageddon.

My suggestion: play a character from one of the farming villages surrounding Allanak - Menos, Yaroch, or Taki. That way you can play up the "ignorant farmboy" idea about the "big city."

Don't worry about looking newbish. The very best of RPers still look like newbies the first time they're playing in Arm - you'll get over it.

My other suggestion: Read the help files. Keep reading them. Make a sandwich and read them some more. Print them out and read them on the can. They're available online (http://www.armageddon.org/help/index_frames.html) if you haven't seen them yet.[/url]
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Very acceptable.  We were all lame starting out.

For a newbie character, I would suggest warrior, ranger, or burglar (but you don't have to play as someone who steals things), and then try and find a clan to join.

I would also suggest digging up those concepts you've tossed away and apply them.  There's a rather good chance that you'll die quickly as a new player, and it's less traumatic if you're playing a character you don't particularly like rather than one you spent hours and hours designing and writing down the names for all of his second cousins, etc.  Save the good concepts until you get a handle of things and know you'll be able to play it out.

Welcome to armageddon!

Don't feed the elves.

-Ken

Quote from: "Bodmerocity"This is exactly the type of game I've been looking to get into, but I'm SO scared to apply. I've already written backgrounds and descriptions for three characters before tossing them in disgust.

Is it acceptable to be kind of lame in game for a while before you learn the ropes?

Hi, and welcome!

This game is too complex and original for anyone to expect a new player to know exactly what to do. Every single one of us has been in your metaphorical shoes once and most of us probably felt the same way (I know I did). I like to think that most of us are very accepting towards new players and try our best to help. In fact we've had a fair amount of new additions (and addictions) lately, and you can probably find the basics of what you need in the similar threads in "Ask the Players". Don't be afraid to be confused, just throw yourself into it because that's how you'll learn. The sooner you get the hang of it, the sooner you can begin to truly enjoy this fantastic game. Ha, doesn't that sound like a cheap ad? It's true though.
b]YB <3[/b]

It's fine, just read some of the docs so you at least don't say "YE HONORED DWARF, MAY YOUR BEARD FOR EVER GROW LONG" it would be more like "Move out of the way you bald stumpy". Also don't trust elves, they are not Tolkiens friendly wise elves. Also, don't play a pickpocket as a starting guild is what I recommend, try warrior or ranger.

If you'd like help writing up a PC concept, I'd love to help you.

So would a good deal of the helpers available, if you'd like to choose one of them from the list of helpers that some helpful player will post in this thread.

If you'd like my help with your character, email your concept to me at

shalooonsh@ginka.armageddon.org

And I promise you a very interesting time.

(PS- I will be at work for the majority of the day, and you may have to wait a while for a response.)
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

I can't say a lot to add on to some of the other helpful suggestions in this thread, so let me just say welcome to Arm. I hope you have a great time here, and good luck.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Don't be afraid of rejection - as long as you don't make a background/description that wildly conflicts with the documentation you'll probably get approved for your first character. The other advice in this thread is good too, I definitely recommend the "farm boy" concept in some form. Giving yourself a plausible IC reason to not know stuff as your first PC will make learning it more fun, and you won't feel awkward not knowing things your PC should.

Good luck!
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "Some people"the "farm boy" concept

Or the farm GIRL concept  :roll:

Remember, there's no sexism in ARM ;)

Actaully in Arm its more of the farm humanoid concept. :wink:

Quote from: "Dresan"Actaully in Arm its more of the farm humanoid concept. :wink:

Touché :)

Welcome to Armageddon.

Do you like your wonderful hotel accomodations? Oh? It's a pallet in the Gaj? Watch out for the stabbity evils.

Find helpers. They love to get newbies experienced so they have more of a challenge ganking them later. :)
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Helpers are the awesomeness even after you've figured out how to move around and how not to starve or die of dehydration. They can give all sorts of nifty, non-IC-info advice on how to play your role, how not to die immediately in combat, and stuff like that. I have talked to a couple of helpers for specific types of issues and I love them to pieces. They are friendly and very cool people too. Yeah, like Bogre said, they might gank you later, but it will be 100% IC ;)

Quote from: "Bodmerocity"Is it acceptable to be kind of lame in game for a while before you learn the ropes?

Hello, Bod.:)  Welcome to Armageddon.

I'd keep things simple the very first time around.  Allanak is a good place to start because so many players are there, with Tuluk being a close second.  If I were you, I would make a human warrior.  Humans are the most common race in the world, while warriors can help you survive a bit if you get lost and run into trouble.

Don't worry about seeming lame. ;)  It can actually help if you run into some newbie-friendly players.

For roles, I would recommend getting into some form of guard position for either the Byn (mercenaries) or one of the noble houses.

As a matter of making a description, keep in mind that something too strange like wings or a second head will get people shying away from you.  I would make a reasonably normal looking character so you can interact from the beginning.

Your short description should be an identifier that people can see from a few rooms away and know it's you.  For your main description, it would probably be easiest at this point to just start with general things about the character, like skin tone and hairstyle (or lack thereof) and work your way to the more specific, like freckles and eyecolor.

Lastly, don't be discouraged if you don't make the perfect pc description.  All you have to worry about is making sure that it's coherent and has good spelling and grammar.  The first few times I made mud characters, I placed the main desc into a text file, ran it through spellcheck and then read it out loud to myself to make sure it didn't sound choppy.

Anyway, good luck.:)  And remember: The wilderness is not your friend.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

One piece of advice:  The command to exit the game is 'quit', not 'sleep'.  The sleep command will leave your character defenseless and helpless, so it's not something you want to do in a public place.

I know I've said this before, but I will say it again because I've seen a few linkdead PCs standing around in odd places for long periods of time:

You must go to a quit safe room to quit out, and you have to type quit.  You can't just close your client and sever the connection, because that will leave you linkdead and vulnerable.

Edited to add: All taverns have quit safe rooms.  You can type "quit test" to determine which ones you can quit out in.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Welcome dude, it's always nice to see new players signing up. I look forward to stealing your boots. It's been said, I'll say it again, contact a helper in advance.
Amor Fati

Wow. I think this is the friendliest, most unpretetious message board I've ever been a part of, and I've been on quite a few. Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice, everyone!

You'll be seeing me around more for sure.

(PS: theres usually some confusion about my name. It's pronounced Boad-merr + ocity, like viscocity. It's the condition of being Bodmer, which means 'hella sweet' in my native tounge. Which is English.)

Quote from: "Bodmerocity"Any suggestions for a newbie friendly sort of role?

If you are looking for something combat oriented, try the Byn.

If you are looking for something that doesn't deal with a lot of combat, the atrium is pretty darn fun.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Bodmerocity"Wow. I think this is the friendliest, most unpretetious message board I've ever been a part of, and I've been on quite a few. Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice, everyone!

You'll be seeing me around more for sure.

(PS: theres usually some confusion about my name. It's pronounced Boad-merr + ocity, like viscocity. It's the condition of being Bodmer, which means 'hella sweet' in my native tounge. Which is English.)

Welcome to the jungle, darling... (or, in the case of Allanak, the sands  :) )
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

QuoteWow. I think this is the friendliest, most unpretetious message board I've ever been a part of, and I've been on quite a few.

I guess we have been a lot better lately! Congratulations, everyone.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Welcome!  Read those docs and ask as many questions as you like.  You'll be glad you did...or maybe you'll be more confused.  But in the long run, it will all sink in like second nature, and you'll be glad.  As I am glad.  We are all so glad.

I look forward to playing with you.

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"I guess we have been a lot better lately! Congratulations, everyone.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."