Magick - Power and Place in Armageddon.

Started by LoD, July 05, 2006, 12:59:40 PM

QuoteNowhere have I claimed that people make rogue magickers so they can avoid interaction with the game.  I've implied that it happens, and someone has admitted to doing it.  In fact, I desire the opposite - for rogue magickers to have better things to do with their time than spend it huddled in a cave or concerned with the comings and goings of mundane travellers, hunters,  and loggers.

I hope you're not referring to me, because even tho I said that this is one of the only way current rogue magickers can hope to survive, I despise it and try as much to avoid it. But currently, there is no other way around if you wish to grow stronger. Hiding yourself from others and keeping your magick a secret is the definition of a rogue magicker. You can't blame rogue magickers for hiding from others if they are constantly hunted and killed on sight, and that's the way it should be, but don't blame us for hiding if we want to grow stronger and be able to protect ourselves.

Yes, while we do it it doesn't add anything to the game, but I like to think that this part of it is just a small percentage of the average rogue magicker rp.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I haven't played a Magicker, or played for a long time in the first place, but here's my two cents. I pretty much agree with Quirk - magickers ought to be feared, and your average person ought to make a fair effort to avoid them in their day-to-day lives. If there's no avoiding one, though, or they have the potential to be very useful to you, then by all means saunter on over and have a (nervous) word with them. As long as you're not shaking their hand, slapping them on the back, and offering to let them sleep with your daughter (or son, or innix), then you're probably acting within reason.

Quote from: "Intrepid"
Quote from: "Dre"While it sounds like a great idea AC and i find the concept of mage hunters totally cool....the fact is a commoner appoaching any magicker for help in anyway or wanting to do something with them with being forced to is ICly crazy and borderline twinkish, at least in my perception with current Imm guildlines.

This is exactly what I'm talking about in regards to players going so far overboard on how the documentation is perceived that all attempts at perspective have been lost.

They're tolerated in Allanak.  If you have an elementalist problem and can't wrap your mind around the idea of fighting fire with fire, then the problem must not be severe enough yet.  Elementalists are low in society, but they're not at the bottom and they're not illegal.  They're still in society.  They're still tolerated.  Tolerated, guys.  This is a word that has been used on every rpmud and yet the majority of players never seems to understand what it means to tolerate someone.

Has it ever occurred to any of you that these classes are not in game to play as a seperate group but to add intrigue to the already existing story?  How do you do that if you can't even wrap your minds around these people being in the same room without you thinking that addressing them is twinkish?

For some of you, this game is small.  For others, this game is shrinking.

I wouldn't go pointing fingers at the players..let me refer you to this:

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20606

While i am not saying your wrong esspecially in 'nak (i usually stick to Tuluk), if what you are saying is true i would have assumed there would have been an imm or two posting something along the lines of 'give your fellow elementalist a chance'. I've always thoughts its the 'Nak templars that tolerate the elementalists not the actual commoners who fear their powers.

Now if an imm comes in here and tells us that your passionate sounding post is completely right, then my next PC will be definately have to be in Nak.  :D

I do see some things said here that I very much agree with.

The thing that makes playing a gemmed mage rather boring is the lack of options. You -must- leave the Elementalist's Quarter to get a drink, purchase food (non-magick food), etc.. There isn't much in the way of places to socialize. I would like to see a tavern in their quarter in addition to some other things that might provide places of interest for them. I would like to see it possible for a gemmed mage to never have to leave the quarter (if they choose) and still be able to interact with other mages in a social setting. It would be interesting if there were some sort of "elementalist clan" made up of those of different elements.

More opportunity for jobs outside of the quarter. As others have said, your only options are -usually- working for House Oash or working for the templarate. I would like to see other clans put mages to use commonly in Allanak. It doesn't mean they have to be necessarily treated any differently (although, as some have said people go a bit to extremes which I find unrealistic as well) but use them as IMO, Allanaki should, as -tools-.

I wanted to add, that some have said or implied that all rogue mages are raiders, evil, etc. This just isn't true. I have yet to make a mage pc that was doing anything other than trying to survive. Those I played, who did even meet other magickers, none of the others appeared to be doing anything other than trying to survive as well. Also, I do mix it up. I play everything -and- I had the karma for mages for a while before I really did play them at all. I don't think changing the karma tree is right considering some people would basically be getting docked karma because -others- have no self control. How about just nailing the ones who are doing nothing but playing mage after mage? I think that's alot more fair to the rest of us.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

The only way one can centralize the population of magickers as gemmed elementalists in Allanak is to form some sort of "union" that would allow the playerbase of mages to be pulled together. A tavern, OOC board, and possible coded clan that acts on missions for the templarate or for its own interests would also spur growth amongst the gemmed population, I think.

Perhaps then gemmed mages would have something to look forward to besides Oash or the Guild.
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

As a rogue magicker who thinks he knows a fair portion of the rogue
magickers in the game world...

Quote from: "Xygax"a) I don't care whether the mage is gemmed or ungemmed.  They should have magick-y goals beyond just "branch 'assault snake'" (which is a good idea for a spell, isn't it??).

... I've started to notice that there are some sorts of things like that, but
it seems that those sorts of things do not come into play until later down
the line in the magickers' life, after they already have branched assault
snake (ps. make it branch for my guild, please =)).  They wouldn't even
know about it until later down the line, so in the meantime their only real
magick-y goals they got are to continue practicing and learn new magick.

Quote from: "Xygax"b) I'm not talking about IC employment, I'm talking about goals and tasks that act as catalysts for interaction with the world (whether that interaction be negative or positive, again I don't care -- but I am a big fan of friction)

That's true, and my character has gotten a hint that certain neato things
could occur or be sought out, but for a character that I may play, or
another may play, I or another might need to break role in order to
pursue them.  I'm being vague but only because I have to for IC
reasons. :)

Quote from: "Xygax"Right now, I think many mages spend their time engaged in seeking power for power's sake, without any long-term end goal in sight.  A long term end goal (or series of long-term goals) with both coded and RP'd "milestones" would benefit them and benefit the game by keeping them largely out of other players' hair (or actively IN other player's hair, but hopefully with more IC purpose than simply preying on them).

I totally agree about the power for power's sake, and the goal additions
thing, but with my character I've been trying to mix it up in a way where
the character's role will allow it. In general, my character has had a lot
of difficulties with doing it, though. Its still been fun, but, hasn't resulted
in much.

Quote from: "Xygax"That's a larger project though.  I think it would be interesting to flesh out some simpler systems that keep mages busy with things that non-mages either can't perceive or don't have access to.  There are already magick-y "things" all over the world, but in many respects those things don't actually DO much.  Giving magickers more natural enemies or parasites -- things they can struggle against beyond the realms mundane PCs have access to -- would be tremendously cool, I think.

Maybe while Halaster's been adding a few nifty things here and there to
magickers, making them more fearful (his words on here, not me
revealing anything), at the same time some things going the other way
would also be neat.

- Ktavialt

Just a little disturbed by one comment in your post Ktavialt.

There is never a reason to break role, seeking powerful things your character doesn't know about is an OOC want, not an IC need.

I promise that if you play long enough, and survive long enough the "very cool" things will come your way. I can attest to this through personal experience.

Don't go out of your way to get "stuff" or whatever, a watched pot doesn't boil if you know what I mean.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "Dan"Just a little disturbed by one comment in your post Ktavialt.

There is never a reason to break role, seeking powerful things your character doesn't know about is an OOC want, not an IC need.

Oh of course, I didn't mean to say that I have broke role, I am just saying
that in my limited view of what is out there, they are things my character
would not pursue, and several others that I know.

If I wrote it in a way that suggests I did break role, whoops.  I haven't. I've
always sticked to my char's role.

- Ktavialt