Change skill name: backstab --> assassinate

Started by Morrolan, June 23, 2006, 06:57:57 PM

It seems to me, with the code for backstab being too specific, that changing the name to something, and changing the code to reflect a whole host of options for the strike, might be something interesting to do.

There was some discussion of changing the archery skill to reflect location choices.  I don't know if this ever went in.  I think the same idea, applied to "backstab" would be a nice addition.  And for the ever-traditional, we could keep the default as a "backstab."

Ex:

> assassinate cloaked head
Stepping in, you stab directly at the tall, cloaked figure's eye.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I like this idea.

However, I think it would better to leave out the location (in your example, 'head) and emote that instead.

When I backstab a duskhorn, I'm not assassinating it.

That makes me laugh. Assassinate ritikki.

I'm not always using it to assassinate so no...

Using this thinking, we could change kill to assassinate.

assassinate lizard.
your mother is an elf.

Try to type assassinate in a moment of high adrenaline ;)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

ass tembo

The tembo is shorter than you.
The tembo is slightly older than you.
The tembo has ripped your nuts off before you realize that you can't abbreviate this stupid command.

Er, no.

I really prefer 'strike' or something.  Backstab is not only assassination.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Ideas:

Sneak Attack
Execute
Slay
Exterminate
Dispatch
Lynch
Murder
Ambush
Elfing
Elf Attack
Elf

-Ken

I liked how in 3rd edition D&D backstab got changed to sneak attack. It suggested that the attack was more to any available vitals than literally to the back.

For clarity of commands on Arm I'd call it vital strike, with "vital" being the actual command. It would be cool to see some different messages, like you stab them in the jugular, base of the skull, back, cut the ateries on their thighs, drive your dagger under their armpit into their lungs, etc.

The fact that I know these different techniques is purely coincidental, but I work for euros.  :twisted:
Amor Fati

This would encourage people to think that:
a) Only assassin class can be assassins (because only they can assassinate).
b) The only way to assassinate people is through the assassinate skill.

So no. But changing it to "vital strike" with vital as the command (or strike) would be good (as it gets rid of the idea that backstab is stabbing someone in the back).

I always alias backstab with 'gank'.

Just my personal favorite.  :lol:
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

Quote from: "William Shakespeare"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I have to disagree with you here, Willy.  Backstab means a certain thing which assassinate, vital strike, sneak attack or even gank will never equal for meaning.  Let me begin with what it does not mean. It does not mean a literal stab in the back. That's just silly. What it does mean is a critical blow, sometimes capable of delivering instant death, given to a vital organ.  This blow is prefaced by a sneaky approach, the surprise element being part of the key to being able to deliver a blow of enough force and accuracy to sometimes mete out death.  Unless you are a ninja dropping smoke bombs, the best way to surprise someone is usually sneaking up behind them and this is where the "back" part comes in.  Although the approach is usually from behind, the actual blow does not necessarily have to be to the back area.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Medena is correct.
Welcome all to curtain call
At the opera
Raging voices in my mind
Rise above the orchestra
Like a crescendo of gratitude

Alas poor Diku, I knew him, Horatio.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I'd have to say, I'd say the odds of this happening are pretty low. I mean, is it really so hard to look beyond the coded name of a skill? Even if you're ganking someone in the face...it's still a "backstab".

Your skills list is, essentially, an OOC tool to help you know and understand what your character is capable of, and/or what they've had at least a modicum of training in. I encourage people to look beyond the code and the skillslist. Just because it says 'kick', doesn't mean you aren't good at elbowing someone in the face. Just because it says 'sneak', doesn't mean you're tiptoeing around.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"I'd have to say, I'd say the odds of this happening are pretty low.
I stopped thinking that when we lost BANZAI!!!, but it's just evolution.  You have to let go, fuddy-duddy.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Tlaloc"Your skills list is, essentially, an OOC tool to help you know and understand what your character is capable of, and/or what they've had at least a modicum of training in. I encourage people to look beyond the code and the skillslist. Just because it says 'kick', doesn't mean you aren't good at elbowing someone in the face. Just because it says 'sneak', doesn't mean you're tiptoeing around.

I like this sort of conception of how skills should be used.  I always used kick to represent clipping someone with edge of a shield, given how it seemed awkward to kick with my character's hands full.

However, in the grander scheme of things, I can't always emote as I kick.  So it would help if the code would make things a little bit more vague.

Having never seen a backstab, I can't say if the message actually mentions a stab in the back.  If it does, it goes a good way to undermine any emote you might make to try and customize the action.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I personally found assasinate to be just as cumbersome a term as backstab.  Given how a backstab isn't currently 100% lethal, I'd just be happy with critical strike.

Perhaps make the message something like, "Me plunges ~weapon into %target."
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Fnord"I liked how in 3rd edition D&D backstab got changed to sneak attack. It suggested that the attack was more to any available vitals than literally to the back.

For clarity of commands on Arm I'd call it vital strike, with "vital" being the actual command. It would be cool to see some different messages, like you stab them in the jugular, base of the skull, back, cut the ateries on their thighs, drive your dagger under their armpit into their lungs, etc.

The fact that I know these different techniques is purely coincidental, but I work for euros.  :twisted:

We already have a vital strike skill. The leet magicker psion ninja class has them.... They are a 12 karma class so most of you haven't seen them.

Disclaimer: There is no magicker psion ninja class to my knowledge so I am not spounting ic knowledge. If there is one who do I talk to about an app?
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Quote from: "Sanvean"What about calling it something like "lethal strike"?

I'd be down with that, then the command word could just be "strike [target]"

To reply to Tlaloc:  Is that Imm policy that kick does not actually mean your character kicked out with their foot?  I had thought I saw another Imm say the exact opposite, that if it says you kicked then you kicked.  No kneeing, no elbowing, no nothing.  Which I of course disagree with but just wondering if there was consensus.

I'd say call it "Fred".  In the end it really doesn't matter what it is called as long as people understand what it is.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "Tlaloc"I'd have to say, I'd say the odds of this happening are pretty low. I mean, is it really so hard to look beyond the coded name of a skill? Even if you're ganking someone in the face...it's still a "backstab".
Right. But if a name of a skill name tends to encourage people to think of it in one particular manner and there's a name that conveys it's intention better, why not change it?

Quote from: "John"Right. But if a name of a skill name tends to encourage people to think of it in one particular manner and there's a name that conveys it's intention better, why not change it?

Because backstab is a generic term that people can easily look at and say "oh, okay, I know what that is and what it does". It's just not that big of a deal, and the first paragraph of the helpfile goes into detail that it's a critical strike. It's been fine for this long, why suddenly change it and jar the entire pbase?

I'd like to keep it the same, or at the very least keep the "backstab" command around, if only as an alias to the new command. And yes, I know you can set up your own aliases, but heh...

Backstab isn't at all confusing for the name of a skill. Like jcarter said, you hear "backstab" and think, oh, okay, it's going for the vitals. It's also going to be jarring to anyone currently playing an assassin or anyone else with the backstab skill, when they're in a frenzy and typing "back target" "backstab target" "backstab target" "backstab target" "OOC thought: Oh goddamnit." "usuallylethalstabatthevitalswithadagger target".  :P

Benefits of changing the name:

1) What the skill entails is clearer. This probably isn't really that much of a problem. If I'm confused, even remotely, about what a skill does, I do what any good boy does and read the helpfile.

2) The skill's name is "correct." This is granted - and of course, we'd like to get a little further from "stock Diku" as we're anything but.

Cons of changing the name:

1) Jarring change to the pbase. Players with assassins or who regularly play assassins might get confused at the wrong moment, and that could change the tide of a conflict.

2) Possibly confusing the playerbase even further. Lethal strike sounds like it will always be a one-hit kill if successful. Vital strike just doesn't sound like a potentially lethal hit - it sounds like a normal hit, except "aiming" for a vital area." These kinds of things can throw newbies off, although arguably, newbies shouldn't be backstabbing anyone if they don't understand skills/commands yet.

My vote: keep it how it is.

Quote from: "Tlaloc"I'd have to say, I'd say the odds of this happening are pretty low. I mean, is it really so hard to look beyond the coded name of a skill? Even if you're ganking someone in the face...it's still a "backstab".

Your skills list is, essentially, an OOC tool to help you know and understand what your character is capable of, and/or what they've had at least a modicum of training in. I encourage people to look beyond the code and the skillslist. Just because it says 'kick', doesn't mean you aren't good at elbowing someone in the face. Just because it says 'sneak', doesn't mean you're tiptoeing around.

I agree that we need to look beyond the code.

But then again, pal, we sort of need to stop pushing perceptions on people, too.

If I am using kick and it says that I kick someone, and then I emote elbowing him, there is a contradiction. It's much better for the code to tell the person that I struck or hit them. When it says something all-encompassing, such as that, I can accurately say how I hit them.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "SpyGuy"To reply to Tlaloc:  Is that Imm policy that kick does not actually mean your character kicked out with their foot?  I had thought I saw another Imm say the exact opposite, that if it says you kicked then you kicked.  No kneeing, no elbowing, no nothing.  Which I of course disagree with but just wondering if there was consensus.

I remember that thread, and would sort of like an Official Opinion on it. I like using elbows, headbutts, knees, and other things in emotes when I use kick, but if I'm drawing a frown from 'up there' every time I do it, I'd like to know.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...