Change skill name: backstab --> assassinate

Started by Morrolan, June 23, 2006, 06:57:57 PM

Quote from: "Sanvean"What about calling it something like "lethal strike"?

I still like vital strike over lethal strike, as starting backstabbers aren't exactly lethal. ;)
Amor Fati

QuoteIf I am using kick and it says that I kick someone, and then I emote elbowing him, there is a contradiction. It's much better for the code to tell the person that I struck or hit them. When it says something all-encompassing, such as that, I can accurately say how I hit them.

I agree with the echo thing, and 'kick' is probably a bad example. However, 'backstab' isn't that all encompasing.

I'm okay with change. I just don't think this is one of those things that desperatly needs to be changed, heh. The word 'backstab' to me is a metaphor for what the skill does. You aren't nessecarially backstabbing. But you might be. You could be side stabbing. Ultimately the name of at least this particular skill doesn't really matter so long as people understand what it is, and what it does.

Getting farther away from 'stock diku' is not, in my opinion, a great reason to change it. In fact, I would argue that most newbies would know what the 'backstab' skill does, without ever having to read the helpfiles. I would agrue that keeping the skill name as-is, is far more newbie friendly than making it some strange, vague skill which people must reference in order to even know what it's for.

Additionally, 'backstab' maintains a much easier and more concise command system than any other idea I've heard (except perhaps 'assassinate' - however, even then you'd get problem when you 'ass templar' and learn how tall they are compared to you). As Only He Stands There posted: 'backstab templar' is much more friendly interface than 'vital strike templar' - though I imagine whatever new command got chosen might be shortened to something easier.

I remember that thread, and would sort of like an Official Opinion on it. I like using elbows, headbutts, knees, and other things in emotes when I use kick, but if I'm drawing a frown from 'up there' every time I do it, I'd like to know.

Actually, I would say that if the code says you kick, you kick. Thus, no elbowing kicks (yet). My original point was more aimed towards trying to illustrate that, with some skill (though admittedly, not many), the name of the skill isn't 100% exactly what you're 'doing'. It's a simplified metaphor, which is easily recognizable, and easy to 'use' when you enter commands.

When you 'subdue' someone, you aren't nessecarially walking up, and giving them a big bear hug, pinning their arms to their sides. You might be twisting their arms behind their back, doing a kung-fu wrist lock, or whatever.

I (personally) feel that 'backstab' is actually a generic enough name for the skill to be such a metaphor, but not too generic, so that people log in and go: "Critial Strike? What is that, and how does it work?"
Tlaloc
Legend

I'd be all for a change of name as long as we kept the general idea of what it is.

A backstab is used by rogues because it's a vital's shot, and a nasty one at that.
Although "sneak attack" is partially right, a sneak attack doesn't need to be lethal.
"Lethal strike" is a good idea that describes the motion and can include stabs to the
back, in between the ribs, puncturing of the lung(s) and/or liver, heart shot, etc.

If it really is just a manuver meant to hit between the sixth and seventh vertebrae
that paralyzes and kills instantly, then backstab is appropriate, however.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Backstab is fine. Assassinate is a horrible change, and "vital" or "lethal" strike isn't much better.

One interesting change would be to overhaul the entire system. Instead of backstab, assassins could get a sneak attack when attacking from hiding based on skill one has with the weapon...then again, maybe that wouldn't be the same. Asassins would then be able to practice their sneak attack by simply sparring in the Byn or something.

When I first started looking at the combat documents I was confused. I saw piercing weapons, a piercing skill, and a backstab skill. First, I thought they were the same thing. Then I thought they were the same, except backstab aimed for the back. Finally I figured it out. I imagine most new players will have some confusion about this. What if you just made a new command called akill? akill would be the same as "backstab" is now, if you're holding a stabbing weapon. it would be the same as "kick" is now, if you're unarmed. The "a" in "akill" would stand for "aimed" as in "aimed attack." Would that cover all bases?

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Tlaloc, we need elbow 'kicks.'
A foreign presence contacts your mind.