Attributes

Started by Sanvean, June 14, 2006, 12:53:00 PM

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19678

Let's see a little love for the man who finally put in an idea we've been discussing for (literally) years and which people have requested over and over and over again. ;)

I really really do not expect something like that to be changed. Maybe I am getting old and begin to dislike changes, but this seems to be very big one.

Even I complain about my stats not matching my PC's descs time to time, I am not sure how this will affect gameplay.

All warriors with high strenght, all magickers with high wisdom.. I know that's what it is on all most all RPG games, but.. I am not sure I will like it on ARM.

I wonder how staff decide to change it after years of discussion.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Well done :!:   For my own selfish, you-changed-my-sdesc-at-*precisely*-the-right-moment reasons, you've been my coding hero for some time.  But this will have a powerful, positive, and long-ranging impact on our shared world.

Thanks!!!

*hugs*
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

<3 for Morgenes

I have faith it was well thought out and will be a useful addition, though I was against it at the start.  The rolls are weighted after they're ordered, so concerns of abusing it to minimize racial disadvantages should be moot.

I am, however, not intending to try it out for a long while yet!

It was decided to trust the players to create believable and varied characters.  Our hope is that players will look at this as an opportunity to build the character they want and have it supported codedly in game.  I hope to see quirky players, from the high endurance, low strength fighter, to the high wisdom, low agility thief.  They all have their place in Armageddon, we're giving you the control to guide your character towards the path you planned.

This has been a continual evolution in the players showing us that you are ready to be trusted with code changes that can be abused (object drop descriptions, scribble, advanced emotes, command emotes, hemotes, semotes to name a few).  We feel it is more important that you guys can build the character you want than to worry if it'll be abused.  And again, as we've said many times before, in the long run, your attributes won't matter.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Thanks :) That'll be great.. That's what I've been bitching about the most for years.. Now I'll have to find something else, hrm..
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'm definitely going to make the low agility high wisdom thief.

I wish I could apply the switch to my current character.  Hah!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

this is good for one-case:
the poisoned weapons will become the new kings of world, since probably no one will invest on endurance.

you rock Morgenes  8)

to others:

Make a person not a player

With great powers there comes a great responsebillity (Spiderman)  8)
rmageddon is the true teachings about the art of dying

Quote from: "najdorf"this is good for one-case:
the poisoned weapons will become the new kings of world, since probably no one will invest on endurance.

Then you sure as hell underestimate endurance. It saves your life... besides, no-one chooses stats based on their OOC benefits, but too create your character in the way you want to create him.

that is what it must be, Ritley.
But after a year of time, the statistics will tell that stats are %90 chosen in the declinin order from wisdom to endurance.

Quote from: "Ritley"No-one chooses stats based on their OOC benefits.

rofl

If you say so friend.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"

rofl

If you say so friend.
those who do..... will be killed quick and silently  :twisted:

:P
rmageddon is the true teachings about the art of dying

I think stat ordering should be available once an account reaches 1 karma. That would reduce the number of people creating UBER strong DWARFS OF DOOM: OBJECTIVE: DeATH!!!!
your mother is an elf.

Yah.. Where is the world heading to when dwarves are strong and sturdy?  :roll:
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Woohoo! High agility pansy warrior, here I come!

...well, sometime. I dont have the time to play anyway.  :(

Thanks Morg.  Don't listen to the naysayers, neither system is perfect.  But this is all for the better.

Kudos Morg, but we are not FORCED to use the new stat system are we?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

No, we can choose to opt out in chargen, Krath.

Quote from: "Delirium"No, we can choose to opt out in chargen, Krath.

Cool  :twisted:
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: "Gaare"All warriors with high strenght, all magickers with high wisdom.. I know that's what it is on all most all RPG games, but.. I am not sure I will like it on ARM.

Actually, it's an interesting change in the reverse sense. If you want to play that really stupid half-giant, put wisdom at the bottom of the list, for instance.

I can't see using this change much. Maybe some character concept will call for it. If I'm creating a really tall, beefy human male, I'd more or less expect him to have higher than average strength regardless of his guild and maybe choose for that.

Weird old me will most likely be playing the agile shadies, strong warriors, tough  rangers, and - you guessed it, the wise magickers.  :P

That is awesome, we can choose random or to put them in order.  Awesome!  Can someone share the syntax of this?

Morgenes-
My socks have been literally rocked off.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "Gaare"All warriors with high strenght, all magickers with high wisdom..

Take heart.  Some of us have NO idea what class should have high <insert appropriate attribute here>.  I for one never really counted attributes for anything but -coded- progress, it didn't stop my warriors from getting cocky just because they had been alive and fighting for a year. My half-giant with the absolutely incredible wisdom was still reeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllly stupid (just an example).
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.