Easy to Use, Free Mud Clients

Started by jmordetsky, May 15, 2006, 05:34:21 PM

What are some very, very simple to use, free, good for arm mud clients.

When I say simple to use, it to be COMPLETELY simple. Like, your grandmother who has never seen a computer would think it was fairly intuitive.

I use Zmud, but it's not free. I'm essentially looking for something that has the abolute least barrier to entry for a player who is foreign to muds.

Thoughts?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

GMUD
PUEBLO
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

the java client on the webpage.

I think wyrmnet is pretty simple, and I have a detailed walkthrough.

But yea, pueblo is the simplest I've seen.

GMud - its very simple and reliable. Aliases, macros, triggers and logging is pretty much all it does and I've never had a problem with it in 6 years.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

I've been quite pleased with SimpleMU.

It's very easy to use, and it has a lot of capability.  You can get out of it the effort that you put in to it... so if you just want a basic netrunning program, SimpleMU is for you.  If you want something with customizable triggers and sound effects that are pretty easy to navigate and manipulate, then SimpleMU is still for you.

If you want something free, then SimpleMU is for you, and you can decide to pay them whenever in order to get even more features and expandability (over 10 event triggers, for instance)
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

In my Experience, Gmud is fun and I am addicted to it. I tried mushclient and it is equally as good, but not as good as Gmud in its simplicity.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

With a few simple alterations..

Alclient

It has almost everything(excellent logging, automap, highlights, alias, ...), but spell check.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Gmud is the simplest client I've ever used.

Right now I use MUSHclient because it has a lot more features that I feel are very helpful.  But to the new user GMud is about as simple as it gets, and it's 100% free.

Gmud is my client of choice.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I use SimpleMU, but I'd strongly recommend GMud as being by far the easiest to get used to for MUD/computer/technology newbies.

FireClient's good for someone unfamiliar to MUDs.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Gmud, it's the first client I came across and I've given several others a try. It's easy to use and it doesn't have a bunch of extras that I won't use anyway. Oh yeah...and free.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

gMUDix by Marko Boomstra from Holland.
Available in Windows binaries and source code for anyone with Open Source libraries and a compiler.
Extremely intuitive, easy to program, powerful and free.

I second SimpleMU, and Cantrip for Mac OS X.

tintin++ compiled to run on OS X.
Amor Fati

Uh, I really like Portal.  It's basically a ZMud clone, and totally free.

I used Gmud for most of the first few years that I played MUDs..just recently I broke down and bought Zmud..I'm mostly ignorant about it's features and such.  Attempted to us the automapping ability it has, and found that it worked like crap for my needs...so yeah, get Gmud.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: "Fnord"tintin++ compiled to run on OS X.

LIAR.

edit concerning below post:

CHEATER.

I use a zMUD 4.62. I set my clock forward about 50 years before I installed it, so I'm on day negative 3753 or whatever of my free trial.

Good times.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Portal
You just got to watch out because it will crash on you like once every couple of months.  The system will give you warning when it is getting around the two month mark, though.  Other than that, portal is great.  It's simple, yet has a lot of features.
//www.gameaxle.com
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"I use a zMUD 4.62. I set my clock forward about 50 years before I installed it, so I'm on day negative 3753 or whatever of my free trial.

Good times.

Do you mean 3.62?  That's the free one according to the zmud website.  The zmud guy is a pretty cool dude so if you're really using 4.62 without paying for it and bypassing nag screens via some sort of install exploit I wish you wouldn't post how to do it.

There are plenty of good free mudclients out there I don't know why someone wouldn't just use one of those.

I can't believe that noone's mentioned MushClient yet.  I'll even throw in a trigger package to highlights useful things (talk/whisper/shout from other rooms/psi message) for those that would like it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I payed for my zMud yeaaaaaaarrrrs ago and I think it's the best $25 I spent in all my mudding life.  

I also love the client they have on the web browser. Love love LOVE it!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.