Stamina Drain on Hit and Kill command?

Started by mansa, April 29, 2006, 09:56:39 PM

Stamina Drain on Hit and Kill command?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Not unless each attack during combat drains stamina as well. It wouldn't make any sense for the first attack to drain stamina and none of the others to do so as well.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

unless you consider it "engaging" the enemy.

This gives an advantage to the one fleeing. I object on those grounds.

Quote from: "jhunter"Not unless each attack during combat drains stamina as well. It wouldn't make any sense for the first attack to drain stamina and none of the others to do so as well.

Why does sap or backstab give stamina drain, then?  I think there should be some stamina drain on the hill or kit commands.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"
Quote from: "jhunter"Not unless each attack during combat drains stamina as well. It wouldn't make any sense for the first attack to drain stamina and none of the others to do so as well.

Why does sap or backstab give stamina drain, then?  I think there should be some stamina drain on the hill or kit commands.

Likely because of the process of sneaking up to someone undetected long enough to get that first hit off. Different from running up and attacking directly.

Quote from: "mansa"Stamina Drain on Hit and Kill command?

Do you really think it should go in or are you just playing devil's advocate?

I really think it should go in.  It should happen with the assist command, too.

I wouldn't mind it myself and I'm currently playing a Warrior.

I think all physical attempts of some kind should have stamina drains.  The
exceptions would be passive sensory attempts or social attempts, such as
Value, Haggle, Scan and Listen.  These more wear down the mind than
the body.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Stamina drain on emote command?
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Stamina drain on emote command?

You do understand that there -is- a stamina drain introduced for the backstab skill, and for the sap skill.

Both those skills also have a longer wait period than the kill command.

Why should it not also be implemented on the kill command?

Quote from: "mansa"
Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Stamina drain on emote command?

You do understand that there -is- a stamina drain introduced for the backstab skill, and for the sap skill.

Both those skills also have a longer wait period than the kill command.

Why should it not also be implemented on the kill command?

Why should it be? The only reasons you have given is pointing out that other commands have it.

Quote from: "mansa"Why should it not also be implemented on the kill command?
Because I'm starting to grow weary of the trend for a code change that is really only going to affect a desert elf.
Back from a long retirement

Bad idea. :)

I've seen enough well-roleplayed fatigue in combat to say stamina-draining would be pointless -- just adding in something to annoy us with. Hehe.

Backstab and sap require you to spend energy being sneaky, and then a sudden use of energy trying to take someone out in ONE blow.

I'm not really a big fan of any of this new stamina drain business. No, I don't play mostly warriors, and I don't spam kick/bash/german_suplex commands. I mostly feel it is unnecessary.
If we were shooting for realism, everyone would get a small stamina drain during combat, rather than at set intervels when using skills that are mostly just a part of fighting, but represented by coded skills. I really don't feel the act of swatting someone's sword takes more effort than swatting their head.
But I only say that as an aside. The main thing for me is that it never felt broken in the first place. Maybe I didn't play with the right (or wrong, if you will) people. Maybe I'm too impatient to want the game to get to the point where I'm going to spend more time resting than actively doing things. I know that's being overly dramatic, but it's a fear of mine.

I don't really see a reason to add a drain onto kill, but I didn't see a reason to add it to any of the other commands, either, so take that as you will. In the end, I suppose I'll survive either way. :)
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I am against the idea of putting stamina drain on hit/kill.  Well, there is a stamina drain on sap/backstab or kick/disarm/bash.  So I would like to have a stamina drain proof way, an ordinary way to engage in combat, and hit/kill would stand for that.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Vesperas"
Backstab and sap require you to spend energy being sneaky, and then a sudden use of energy trying to take someone out in ONE blow.

The logic that I see for backstab and sap to use stamina is that the person moves across the room (or rather, some distance) to strike at the target during the _lag time_ of the command.  So a stamina loss is on top of an already existing coded wait time for these commands.

With kill / hit this exact same logic can be applied.  Therefore, I don't see why not.

Many people when they kill / hit someone do a small charging emote or a leaping forward emote or something along those lines.  Therefore, doesn't it make the same sense?

Arguably the stamina loss would be less than that of sap or backstab but I can still see it being some like half the stamina-loss value of the room the PC is currently in to reflect upon that charge / sudden attack at the victim.

Quote from: "Marko"Many people when they kill / hit someone do a small charging emote or a leaping forward emote or something along those lines. Therefore, doesn't it make the same sense?

And people are -not- just standing in one place during a fight swinging at each other. They are moving around, dodging parrying, and all sorts of stuff that is physically tiring. Therefore, if hit/kill is to have stamina drain, so should -all- attacks, dodges, parries...etc...

And...warriors -should- experience -less- of this than non-warriors.

Amen, Jhunter.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

And if all that has stamina drain (dodge, parry, etc), all the drain on disarm, bash, kick, and so on would have to go up to compensate and actually still be harder than a normal slash.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I agree with jhunter.
I would much like to see each round of combat drain 1 point of stamina from each combatant for the movement involved, with warriors (or any d-elf) only losing 1 stamina per two rounds as they would be best trained at conserving their energy and going through long fights.
Stamina drain will stop completely when the attacker reaches 15 stamina points, but they will fight with a penalty to their combat skills.  That would help those of us who want to tire out a stronger opponent in order to kill him.

This would primarily hinder rangers, but so far most people seem to portray fighting as something that's hardly tiring at all and this could be a good way to portray that.  It's a surefire way to stop day-long sparring sessions and possibly make over-hunting more difficult.

I'd also like to see Bash do some movement damage to the opponent if they're hit badly - not more than 5 or so.

So in summary:
Non-warriors or non-desert elves lose 1 Movement per round of combat involving them (even if they're just being attacked).
Warriors or desert elves lose 1 Movement every 2 rounds of combat.
Being knocked down by Bash will cause light Movement damage.

Movement drainage by combat (or bash) will be stop when the character reaches 12% or so of their maximal movement, at which point they'll take penalties to their combat abilities.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"So in summary:
Non-warriors or non-desert elves lose 1 Movement per round of combat involving them (even if they're just being attacked).

Movement drainage by combat (or bash) will be stop when the character reaches 12% or so of their maximal movement, at which point they'll take penalties to their combat abilities.

I completely agree with Larrath's suggestion above. Also, a minor reduction on the max amount of stam loss from kick, disarm, bash....etc...the ones used -during- melee. Make those...2-4 pts per use.

Quote from: "Larrath"I agree with jhunter.
I would much like to see each round of combat drain 1 point of stamina from each combatant for the movement involved, with warriors (or any d-elf) only losing 1 stamina per two rounds as they would be best trained at conserving their energy and going through long fights.
Stamina drain will stop completely when the attacker reaches 15 stamina points, but they will fight with a penalty to their combat skills.  That would help those of us who want to tire out a stronger opponent in order to kill him.

This would primarily hinder rangers, but so far most people seem to portray fighting as something that's hardly tiring at all and this could be a good way to portray that.  It's a surefire way to stop day-long sparring sessions and possibly make over-hunting more difficult.

I'd also like to see Bash do some movement damage to the opponent if they're hit badly - not more than 5 or so.

So in summary:

OMG YES!!!
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"And if all that has stamina drain (dodge, parry, etc), all the drain on disarm, bash, kick, and so on would have to go up to compensate and actually still be harder than a normal slash.

Nope. Not really. If you lost a point per attack, it would even things out. If a warrior lost 1 point per round instead of attack, or 1 point per two attacks, it would still be evened out, and warriors would have the upper hand, as they should.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Now, we've moved into discussion about stamina drain DURING combat, which isn't what I was talking about at the start of the thread.

We can move on to it now.  I'm okay with that.

I think that stamina drain shouldn't be on the ticks or rounds of combat, but rather after a certain ammount of time.  Every 60 ticks of combat should lower stamina a little bit.

Or, perhaps, after 10 minutes of combat, stamina just starts to drop.

Of course the warriors would last longer in combat.  Imagine a ranger dropping to near 0 stamina after fighting a warrior for a half-hour, and then just stop moving because he's pooped.

Because every game tick is nearly a second.  Imagine losing 60 stamina in one minute.

It would be better if it was based on skill and the endurance stat - you lose stamina more slowly if you're well-trained.

I can see endurance being even more useful in the future if we had this change, which I think would be a good thing. It's usually considered the worst stat - some may argue with me, but I'm pretty sure it's the least helpful in combat right now.