Idea for 'Scribble'

Started by IAmJacksOpinion, April 19, 2006, 07:02:50 PM

I remember when I was younger (maybe 4 or so) my family took a trip up to Lake Superior (where Wisconsinites go for fun, and great fishing!) While we were on the beach he found a flat slate of stone and used the screwdriver bit on his pocket knife to scrape my name into it. Not as hard as it may sound. With that particular stone, the dark grey scraped away and became a white-as-snow line where he drug the knife.

Enough reminiscing. My idea is this: scrawl on stone. It came to me originally when I was in a cave and decided to leave my mark. I whipped out my trusty knife and looked up the scribble code so that I could remember how it was done, and emoted placing the tip of my knife to the ground, applying pressure, and draaaaging it.... then, as I tried the actual syntax, I was sad to discover it didn't work in caves. :(

So, perhaps that same code that says you need chalk to write in certain areas, could also say you can use knives as well? Or bladed weapons in general?

It could be a very useful tool. For anyone who enjoys delving in caves as much as I do, you could  make marks every so often as not to not loose your way.  Ideas?  Thoughts?
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I havn't seen any weapons that are sharp, harder than stone. However, I have seen mudbrick IG. So I wouldn't like a knife to be able to write on any kind of stone. Just some.

Now, I would like to beable to forage some blood from an animal and scribble with that.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Nah. It's not so much that it's penetrating the stone, as it is that it's scraping it. Next time you see a fairly flat rock, scrape it with some gravel and I GUARENTEE you'll see the white lines produced that I'm talking about. Mind you, they're not permanent and would fade after the weather of a few days, which would work just fine considering scribblings fade anyhow already.

Foraging blood to use would have to be done pretty cleverly, but it would be awesome. If that is ever implimented, hell with the consequences, I'm killing a man and writing "REDRUM" on the wall with his blood.  :twisted:
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Oop, nother idea. Kinda a compromise, really.

Like Maybe said, weapons aren't too strong. Chitin, bone, or wood wouldn't do the trick against stone, but I know stone would do the trick. And, perhaps, have a chance of breaking, chipping, or dulling the blade in the process?

I dunno. I know this idea probably doesn't excite many of you, but wouldn't it be cool if your magicker could etch a bad-ass spell circle in the floor of a stone setting, for example?

Armageddon.org

I love scribble. Oh do I love scribble. Thank you staff, I know when it was first brought up people were worried about abuse. I don't know if there was any abuse, but I so much love this often forgotten and underused command.

Love it.

Now, if memory serves me, in reply to the original poster, it seems as though there was something imped for the cities as well, not just the sandy wastes. It seems like this was chalk or paint of some sort and people were psyched about leaving gang symbols and whatnot.

I guess that should work for caves too. Maybe if you try it and it doesnt, you could idea it ingame. Or, you could write up a kind of rock native to zalanthas which was foragable and acted like chalk. I would like to help you. We can also study some minerals and find out what it would be composed of and what colors it might come in. PM me or MSN me (the later is preferable) and we can maybe hammer something out.

Rad. Writing with blood would be wickedly cool. I would like to be able to write symbols on corpses with their own blood, but I guess you could just use the object drop desc?

Quote from: "path"...I guess that should work for caves too. Maybe if you try it and it doesnt, you could idea it ingame. Or, you could write up a kind of rock native to zalanthas which was foragable and acted like chalk...

Or perhaps..  -is- chalk.

/me pets path.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

QuoteThis command allows you to scribble a drawing. In desert areas, you can do so in the sand with your finger; in cities a lump of chalk will prove necessary. You must be holding the chalk.

Question is, where the fuck do you find chalk? I've seen it once in my years here.

Yar. Let chalk be foragable, says I.

Quote from: "path"Yar. Let chalk be foragable, says I.

Chalk has been foragable for a long time.  You just have to find the right location.

I've gone ahead and updated scribble to allow scratching into certain areas with an appropriate weapon and tool.  This will last longer than just the standard scribble in the sand and chalk drawings.  The hardness of the material of the tool will have an effect on the duration of the scribble.

I've also increased the duration of chalk drawings compared to drawing in the sand with your finger.

Yes, I've heard the call for drawing with blood, but due to a lack of ways to obtain blood, I'm holding off on this for now.

EDIT: edited to match announcement post.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Holy fuck that was fast..   :shock:
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Here's another good way to get blood...

Allow people to scribble in blood if they are in terrible condition, or worse?

hahahah. that's great.

You see scribbled intricately in blood near the body: the face of the green-eyed, tall dusky man.

or maybe that's not great?

I think it should just wait for the damage type system to come online.

Quote from: "Agent_137"I think it should just wait for the damage type system to come online.
You see carved on stone near the body: the face of the green-eyed, tall dusky man ;)

Scribble is abusable, but I think most of us who use it, have yet to abuse it.

Quote from: "John"
You see carved on stone in blood near the body: t e  ac  of the   ee -eye ,  all d    man ;)

I fixed your scribble John. It has been a windy hour.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime