The shadow attacks you while you mount your kank!

Started by Maybe42or54, April 14, 2006, 03:02:35 PM

I've always thought it was a little weird that you are attacked when you pick up a weapon, but you aren't attacked when you mount a kank. You have to take your eyes off of your attacker(s), grab the reigns, and thenget to moving.

How can you not be attacked during all of that?

I have had many people fight me, then mount and flee without me getting another attack.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Yep, I think you should get some sort of negative towards that. Because, it is to easy to just mount up and then ride off. I know you get a bad negative while fighting when you try to pick up a weapon...And that negative can mean the end of your life real quick too.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

You could always roleplay some sort of disadvantage, instead of taking advantage of the code and being a twink and pulling a

mount
flee...

You could.. throw in a few emotes and wait a second or two while you mount...

emote turns for his mount in a fit of panic, scrambling for his reigns and pulling himself up, all the while leaving his back open to attack...
your mother is an elf.

Would you guys prefer that mounting not be allowed while you're fighting someone, or you get a free hit?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"Would you guys prefer that mounting not be allowed while you're fighting someone, or you get a free hit?

Free hit, just like in combat when the person tries to pick up a weapon.

Editted to add: Because then you'll have people attacking just to make you flee and steal your mount. Guaranteed mount stealing.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

I would prefer a Riding skill check to permit it, first.  

THEN if the fleer is skilled enough to leap upon his beast in the middle of combat, a free hit from the assailant.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Free hit. No mounting at all is unrealistic and will cause issues. The major one I can think of is this:

think OOCly If I attack them they won't be able to remount to flee. And if I surprise them and they flee...

kill dude

dude flees

hitch kank

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w

Perfect mount stealing.

Edit: And there is -already- a ride skill check to see if you can mount during combat.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Does it check the attackers offensive abilities?

I would prefer a free hit and stiffer penalties as the attacker is better.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Sure, let there be a free hit.

But also give people with high ride % the ability to negate that hit.  After all, mounting during combat is part of the ride skill, and so they should be able to do it without getting smoked automatically.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I agree to that, I've seen videos of things IRL where A guy will dismount, fight you for a little while, spank his horse and run with it a little ways before mounting it. With sword in hand.

Mounted combat sucks enough as is last I checked, and since it's so not worth fighting mounted (unless the code has changed since my ranger which was recent)

Then I think what it should do is give you a penalty or be impossible to mount in combat UNLESS you are a ranger or have a high enough ride or charge.. or something calvarly related.

Free hit. I love rangers, and absolutely do not want to disadvantage them. But for goodness sake, if you get hit for free while picking up something, seriously, you should get hit while mounting.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Uhm...I actually don't think...this is that big a deal.

I think someone's just frustrated someone got away.

This free hit hasn't been in forever, and I really have never noticed a problem with it.  If you haven't bashed your target, subdued them, or in some way prevented them from reaching that mount, I see nothing stopping them from staying just out of reach long enough to get mounted and get sent off.

Rooms are big.  You can attack people instantly.  Just because you attacked them instantly, they're now automatically 'always in range'.  Sad but true.  Attack the mount.  Do things.

I don't like 'free hits'.  I think in some cases they're good, but in most cases...combat is more than rough enough.  Let's not make more advantages for the people who train combat.  They have advantages enough.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I assume "free hit" actually means "free attack" right?

For those with training, it's a free hit.

From what I've seen...'free attacks' even have an increased chance to connect?  I can't verify for sure, but it seems that way.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Yeah, but I'm not sure an actual automatic hit is a good idea in any circumstance.

Well by definition: Free: No cost of any kind.  Hit: Two objects coming together.

Therefore by definition if it's a free hit it means you can't miss.

My point is, I'd much rather see people use what they're given to prevent escape rather than come to the board and say 'THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN' and have it actually work.

Warriors have subdue and bash, even if everyone decides bash is useless and refuses to use it (and thus never sees it for its uses).  Use them.  Have -friends-.  Use guard to try to keep the mount from leaving.  If they turn and go another way, hey...a mount is faster than you are, it got away.

Point is...I haven't had people escape from me like this too often.  If you notice, 'fleeing' also leaves your mount behind.  And if they mount up to try to flee with it...there is, already, the probability of them getting attacked while mounted and utterly -smashed-.

Hrmm... "free hit" was not the right term.  A bonus attack, similar to the one when retrieving a weapon in combat, was what I was supporting.

If there is already a realistic Ride skill check for the flee-r to attempt mounting up, maybe a small realistic delay while he gets a handle on the reins if he succeeds would work just as well.

The issue, I think, is the speed with which a PC can <mount; flee self>, often before a single tick of combat occurs for his opponent.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I don't agree.
Its not like the mount is in the middle of battle with you, unlike a dropped weapon.

The mount is back aways, so, consider it like running away 10 feet or so then mounting and running.

Against Free hit or anything, I think it is fine.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Or connect it do the flee skill. As some people mentioned, you usually don't have your mount close to you in a fight. Most people who are out there with a mount knows at least to scramble up on it, but it might be trickier to get there. And, there is already a penalty in place for when you fight mounted.

>flee mount
>You scramble towards a yellow kank and climb onto its back.

or

>You try to find an opening to reach your mount but fail.

I don't see, logically, how someonewould turn their back on the attacker, sprint to their kank, mount the giant bug, and get it moving before someone had a chance to hit them.
Then when you flee on a mount, they don't run, they continue to walk.
As it is now, I could run up and type "kill target." Then they can Get their mount from resting to standing, to them mounting the kank and then fleeing on the kank and get away before I can follow them.

I suppose all that time between blows in combat is them just standing around, eh?

I see it as you attack when you get the opportunity.  The space in between is maneuvering, and thus why 'kick' and 'bash' can be used at any time.  It's a maneuver.

I have no trouble imagining someone suddenly breaking away towards their mount, leaving someone the responsibility of catching up to them to get more swings.  As I said...the rooms are huge, yet you can attack instantly and make them right next your character.

It doesn't take much for an experienced rider to dash to their kank, mount (keep in mind kanks are -not- that tall, nor hard to get on from the looks of it), and get away.  An inexperienced rider trying such might have trouble getting the kank into motion fast enough to avoid those blows.

Isn't there already a ride check?  I may be delusional, but I'm sure that I've failed to mount while fighting a few times, particularily with newbie characters that weren't very good riders.  The message was something like "The grey kank moves away"?  It made sense, if some blood-soaked maniac I barely knew was waving a sword and trying to jump on my back I'd move away too.  Sure, I was able to mount after two or three tries, but that delay could have been enough for a skilled attacker to take me out, especially since after mounting I would be at a coded disadvantage until I actually managed to  leave the room.  Fleeing while riding also seems to be a little more difficult than fleeing on foot, so there may be another ride check or other penalty there too.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Well Armaddict, I think the code should take into account the fleeing persons parry, defense, riding skills, and the attackers offensive skills, etc, and then make bonuses and negatives apply. Instead of blanketing everyone as experienced riders.