The shadow attacks you while you mount your kank!

Started by Maybe42or54, April 14, 2006, 03:02:35 PM

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Isn't there already a ride check?  I may be delusional, but I'm sure that I've failed to mount while fighting a few times, particularily with newbie characters that weren't very good riders.  The message was something like "The grey kank moves away"?  It made sense, if some blood-soaked maniac I barely knew was waving a sword and trying to jump on my back I'd move away too.  Sure, I was able to mount after two or three tries, but that delay could have been enough for a skilled attacker to take me out, especially since after mounting I would be at a coded disadvantage until I actually managed to  leave the room.  Fleeing while riding also seems to be a little more difficult than fleeing on foot, so there may be another ride check or other penalty there too.

Angela Christine
This is the way the code works, as far as I know as well.  Of course, I've never actually died because of it (even in the case of 7 day ranger versus bahamet) so perhaps what you all want is to make the penalties harsher?
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Free hit. I love rangers, and absolutely do not want to disadvantage them. But for goodness sake, if you get hit for free while picking up something, seriously, you should get hit while mounting.

Rangers should be able to 'call' their beast over.

Like in the movies, where the loser calls (whistle) his horse, and the horse comes in to swoop the figher off his feet. Thus, we have our safe escape. ^_^

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

QuoteInstead of blanketing everyone as experienced riders.

It doesn't take that much experience to cause separation.  More skilled people in combat -do- already smack people around easier, if they try to mount, they are more easily smashed.

As noted, kanks are not that tall.  Nor are they hard to climb astride.  If you can make the kank move...as is shown through code already, they are faster than a man outside.  They're away.

I find it disconcerting that people want more and more free attacks for everything.

IF I GET YOU INTO COMBAT, YOU -MUST- FIGHT ME AND SUFFER FOR TRYING TO GET AWAY!  IF YOU GET AWAY, I MUST STILL HAVE SOMETHING TO GLOAT OVER BESIDES BEATING YOUR ASS!!!!!!!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I rarely find myself in agreement with Armaddict, but on this one, I concur.

The penalties surrounding mounted combat are plentiful and the consequences of failure harsh.  Further negative modifiers are completely unnecessary.

Also, certain fairly recent code changes make it very, very easy to raid in the wilderness nowadays, if you're good.  So if you fail...it's probably because you suck.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: "Armaddict"IF I GET YOU INTO COMBAT, YOU -MUST- FIGHT ME AND SUFFER FOR TRYING TO GET AWAY!  IF YOU GET AWAY, I MUST STILL HAVE SOMETHING TO GLOAT OVER BESIDES BEATING YOUR ASS!!!!!!!

Agreed.

A lot of people tend to get bent out of shape when _suped-up-one-day_ ranger escapes their grasps on a beast. Don't you guys ever get any fun out of chasing people down? It actually gives you something to do.

If the people keep mounting beast and spaming into directions, I can see that as a problem. Theres nothing wrong with giving those raiders a piece of that, instead of insta fleeing like a jozhal.

>drop pants

Would this bonus attack occur before or after the target has climbed onto his mount? Because if it happens after

1. There's a vastly increased chance of hitting, because they'll suddenly be mounted and your not.

2. Most Zalanthans don't practice mounted combat, so they're probably gonna get thrown off and end up at an even greater disadvantage anyway.

3. Flee isn't garaunteed success anyway, and if it fails you've probably got another combat round with all the problems of points 1 and 2.

There's also the fact that, as people pointed out, there's already a check to see if you can mount while in combat... Unless you're good at ride, it could take several attempts, which adds up to a lot of bonus attacks.

These are just a few thoughts that occur.

Yokunama, there is no fun in chasing someone down, since a kank walking can outrun a kank running most of the time, from what I have seen, with their small headstart. Since, again, you can type "kill target" and they can get their mount their kank, get it from resting to standing, and flee before the lag from your command wears off. When it does wear off, it is already too late, since they have a two-three room headstart on you.
These are giant ants. Giant ants without saddles. It should be easier to mount other animals during combat.

Another idea came to me. Since we have watch, how hard would it be to have watch follow the watched?

watch Target
Target flees west.
To the west, target walks north.
You go west.
To the North, Target walks east.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Grey Area"Would this bonus attack occur before or after the target has climbed onto his mount? Because if it happens after

You are attacked as you try to mount the kank.
The giant ass whatchadiller pierces at you, but misses.
The giant ass whatchadiller pierces at you, but misses.
You mount the resting grey kank.

As when you try to pick up a disarmed weapon, you can time it so you pick it up right after they attack. So there could be a chance you get a lucky break and never get touched before mounting and wlaking your kank away.

QuoteThere's also the fact that, as people pointed out, there's already a check to see if you can mount while in combat... Unless you're good at ride, it could take several attempts, which adds up to a lot of bonus attacks.

I have had a few characters that were involved in combat a lot, but I have never seen this. Do other people see when you fail trying to mount?
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

The more I've thought about it, I don't think any change is necessary.

There's a ride check to get on the bug, a ride check to stay on it if another attack goes against you before you can even attempt to flee, and then, a sometimes difficult flee attempt while mounted.

It's fine like it is.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "MaybeNumbers"I have had a few characters that were involved in combat a lot, but I have never seen this. Do other people see when you fail trying to mount?

If you haven't seen it at all then you're lucky. I've had several pcs lose their mounts because they couldn't get on top of them or stay on top of them during combat. It was either keep trying and die...or flee, lose the mount and live.

Pretty sure it does. I remember practicing mounted combat in some clans and I think I recall seeing others fail at trying to mount back up.

Yea it happens - it gives you a message that your mount moves away when you try to mount it.
It hardly happens with a skilled ranger anymore though, maybe that's why  you've never seen it.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

I've only played a ranger once. They lived a whole 4 hours.

I agree with the -given attack-  similar to picking up a weapon.  Those don't always land anyway.  And it makes sense, even as much as I love fleeing twink like through the wastes.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I guess, 'mount' should have a delay.. Not only in combat.. always.
Make tent/roll tent should have a lag. Not for battle purposes, it.. just does not seem right..
When you do not have a lag, you often forget it's a time consuming task and must be emoted when there's time.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Unless you're a complete clutz it takes no time at all to mount an animal. I ride in RL. I can get on the back of a horse in the blink of an eye.

Quote from: "jhunter"Unless you're a complete clutz it takes no time at all to mount an animal. I ride in RL. I can get on the back of a horse in the blink of an eye.

Yeah but in all my times fighting with friends, using nerf weapons, padded swords, or even hands, I'm ALWAYS looking for that fraction of a second when my opponent looks away to attack.  That's all it takes a glance.  

More than enough time for a free swing.

About delay in mounting there ARE skills in arm that the better you get at them the shorter the delay.  So!  Why not just make ride work that way with mounting?

QuoteAbout delay in mounting there ARE skills in arm that the better you get at them the shorter the delay. So! Why not just make ride work that way with mounting?

Because the more I thought about it, the more I realized there are plenty of things against the person trying to mount during combat. Not to mention if they fail to flee on the first attempt you get attacks off against them mounted (with mounted penalties) anyway.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Since, again, you can type "kill target" and they can get their mount their kank, get it from resting to standing, and flee before the lag from your command wears off.

Quote from: "jhunter"Because the more I thought about it, the more I realized there are plenty of things against the person trying to mount during combat. Not to mention if they fail to flee on the first attempt you get attacks off against them mounted (with mounted penalties) anyway.

There is more to raiding than entering the room, typing 'kill target', and chasing the victim several rooms. Try to play smart, work in groups, and find creative ways to keep people from hoping on their beast, and your kill count and spoils will start adding up, if done correctly.

>drop pants

Yeah.  If done correctly.

So why...are free attacks...needed?

That just makes it -easier- to be a raider, just a raider, not a smart one, and actually excel at it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'd love to see some people 'demand' the goods of others, before they begin their assult. It might help decrease some insta-fleeing, and create more roleplaying between the victim and the raider.

>drop pants

I haven't read more then the original post in this thread, so I may be kicking a dead kank but.. I think it's a horrible, horrible idea for anyone to get a free hit when you try and mount. For one.. non rangers/helfs will have a hard time mounting anyway. I think that you should just play smarter. Someone keeps mounting their kank and fleeing? Attack the kank. Guard an exit. Whatever. Play smarter. A mount in combat cannot flee to my knowledge, or if they can, it's very difficult. I give this idea two thumbs down. Sorry.

Quote from: "Morgenes"Would you guys prefer that mounting not be allowed while you're fighting someone, or you get a free hit?

Free hit, I like this idea.  If you want to make mounting during a fight harder that'd be cool too, but I think it's hard enough now.  Especially if your ride skill is taken into account when you try to mount a mount when fighting.  Go with the free hit.  It only makes sense.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

It makes sense, but not much, to me.  For reasons explained above, as well as the motivation behind the idea.

I don't think this is a betterment of the game issue, or a realism issue, or any of that.  Plain, flat out, I think people don't like having others be able to escape easily, even when it makes -more- sense for them to be able to do so.

Just my take on it.  Unless more points are brought up to respond to...this...should be my last post on the issue, because otherwise I'll just keep repeating myself.

Quote from: "Yokunama"I'd love to see some people 'demand' the goods of others, before they begin their assult. It might help decrease some insta-fleeing, and create more roleplaying between the victim and the raider.

This would be very cool.  OOCly I believe that most players would be much better sports about having their PC robbed than having their PC killed.  

If someone runs in and attacks me, with or without a prepared emote, of course I'm going to run away (I've even run away when I am clearly doing more damage than the attacker) because having some maniac run towards you with violent intent is the sort of thing I think a sensible person would try to avoid.  Unfortunately you can't see them "moving toward you" you only see them enter the room (presumably some distance away) and then they are suddenly right up close and poking you with their sharp stick.  Unfortunately, if you are trying to rob people and they always run away you get tired of that too and move to a "stab first and ask questions later" method.

Something I've tried to prepare a few times, but never actually had the opportunity to try in-game, is to have distraction loot ready.  A small pile of coin, an extra full water-skin, maybe some food and a few other things.  The idea is that when pursued by suspicious characters you start dropping the loot.  Not a crippling amount of loot to lose, but enough to distract most would-be raiders.  If I get to choose between stopping and picking up some free loot, or continuing to chase my target and risking my life to get an unknown amount of loot, I may decide to take the free loot and call it a day.  Potentially everybody wins.  The raider makes a profit with little effort and the victim loses some stuff but not all his stuff or his life.  Once again bribes save the day!

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Perhaps someone can explain this to me, raiding aside. How can someone, who is engaged in combat, has something in both of their hands, mount a resting kank, make it stand, and then flee in a blink of an eye?