Prompt.

Started by Reito, April 06, 2006, 11:49:04 AM

Quick question. Why is it that we have a limit on how much we put into our prompt? I mean..Can't we have what we like? How is that even IC? I just came back to playing here, and I really don't understand the point behind it.
Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.
C. S. Lewis

Just because certain strings have a character limit doesn't mean they're supposed to be IC...

But anyway, best guess is that it's limited because many (older?) clients have trouble with lines more than 84 characters, making the output really ugly.  So, the prompt command limits it to a single 84-character line.

Aw. Darn.
Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.
C. S. Lewis

I dunno why, but for me the character limit seems to be far below 80... is that something about my client?

I have can squeeze in the necessary stuff somehow, but can't pu in everythign i'd like to..
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Perhaps it accounts for the maximum character length of certain prompt variables.

Before this thread I honestly didn't know there was a limit, though.  My prompts have always been just <health/movement/stun> or <health/movement/stun/mana>.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"Perhaps it accounts for the maximum character length of certain prompt variables.

Before this thread I honestly didn't know there was a limit, though.  My prompts have always been just <health/movement/stun> or <health/movement/stun/mana>.

I put in a few letters to indicate which is which and the walking speed and that's nearly at the limit.

Well, I like to make mine pretty, moe. :D
C. S. Lewis

I always do %h(%H) %v(%V) %t(%T)>

But for my magickers, I can't fit...

%h(%H)hp %v(%V)mv %m(%M)mana %t(%T)stun>

That is too large.  So, I have to go like this:

%h/%Hhp %v/%Vmv %m/%Mmana %t/%Tstun>

I do wish there was more space.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

That short?  Well damnit then, down with small prompts!

It was previously hardcoded to 36 characters due to the fact that you couldn't add newlines in your prompt.  Sorry we overlooked this so long.  I've extended it so you can up to 512 characters, hopefully noone needs more than that.

Morgenes
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Anyone else think that cool coding ideas is a pissing contest between Xygax and Morgenes?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Somebody get a ruler.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I proposed a while ago that you should be able to put the time and date elements into your prompt, and have them show a nul character while you're in a situation that they aren't normally accessible (ie you're under ground).  At least one or two staff seemed interested in this, because I got a response from the idea I made in game.

Has any further concideration been put into this idea?

AND the RL time in the prompt.  that would be awesome!  I want to know when it's 3 a.m.

eh...maybe not.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"AND the RL time in the prompt.  that would be awesome!  I want to know when it's 3 a.m.

eh...maybe not.

%h/%H %v/%V %t/%T %w %weather %hour>

the weather and the hour would be cool...not sure how that would fit.

Maybe like

80/80 80/80 80/80 walking hot/windy highsun>
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

80/80 hp, 80/80 mana, 80/80 move, 80/80 stun, Walking, Visible, Standing, "is standing here, scratching his balls", Bobaloo, sirihish, the yellow kank, southern-accent, OhMyGodWhatElseCanIPutHere!> n

80/80 hp, 80/80 mana, 78/80 move, 80/80 stun, Walking, Visible, Standing, "is standing here, scratching his balls", Bobaloo, sirihish, the yellow kank, southern-accent, OhMyGodWhatElseCanIPutHere!> n

80/80 hp, 80/80 mana, 76/80 move, 80/80 stun, Walking, Visible, Standing, "is standing here, scratching his balls", Bobaloo, sirihish, the yellow kank, southern-accent, OhMyGodWhatElseCanIPutHere!> n

80/80 hp, 80/80 mana, 74/80 move, 80/80 stun, Walking, Visible, Standing, "is standing here, scratching his balls", Bobaloo, sirihish, the yellow kank, southern-accent, OhMyGodWhatElseCanIPutHere!> n
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

My current prompt looks like this:

<Name: standing & walking @ 99[99][99] - accent language>

That's a lot of info concisely expressed.  I don't need to see my number maximums.  I know what they are.  So what I have is:

- name (for log cleaning purposes)
- position and walk speed
- stun, hp, stamina (in that order)
- accent
- language

That's 8 bits of information on one line, and you can see it's not very long.  I'd love to add one more line to this with the time of day.  I also have my client parse my prompt with unobtrusive shades of the same color so that I can easily pick out the info I need.

I'd love to be able to add the IC time to this, and though that would add more info, I don't think it's as bad as Halaster's satirical example above.  Like....come on.  If people want to put every possible field on their prompt, why not let them?  Who is it hurting?  If it's actually hurting ginka, just tell me and I'll stfu.

This is great.  Now I can put in movement rate for multilingual PCs and a bunch of other useful information for magickers.  Yeah baby.

And when I do a dwarf magicker...
105/105hp 78/83mv 110/110stun 75/75mana grounded walking Mirukkim visible "is scratching his ass." Focus: Kill j00>

Awesome.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I am constantly >ctrl-A >ctrl-X >time >ctrl-V ... typing 'time' before an emote. I use the time and weather in my emotes a lot. Having the time in my prompt, and the weather... when applicable (like, not in caves) would be extremely awesome, and save valuable seconds in high-speed RP situations.

My prompt: <150/150::270/257::140/140>

<%h/%H::%v/%V::%t/%T>

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Good girls do it like Tamarin.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "Morgenes"It was previously hardcoded to 36 characters due to the fact that you couldn't add newlines in your prompt.  Sorry we overlooked this so long.  I've extended it so you can up to 512 characters, hopefully noone needs more than that.

Morgenes

This won't work for me for some reason... :-/

prompt %h/%H %v%/V %t/%T Pace: %2>

I don't want or need anything else ever.  You guys are silly.

Actually I have nothing in prompt for any PC.  My prompt is:
>

I use infobar!
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Nao"
Quote from: "Morgenes"It was previously hardcoded to 36 characters due to the fact that you couldn't add newlines in your prompt.  Sorry we overlooked this so long.  I've extended it so you can up to 512 characters, hopefully noone needs more than that.

Morgenes

This won't work for me for some reason... :-/

You need to wait for the next reboot, which the next scheduled one will be next Wednesday.  Watch the Armageddon Home page to see when we last rebooted.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff