Why do only rangers get to quit in wilderness?

Started by FightClub, April 03, 2006, 07:22:29 AM

It seems really silly to me, point blank, that only rangers can quit in the wilderness for ooc reasons.  That I have to potentially wait six extra hours for these hellish ig storms to clear, for four days for my slow stamina bar to fill up, before I can pause and go through the desert, cause I have to go to school in five hours.

When we're talking about quitting, it's an ooc thing right?  We accept it no matter what in clans, ig, ic, but we can't allow it outside of designated zones?  Seriously what's up with that?

quit
You are not in safe room.

...whatever
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I think this feature is really to encourage those wheo don't play rangers to understand that they are not playing rangers. Rangers are a select breed who have generally spent more time outside the cities than in them, and thus can bunk in the dunes far better than any non-traveller.

That said, Iwouldn't mind seeing anyone following a ranger be able to take advantage of this feature.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Alright that's dandy, but what of the ooc aspect of it?  Why not just put a camp system in, and boom 10 minutes for said class, 2.5 seconds for ranger.  It's rediculous taking this sort of thing ic.  When I want to quit, I'm not held in a plot, or running from pk, I should be able to -quit- bottom line.
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

And encourage people to be rangers, that's the last thing we need, they're already twinked.

I'd really have to agree.   Quitting is an OOC thing so the whole 'camp' deal with it is really just bringing IC holds into OOC.  I do like that rangers have an advantage in that way, but they have advantages in other ways and I have had to choose more than once to either go link-dead and die (possibly) or stay on and get in trouble for not doing something.
quote="spawnloser"]Masturbate.[/quote]

I like the fact only rangers can quit anywhere outside for a number of reason, even though I have been in FAR more than one frustrating unquitable sandstorm of madness.

The reason I like it is because it makes the wilderness far more hostile. If you're not a ranger, you simply have no idea how to survive out there for a long period of time. If you're not a ranger, you shouldn't travel far from a city without good reason, or a without a guide.

This keep people inside cities, and creates the illusion that they are far safer. Also, it provides employment for rangers, which I don't see enough of. Loner rangers are great, but since the storm code was changed they really should be treated as gold dust for merchants etc.

Brought up camp, before for one, I know if any person had the chance to just quit out anywhere, it'd be abused, with a camp, or delayed action, you can still quit out when you want, or relitively sooner than waiting six hours for global typhoon sandstorm of hell to pass.  And get some sleep for the night.  Face it, quitting is ooc, restriction on quitting is bringing ooc ic, which is bad.  We need to make changes. (and delete all rangers)

Oh and just for another note ic my character is not going to wait sixteen days and die in the desert, or let some braxat eat him, because I had to leave him idle in the desert to go to work.

Quote from: "Spoon"I like the fact only rangers can quit anywhere outside for a number of reason, even though I have been in FAR more than one frustrating unquitable sandstorm of madness.

The reason I like it is because it makes the wilderness far more hostile. If you're not a ranger, you simply have no idea how to survive out there for a long period of time. If you're not a ranger, you shouldn't travel far from a city without good reason, or a without a guide.

This keep people inside cities, and creates the illusion that they are far safer. Also, it provides employment for rangers, which I don't see enough of. Loner rangers are great, but since the storm code was changed they really should be treated as gold dust for merchants etc.

It's bullshit, not justification.  With or without a ranger, a character wound not idle in the wilderness for six days standing in place, and die of starvation.  A character would not sit and let a wild beat eat him while he was working, because his player was offline.  Quitting -period- is complete ooc it should be treated as such, and for some reason it is not.

It's like wow, rangers are the only people who have the ability to rift time and space, creating a break between ooc and ic of arm allowing them to quit.  Not it's silly.  If a ranger should be able to quit, I should be able to quit.  There is no bearing on ooc with ic abilities, I see -no- reason why it should even be an issue.

First of all, chill.

Second of all, if you want to be able to quit, don't go into the wilderness.

I know this isn't the answer you want, and it certainly isn't the perfect answer, but this has been discussed a zillion times before and never gets anywhere because people refuse to acknowledge how the mud has to work. I see this almost as fundamental as permadeath.

Arm isn't a drop in game, and it never will be.

Warriors, merchants and whatnot have less IC knowledge of how to survive in the wilds when compared to rangers. Thus, it's easier for them either to stay inside a walls or trust on services of a ranger. *shrugs*

And I think there are saferooms scattered out there in the wilderness (I've accidentally found out some, but it's something you should find out IC).

...and hostility takes you nowhere here, FightClub. Please behave.
I'd suggest playing when you know you can play without much disturbance.

*faceplam*

Still no explanation of why ooc situation is ruling ic.  Still no explanation of why we're forcing everyone who wants to play in the wilderness to be a ranger.  Like I said it's not justification, these are pathetic excuses.

Quote from: "FightClub"*faceplam*

Still no explanation of why ooc situation is ruling ic.  Still no explanation of why we're forcing everyone who wants to play in the wilderness to be a ranger.  Like I said it's not justification, these are pathetic excuses.

It simply shows the difference of lifestyles between rangers and other classes. If you want to play in wilderness, you can be a ranger, OR find sufficent time in real life.

Please calm down, too.

Quote from: "MossOwl"Warriors, merchants and whatnot have less IC knowledge of how to survive in the wilds when compared to rangers. Thus, it's easier for them either to stay inside a walls or trust on services of a ranger. *shrugs*

And I think there are saferooms scattered out there in the wilderness (I've accidentally found out some, but it's something you should find out IC).

...and hostility takes you nowhere here, FightClub. Please behave.
I'd suggest playing when you know you can play without much disturbance.

Alright, but catch this! Me going to work, wouldn't stop my character from going back to the city once a storm stops.  But if I go to work, he's going to sit there, and sit there, and sit there, and possibly die.  Where is this ic nature in this?  What baring does ability to survive have to do with me being able to input an ooc command?

A helpful hint, but there are usually quitsafe rooms scattered about, usually within walking distance of a road. It is not impossible for a non-ranger to live completely in the wilderness, I've done it multiple times. It is just far more difficult as a non-ranger, and it should be.

Furthermore, quitting out is not purely OOC. In the case of being outside the gates, that is the price you pay for not being prepared (I.E. a ranger). Now, if it is an emergency, you may try wishing up and resolving that somehow. However, in my opinion, things are perfect the way they are with rangers quit prowess.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

I agree with you FightClub, although your tone is a bit off :)

To other posters: this is my interpretation of it, so correct and punish me if I'm wrong. But what FightClub wants is not for non-ranger characters to suddenly gain ranger abilities, but to be able to quit because he has to leave the game to go to work, and that his only option is to go linkdead which is not only highly dangerous but also generally frowned upon. I've personally never set foot outside of a city state's walls, so I can't contribute with knowledge other than what I've heard and know from helpfiles. But quitting is not an IC thing, as he said, and a game should never ever ever ever prevent the player from leaving when he/she wants to, except for short periods of time such as the no-quit period after combat, which prevents people from twink-abusing left and right.

The ability of quitting in wilderness is a ranger ability because it would seem ranger-ish to do so, but my suggestion would be to let anyone quit in the wilderness, possibly with some preparation time, say 5-10 minutes to set up a camp or something similar to prevent people from cheating away from angry giths and such, and let rangers do it without that delay. And maybe give rangers an IC thing, like the ability to set up a camp with a shelter and let people in that camp regain stamina a little faster. Something along those lines, so that rangers still have something special in the wilderness aside from tracking and whatever else rangers have.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Cegar"A helpful hint, but there are usually quitsafe rooms scattered about, usually within walking distance of a road. It is not impossible for a non-ranger to live completely in the wilderness, I've done it multiple times. It is just far more difficult as a non-ranger, and it should be.

Furthermore, quitting out is not purely OOC. In the case of being outside the gates, that is the price you pay for not being prepared (I.E. a ranger). Now, if it is an emergency, you may try wishing up and resolving that somehow. However, in my opinion, things are perfect the way they are with rangers quit prowess.

Quit prowess? Not purely OOC?  Right, what does my characters adeptness have to do with what time I have to be at work? Nothing? Oh, wrong, my "quit prowess" isn't high enough.  I'm sorry I don't have a complete "OOC" zone listing of quit rooms, as you, or you, or you do.  But frankly, I don't see what quit zones, quit prowess, or anything has to do with me having to leave the game.  Period.  Round it all you want, quit is an ooc command, we quit to leave the game, not to camp for the night ig, we do that ig, so when we quit it is ooc, for ooc means, and for ooc use, period.  It should be treated that way.  It's just silly to think how people defend this unholy ooc power rangers hold, warriors, merchants, or anyone are fully capable of surviving in the wild, if they weren't tribals wouldn't have them, period.  No this is purely ooc, it has no bearing ic.

Quote from: "Hymwen"I agree with you FightClub, although your tone is a bit off :)

To other posters: this is my interpretation of it, so correct and punish me if I'm wrong. But what FightClub wants is not for non-ranger characters to suddenly gain ranger abilities, but to be able to quit because he has to leave the game to go to work, and that his only option is to go linkdead which is not only highly dangerous but also generally frowned upon. I've personally never set foot outside of a city state's walls, so I can't contribute with knowledge other than what I've heard and know from helpfiles. But quitting is not an IC thing, as he said, and a game should never ever ever ever prevent the player from leaving when he/she wants to, except for short periods of time such as the no-quit period after combat, which prevents people from twink-abusing left and right.

The ability of quitting in wilderness is a ranger ability because it would seem ranger-ish to do so, but my suggestion would be to let anyone quit in the wilderness, possibly with some preparation time, say 5-10 minutes to set up a camp or something similar to prevent people from cheating away from angry giths and such, and let rangers do it without that delay. And maybe give rangers an IC thing, like the ability to set up a camp with a shelter and let people in that camp regain stamina a little faster. Something along those lines, so that rangers still have something special in the wilderness aside from tracking and whatever else rangers have.

*takes in a deep breath*

Exactly -- *ends rant*

I'll let some sympathizers pick it up now.

Quote from: "FightClub"Still no explanation of why we're forcing everyone who wants to play in the wilderness to be a ranger.

You want to play in the ocean, you've got to be a fish.

Spoon's right. I feel like a Liberal on the O'Reily Factor. I wash my hands of this. Have fun arguing.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "Spoon"
Quote from: "FightClub"FightClub wrote:
Still no explanation of why we're forcing everyone who wants to play in the wilderness to be a ranger.

You want to play in the ocean, you've got to be a fish.

Besides, it's quite obvious you're not looking for an answer. I suppose this is my fault for taking notice of the word 'Discussion' at the top of the page..

Ah closest thing to a flame I could find.

Yeah sorry, I edited that bit out because I thought this turned into a discussion....

But I'll edit it back in. FightClub, you aren't taking notice of anyone's answers. I think you're pissed off about a recent occurrence and you'll get over it.

I'd really like to get some IMM opinion in on this too.

Nah I'm pushing for a change here, as I do with all similar threads.  Maybe we could get a staff member to forward it to code?

But yeah I'm off to bed, feel free to carry on.

Then use the ask the staff forum. You won't get anyone else answering in there. Or you could dig up one of the other kajillion threads and find an answer there.

If you're quitting, your character is staying outside for a long period of time - sure, anyone can do that, but not in the open plain. Your character would have to stay there, eat, drink, and msot important sleep somewhere - int he middle of the desert heat with no shelter when you've got no particular knowledge about how to do this (cause that'S what a non-ranger really is)?

I agree, a 10 minute delay or soemthing for iother classes wouldn't be too bad - but that would amke every fucking merchant be able to survive whereever? Bleh. warriors are for fighting, not to stay outside forever.

And it's not too hard to play a warrior as an outside char -  I played one as a delf, and if you apply some common sense you can easily find thsoe quit safe rooms. Where would your average warrior be able to sleep without dehydrating too much and without any extra shelter?
Check caves, groves, huts, ruins, anything where there's a lot of trees (groves or an oasis), or animal dens. They're all over the palce and usually far within range of getting there using only a fraction of the movement your delf or your kank got.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"