Serjeant with a J

Started by Anonymous, March 03, 2006, 01:25:01 AM

Moved to general discussion. This is not an announcement, and at this point, just barely discussion.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

It's pronounced the same, so the spelling doesn't matter? I am so tempted to type out my character's speech entirely phonetically from now on. If you think that's a laugh, go read Feersum Endjinn.

I can't wait until this thread gets bumped in two years by a spam bot and the whole thing starts all over again.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

:arrow:  There is no phonetic difference between using j and g in "sergeant/serjeant" (see Larrath's earlier post).

:arrow: To get a soft 'j' sound, there is no one letter in the English language that can do it.  You have to go to Chinese.  In this instance, our alphabetic representation of the sound (similar to joyeux in french) would be 'xi'.  Therefore sergeant would be "serxiant".

If this is truly a phonetic issue, change it to "serxiant", or keep it as "sergeant".
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "LauraMars"I can't wait until this thread gets bumped in two years by a spam bot and the whole thing starts all over again.

:lol:
b]YB <3[/b]

Serxient would be an awesome name for a rank.

Fear the SERX-I-AUNT.
Back from a long retirement

Look, like it or not, but this is/was a serious discussion to some. It isn't under OOC Chatter, and you should respect that no matter how trivial or silly you think the issue is. Stick to the topic by calling it trivial, or don't post.

I don't think it's trivial. It does bug me that there's this legislated inconsistence in the spelling of Sergeant between the clans, because I hate regarding mud-speech as written text, which this makes me do. It jolts me out of character.

Is it a big enough issue to enough people to bring about a discussion? Apparently. Big enough to drive through a change? Dunno. What are the pros?

And it's not the British spelling. We type it just like you do, and have done so for centuries.

Tamarin...if someone said something before, why repeat it?  Since you did, I'll repeat what I said...

I think this discussion has hit an end.  Stop complaining to those of us that have no power to change anything.  Send an email to the Winrothol IMMs with a point to this discussion, present your case, and see if they'll change.

That simple.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Tamarin...if someone said something before, why repeat it?  Since you did, I'll repeat what I said...

I'm really not understanding this comment spawnloser.  That was Tamarin's first contribution to the overall thread and he voiced his opinion.  That opinion was in agreement with some others stated.  That's what a discussion is about - different people discussing the topic and presenting their views.  You, on the other hand, have posted about eight times in this thread saying the exact same thing.

For this reason, I don't understand what you are saying about Tamarin's post.  Is it invalid because he posted what he thinks and that particular viewpoint was already put forth by multiple other people?  He added in a new point of view with a possible alternative so that wasn't brought up before... I don't get it.  Why would you point out his post over any of the others?

Is your post even more invalid because you have already posted the exact same viewpoint over and over again?  

By your logic, this thread should only be three posts long.  The original question.  One post saying serjeant with a J sounds like sergeant no matter what anyone says.  And one post saying that serjeant does sound differently, although not in english, and that it is written like that in the docs.

My own view, since that's what people do when they are involved in a discussion, is that serjeant with a J should be changed if the purpose of having it spelt with a J is for differentiation based on pronounciation.  The pronounciation is exactly the same as sergeant when it is read and spoken out loud.  

If the J is there to make it look a little more exotic, that's fine, but no one should get upset ICly if it is written Sergeant - again, there is no difference in the sound.

QuoteI think this discussion has hit an end.  Stop complaining to those of us that have no power to change anything.  Send an email to the Winrothol IMMs with a point to this discussion, present your case, and see if they'll change.

This can be said about almost every discussion on the board.  Yet we like to talk about these things because we are human.  There is no need to get a little testy about one particular response over any other; especially when that post presented a new bit of information and a possible suggestion.  

Overall, I didn't read many complaints in this thread - I read a lot of well thought out points of view with backing from different sources.  

Does a discussion like this help out?  I think so.  Even if the imms don't make the change to the documentation (and change has been enacted from threads exactly like this one before) players benefit from open discussion about titles and rankings.  Perhaps a Winrothol type will read this and realize that if someone write sergeant it is the same as writing serjeant - and therefore, not penalize the person who wrote it.  That's not an IC mistake that's an OOC thing since it is the same word.  Is it preferable to write serjeant?  Sure, 'cause that honors the documentation, but it isn't imperative nor is it a slight to not do so.

It's all been said.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"