The Inevitable Poll on Karma

Started by Medena, February 02, 2006, 01:07:41 PM

My feelings about the karma system are:

It's a good system and adminstered in a very fair manner. I'm a big fan!
24 (20.2%)
I'm quite satisifed with it. It works just fine.
44 (37%)
It seems to work. I dunno, don't really think about it.
32 (26.9%)
It's okay I guess, but surely there is a more efficient system we could use?
6 (5%)
It's a flawed system and open to being administered in a biased manner.
13 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Voting closed: February 02, 2006, 01:07:41 PM

Still, I'm suprised eleven people voted negatively. While the person who said "majority of the playerbase dislikes the karma system" (loosely quoted) mostly ment himself and himself only. Eleven people is still quiet a number.

Well, the poll itself is worded rather poorly.  I mean, the options aren't mutually exclusive.  A system can be both good and flawed.  People could be satisfied with it even though a more effecient system may be possible.  It can be open to being administered in a biased manner but be fairly administered anyway.

If the bottom option was "The karma system is completely broken and needs to be replaced ASAP" then you'd probably have gotten far fewer votes.

sarahjc, there is no need to lecture me about how karma is earned. I have no personal grievance. And I know how karma is distributed. I have karma. I'm not whining or complaining. I'm simply pointing out a possible flaw, and I gave an example for this, which was maybe a bad idea because it seems it was easily misunderstood.

I believe the system is biased towards time and timezone effects, coupled with some luck of manageing to stay alive long enough to be able to show consistent play. I also believe it is possible to disagree with me without telling me things that are clear to everyone, and that have not been questioned in the discussion.

Any chance of getting this thread locked?

Like most threads with more than 4 or 5 pages, the pool of useful discussion points seem to have been emptied.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Hmm few thoughts...

Imm-pets getting free karma.  Don't believe it happens... Probably makes getting karma harder if you know an IMM.

Clanned characters getting more karma... Only had one who lasted long (1 game year) and that was before I knew about updates.   Rest all got killed by their bosses before they could devlop much.

Staff grudges... Unlikely

PC grudges.. Very possible.. I believe there are groups of players who are friends who subtly back each other's play.  I also think that longer lived indies get set up.. One of mine was doing very nicely  and people I'd known a while started to offer me suicide missions....

Griefers...  Yeah.. There are people who come up with rp excuses to ruin other people's fun.. Or get into a position of power just to step on people (Kypling's little tin gods).   This is different then the templar who hauls you in slaps you around demands information... And then either fines you or rewards you....  Unless they are acting for an ooc friend you can usually beg or bribe your way out of minor trouble.

Me  13 characters in about a year and a half... 4 or so which lasted less less then a rl week... Longest lived... Killed by boss.. Most fun.. Killed by sorcerer..  

Cheesiest death?  Character killed by the same character as the previous.. In the same room using the same slave to kill me...
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

I think time plays a part too.  Anthony Hopkins could join up but even if he focused his formidable acting talent on making the most believable and consistant PC ever, I bet he couldn't get 7 karma by this time next year.   :D  

It took me about a year to get my first point of karma.  Over the nearly 5 years I've been playing I've had over 100 characters, and a few more Karma points.  Not enough to play the half-giant sorcerer I've always wanted, but I suppose that idea would go better in an odd urges thread.  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Akaramu"
I also believe it is possible to disagree with me without telling me things that are clear to everyone, and that have not been questioned in the discussion.

I wasn't trying to "pick on you" per say or even directing most of my post at you except for the first paragraph.  I was just stating my opinion, and using your example, which I have already done, so there is no need to rehash it.

What may be clear to you or I is not necessarily clear to everyone and this is a discussion board. If you make a post, people are then free to make and post their own opinions on it. You brought up an issue of timing when it comes to account comments, as you stated that you had received on that was due to bad timing and had to go back to the staff with logs and I was addressing that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most people who live in an alternate time zone with off-peak play hours do have a bit of difficulty with getting animations and getting involved in plots, but that is just the difficulty of off peak time. When the staff calls for new members, I would rather that they choose people who they think will be good staff as opposed to someone who might not be so great as a staffer, but can be around for off peak hours just so that they can be more diligent with passing out off peak Karma.

As I said before, I really think it's all about Time, Trust and Good RP not the hours that you play on.  If you are consistent with these things, you will get the Karma you deserve regardless of your play times.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "sarahjc"As I said before, I really think it's all about Time, Trust and Good RP not the hours that you play on.  If you are consistent with these things, you will get the Karma you deserve regardless of your play times.

I'd agree with the above. I play off-peak but I've managed to get 8 karma in about 4.5 years despite getting a couple of bad account notes in the beginning. I don't consider myself a stellar RPer - the depth of some of the characters I see other people play around the place really impresses me and make me envious sometimes. Its all about being consistently true to the spirit of the game. If you can do that you will without a doubt get the karma you want. If you play off-peak I'd strongly encourage you to play in clans at least some of the time if you want to get karma. Playing off-peak is not a death-knell for getting leadership roles either except for playing a templar maybe and they're a great way of demonstrating that you're a responsible player. Live for a while, play the character consistently, involve others around you (whether you're a leader or not), keep the Imms updated and prove to them that they can trust you. It won't happen overnight but consistently doing it over time will absolutely not go unnoticed.