Tents

Started by Jarod550, January 18, 2006, 10:42:09 PM

Is there any code that stops someone from rolling up your tent while people are in it, I've been hesitating on buying a tent for my character cause I'm thinking it will get stolen

Jarod

No worries, you cannot roll up a tent with someone in it. You can shake it though to let them know your out there.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

And you can destroy tents when people are in it too.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

What's the sytax for shaking or destroying a tent?
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Probably 'shake tent' and 'break tent' or 'hit tent' or 'kill tent' or 'destroy tent'

One of those.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

thats pretty shitty, breakin someones 1500 sid item... I don't think I would do it

Jarod

Quote from: "Jarod550"thats pretty shitty, breakin someones 1500 sid item... I don't think I would do it

Jarod

Not everyone in the desert is quite as nice as you.   :shock:
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"
Quote from: "Jarod550"thats pretty shitty, breakin someones 1500 sid item... I don't think I would do it

Jarod

Not everyone in the desert is quite as nice as you.   :shock:

Well, I don't think it would fit my character concept to just snap from being nice and murder someone after destroying the tent they are sleeping in.

Jarod

But if you guys will give me a buy on realism, I'm all in.

Quote from: "Jarod550"Well, I don't think it would fit my character concept to just snap from being nice and murder someone after destroying the tent they are sleeping in.
If you're going to go through the bother of killing them, might as well take the tent as spoils, no?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Jarod550"Well, I don't think it would fit my character concept to just snap from being nice and murder someone after destroying the tent they are sleeping in.

If you are out to kill someone, though, it makes perfect sense.  Peek inside, see where they are and then stab them through the tent wall.

say a tribe sets up encampment somewhere in grey forest right infront of another tribe's territory. Then one day, during a sandstorm bunch of cloaked up figures ride into the encampment, set it afire, and slaughter as many as they could before the encampment organizes up and begins fighting off. They kill few people, destroy few tents, and ride away into the desert.

I made that up, but I'm positive this happened before ... multiple times too :)

Just because YOU wouldn't do something doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.  You know what a raider calls somebody who sleeps alone in an unguarded tent out in the wastes?

Easy money.

You know what a halfling calls somebody who pitches a tent in the forest and takes a nap inside?

Lunch.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

There should be some sort of way to secure tents on your own, to warn of intruders, because some players (like me) don't like constantly having to wait for a friend to be around to watch my back while my character sleeps.  So what I have to do now is sleep and keep waking up every once in a while, looking around and then sleeping again.

You should be able to be independant and someone protected, whether it be by some type of guard dog (maybe make gortoks tameable) or close up the tent, dunno.

Jarod

I have never been insta-killed while sleeping on Arm. :|  I have seen that on just every other MUD, though.

Usually, I see those 'someone' emotes where someone is trying to do something naughty instead. :P

Tents piss me off because of this:

The tiny, barely noticeable insect has arrived from the west.

Your tent is UTTERLY DESTROYED by the tiny, barely noticeable insect.

I've had this happen a couple of times, and it frustrates me to no end.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: "Jarod550"There should be some sort of way to secure tents on your own, to warn of intruders, because some players (like me) don't like constantly having to wait for a friend to be around to watch my back while my character sleeps.  So what I have to do now is sleep and keep waking up every once in a while, looking around and then sleeping again.

You should be able to be independant and someone protected, whether it be by some type of guard dog (maybe make gortoks tameable) or close up the tent, dunno.

Jarod

By going out into the wilderness alone (which the majority of Zalanthas think is one of the stupidest things in the world) you are taking a HUGE risk.  If you don't want to wait for your PC's friends to log in, that's your choice, and possibly your problem.  It is up to you to find a way to defend and protect yourself.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

It seems as if the major complaint about tents is the relationship between how easily they're destroyed vs. how much they cost.  I would agree that purchasing a tent (cloth and a few poles and stakes) for 1500 'sid seems a bit much when someone can just walk along and utterly destroy it, not only with one command, but with no warning or lag.

You could combat this problem with two solutions: make tents less expensive or add a delay in attacking the tent akin to "forage" and include some kind of message (received both inside and outside the tent) when this happens.

Windswept Plains [NEWS]
A small, dark-brown tent is here.

>break tent
You begin tearing down the tent.

(meanwhile, inside the tent)

The tent lurches as something tears at it from outside.

That would at least give the owner of the tent time to leave the tent, confront the would-be attacker, flee, or otherwise engage someone before they lose 1500 'sid.  What is gained by allowing the tent to be instantly destroyed from the outside?

-LoD

Maybe adding damage steps to erected tents would be possible?

a used steel-poled templar tent

Someone puts a couple holes in the fabric, you can stitch it... someone breaks a pole, you can remake it.  Destroying all the fabric and all the poles would take a bit of time.

Maybe just two or three damage steps, it'd be of great help.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Personally, I think tents (along with quite a bit of other things) are still hack and slash. By that, I mean that the items that look easily made cost a shitload because they are effectively "cool." Where as other items cost a few coins because they don't have that same feeling to them.

But then again, five people can buy a tent together and use it together and each pay 3 small.
6 would pay 250 and so on.

Someone can better explain this, I bet, as I am a poor illiterate S.a.p..
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Jarod550"Is there any code that stops someone from rolling up your tent while people are in it, I've been hesitating on buying a tent for my character cause I'm thinking it will get stolen

One time someone rolled up my character's tent from outside while I was still in it, but I wasn't aware until after the fact.  I stepped out of the tent and the next thing I knew I was inside some dude's backpack!

Now THAT could be some interesting roleplay.. lol.

How about when you break a tent, you get a broken tent object that can be taken into the city and repaired for a fraction of what it costs to buy a new one?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "LoD"
You could combat this problem with two solutions: make tents less expensive or add a delay in attacking the tent akin to "forage" and include some kind of message (received both inside and outside the tent) when this happens.

-LoD

I agree with a delay, but I think it should be a bit longer than the one forage has.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Tamarin"How about when you break a tent, you get a broken tent object that can be taken into the city and repaired for a fraction of what it costs to buy a new one?

Don't you get a broken tent?

A bit of RP and an email is all it costs, from what I've seen.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Meh, I think tents are too damned expensive. 1500 is way too much for some crappy poles and cloth that goes over them. I think they should be made cheaper. I also do like LoD's idea of a delay and an echo when someone is trying to tear one down. Make it interuptable by an attack or something.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D