Equality.

Started by Synthesis, November 21, 2005, 04:31:51 AM

Equalize hp, stun, and movement regeneration rates for all classes.  Having some classes heal/recover faster is just absurd, and incredibly annoying.

I've heard all the arguments for and against...the system is ridiculous.  Being a warrior doesn't make you a superhuman.  Neither does being a ranger, or anything else.

If you want to use the argument that these classes are somehow "tougher" mentally or physically, give them higher max hp/stun/stamina, but equalize regeneration rates.

My main gripe is stun regeneration, because that's the one that's so immediately obvious.  Warriors can stand around and Way each other without even bothering to check their stun points, because they regenerate standing as fast as other classes regenerate resting in the fetal position, concentrating as hard as their obviously inferior little brains can manage it.  It's absurd.  Please, for the love of all that is realistic in this game, change this bizarre quirk in the code.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Seconded.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Is there really a difference based on class?

I'm not a warrior and I can constantly way someone without dropping below 99 stun. Same with using barrier.

There are a crap load of other factors involved - stamina score, ability with the way, the weather, where you're sitting.

I know this is just one situationi - but while there may be reasonable differences in race, I have never noticed or heard that these (regen of hp, stamina) are based on _class_ at all.

I think yer dreamin'  ;-)
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "moab"I think yer dreamin'  ;-)

No they aren't.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Huh?!  I thought it is all about endurance score.

Can someone confirm the validity of the claim?  Does class really have an effect on regeneration rates?  If yes, I don't think it is realistic at all.  If no, well.. That is good.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I'm thinking the difference takes into account training and conditioning.  Just like there are CEOs that can manage a meeting, cell phones, eating, and driving all at the same time; but a pace like that might be very stressful for, say, a cook.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: "Ghost"Huh?!  I thought it is all about endurance score.

Ditto.  

Maybe what's going on is that warriors tend to have higher endurance scores than some other classes.   I don't know if that's true or not, but I know staff has posted that your class is used as a modifier for the stat roll.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Actually, I thought the roll of stats were based on class.

-R
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Does it REALLY matter?

I do not believe that regeneration rates are affected by class unless you are a magicker, in which case some circumstances may affect how fast you regenerate mana.  

I took a brief glance at the code to confirm this, but I'm sure if I missed something, one of the coders can speak up and say I'm full of crap.

Quote from: "moab"
I think yer dreamin'  ;-)

I was right. I knew it!
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I have to agree, I can't see where it would be affected by your class at all, because all the warriors I've had in the past regenerate their stats at different speeds. My current one, for example... well... yeah... fast, but my last one was slower than christmas.

A lesson to be learned here, hmm?

Yes. Lesson.

Moab is smarter than he looks.  :-D

As far as the rate of hp/stun/endurance regen, what type of room you are in, and its weather, has the biggest impact.  Second impact is your endurance, which can be quite noticeable between lower and higher endurance levels.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Okay, here's the deal with stun:

Warriors (standing) regen at 3 stun per "regeneration event."
            (sitting)     regen at 4 stun per "regeneration event."
            (resting)    5

Rangers: Standing: 2
             Sitting: 3
             Resting: 4

All other classes: Standing: 1
                         Sitting: 2
                        Resting: 3

Now, for stamina, all classes regen at 8 points per event, except for rangers, who regenerate at 12 points per event.

Now, obviously Endurance and Race affect how many game "ticks" pass before you actually get a regeneration event, but the number of points you get per regeneration event is SET based on your CLASS. (All Diku MUDs run on a 'tick' or 'heartbeat' system that sets the minimum time value for all events occurring in the game.  Maybe it's been modified on ARM, but I haven't seen any evidence of it.)  See above for the set values.  If you'll notice, warriors standing regenerate as fast as everyone else resting.  And I can't begin to fathom why rangers regenerate stamina points at a rate that's 50% faster than everyone else.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.  I haven't seen the code, but there's an obvious difference between classes, if you bother to pay attention.

Edited to add:  Mansa reminded me of a good point:  Back in the day, warriors and rangers used to regenerate health points faster than other classes, as well.  It was 3hp for warriors, 2hp for rangers, and 1hp for everyone else.  This was changed to 1hp for every class, with the event rates variable for class, which works fine now, because the event rates don't even approach 2-3 times as fast, which was ridiculous.

Also, all props and respect to Sanvean for being awesome and everything, but I mean...even being an immortal and all, I doubt she's spent as much time getting beat up in the game as I have.  You can look at the code all day long, but unless you can do the math in your head, you're not going to get an accurate reflection of what's happening in game.  As I said, I have no idea what the code looks like.  But what I do know, after playing nearly 60 characters since 1998 (combative, every single one of them), is that what I am saying is a fact in the game.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Can you show me a graph? I got this from Sanvean.

QuoteI do not believe that regeneration rates are affected by class unless you are a magicker, in which case some circumstances may affect how fast you regenerate mana.

I took a brief glance at the code to confirm this, but I'm sure if I missed something, one of the coders can speak up and say I'm full of crap.

If she is telling us tales out of class, I would like to know.

And since I don't have a pc for every single guild, with the exact same endurance skill and subclass, then I can't confirm what you say anyway so. Rock on.

Oh. And I had a merchant with a craft based subguild and she could regenerate like it was going out of style and she was addicted. Then I had a warrior that took like half an hour to gain 30 Hp. And I've had an elf pick-pocket that just regenerated whenever I sat him down. So I have no idea where you are getting your fool-proof stats.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Synthesis"Okay, here's the deal with stun:

Warriors (standing) regen at 3 stun per "regeneration event."
            (sitting)     regen at 4 stun per "regeneration event."
            (resting)    5

Rangers: Standing: 2
             Sitting: 3
             Resting: 4

All other classes: Standing: 1
                         Sitting: 2
                        Resting: 3

Now, for stamina, all classes regen at 8 points per event, except for rangers, who regenerate at 12 points per event.

Now, obviously Endurance and Race affect how many game "ticks" pass before you actually get a regeneration event, but the number of points you get per regeneration event is SET based on your CLASS. (All Diku MUDs run on a 'tick' or 'heartbeat' system that sets the minimum time value for all events occurring in the game.  Maybe it's been modified on ARM, but I haven't seen any evidence of it.)  See above for the set values.  If you'll notice, warriors standing regenerate as fast as everyone else resting.  And I can't begin to fathom why rangers regenerate stamina points at a rate that's 50% faster than everyone else.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.  I haven't seen the code, but there's an obvious difference between classes, if you bother to pay attention.

I confirm this as correct as far as I know.

Hit Point Regeneration used to be like this, until it was changed to the way it is now.  

Before, Warriors used to regenerate 3 hitpoints per tick when they were sitting.  Rangers used to regenerate 2 hitpoints, and everybody else used to regenerate 1 hitpoint.  

Now, Both Warriors and Rangers and everybody else regenerate at the same, which is 1 hitpoint.  But the 'refresh rates' are different for the classes, so that a warrior might regenerate 1 hitpoint in 20 seconds while a ranger might in 40, and a burglar might in 60 seconds, or something like that.  Perhaps that should happen to 'stun' and 'stamina' too.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Bump Regarding STUN REGEN DIFFERENCES and how we wish to see it changed to.

I'm pretty sure that we all wish STUN was changed first.... and stamina changed a little bit later.

It would help in those situations where we wanted to 'crawl' places...rather than waiting for that last bit of 8 mv points to regen.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Actually, I wouldn't mind TOO much if stamina was never changed.

\
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

I couldn't tell you whether they're different or not, but if they are, I think they should certainly be equalized.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Uhm...as we all know, I've been mistaken with this before...but I thought awhile back there was code made that actually did what Synthesis is talking about.

Rogues and such, even as dwarves, could only regenerage one or two hitpoints at a time, while as a warrior, they could go up in spurts of three to four.  The endurance affected how fast those ticks came...

Once again, I could be mistaken, but once again...I'm remembering a post about this, sometime or another.  Or an MOTD announcement or something.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"Uhm...as we all know, I've been mistaken with this before...but I thought awhile back there was code made that actually did what Synthesis is talking about.

Rogues and such, even as dwarves, could only regenerage one or two hitpoints at a time, while as a warrior, they could go up in spurts of three to four.  The endurance affected how fast those ticks came...

Once again, I could be mistaken, but once again...I'm remembering a post about this, sometime or another.  Or an MOTD announcement or something.

That's right, it was, but REGARDING HP ONLY.

We want it to be pushed over to STUN, and to STAMINA, aswell.

Ohhhhh!

Blammo, serves me right for not paying close enough attention.  Thanks for setting me straight, Mansa.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger