Ouch

Started by Anonymous, August 27, 2005, 02:41:59 AM

So ... apparently there's no bar code in the sanctuary.  I just learned a hard lesson.

Just wondering?  Why is that?

Bar code?
Tlaloc
Legend

I think he means the brawl code. The Sanctuary is a respectable establishment, don't expect to be hitting people in there.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Hey, at least you can try to console yourself that your loot is being put to good use.

:(

Would it be possible to implement a command for brawl similar to quit?

brawl test
Yep. You can brawl in here.

or

No, you don't think that would be a great idea.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Bar code....  heh.....

The long haired, middle-aged man runs a brown bottle over the cash register.

*beep*

Besides, the place is crawling with soldiers. I think the criminal code for attacking someone is exactly what would happen in that situation.

QuoteWould it be possible to implement a command for brawl similar to quit?

brawl test
Yep. You can brawl in here.

or

No, you don't think that would be a great idea.

I agree with Cale_Knight.. I think it'd be nice if one knows where they can pick a brawl or not.[/quote]
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

I like the idea of not knowing. Also, it should be common sense that you shouldn't have a brawl in the ritz of the armageddon world. I have a feeling that players who brawl in there aren't thinking about the context of their PCs actions.

If you're in a bar with lots of nobles, templars and important people, don't fight there.  And if there are also two bloody soldiers patrolling the place... seriously.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

Realistically, it should be very easy for a character to tell whether he'd get in trouble over brawling.  In taverns where the brawl code is enabled, brawls aren't a terribly uncommon sight.
Because of this, 'brawl test' makes more sense than asking people to reread the tavern's room desc and guess whether it's dirty enough for brawling.

With this said, no man in their right minds will ever start brawling in the presence of a soldier or a templar - and the Sanctuary, in addition to the soldiers, has a templar posted just outside.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

People seem to forget that the Sanctuary is the upper-class bar of the city.  Perhaps it's because they don't pay attention to room descriptions.  Perhaps it's because the Sanctuary is the starting spot for new characters.  (I still think it should be Firestorm, since it's closer to all the shops.)
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I'm with Cuusardo on this. I think having the firestorm as the starting place would suit everything much better. Here's a few reasons:

* I'd like to see more commoners/people in general in the Firestorm.

* The Firestorm starts closer to the things new players need to get started (equipment, clothing, etc.)

* New players won't be instantly recognisable walking in and out of every room in the tavern because they can't find the exit.

* You get less people believing the Sanctuary is a hospital where you can bleed wherever you like.

* I don't think this would at all effect the interaction of the different social classes in Tuluk, as Noble's don't talk to filthy hunters anyway.

That's all I can think of right now, but there's more...

Plus, Firestorm serves ale and flame(!) straight from the bar.  Sanctuary's bartender only serves wine, and you have to get up to order ale or beer from that barmaid.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"People seem to forget that the Sanctuary is the upper-class bar of the city.  Perhaps it's because they don't pay attention to room descriptions.  Perhaps it's because the Sanctuary is the starting spot for new characters.  (I still think it should be Firestorm, since it's closer to all the shops.)

Yes, the room description of that tavern describes the place as pretty decorative enviorment to be in.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Makes no sense for the Sanc to be so close to the entrance, and north road then. With all the travelers that come through Tuluk it's the first place they pass. The firestorm should be there and the Sanc should be in Friels, or somewhere else. Most people will flock to the taverns that are closest to the main roads.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I always thought the Tembo's tooth would be there and the Sanc would be near the museum.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

And hence be near the fancy part of town.

Quote from: "Manhattan"I think he means the brawl code. The Sanctuary is a respectable establishment, don't expect to be hitting people in there.

Note the word respectable. I see too much less than respectable stuff in there much too often!  :shock:

Edited to agree: I think the Sanctuary would have less 'riff raff' if it was located elsewhere within the city, as it doesn't seem to be realized that it is the fancy place in Tuluk, but just a regular old, run of the mill tavern.
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

I agree with what some others have said, I think that the Firestorm would be a more appropriate place to have new pcs enter the game for the same reasons as already stated.

I'd like to see more people utilizing more appropriate taverns as well, it seemed to get better for a while now it's going back to the way things were again. Everyone in Tuluk hanging out in the Sanctuary and everyone in Allanak hanging out in the Bard's Barrel.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "jhunter"
I'd like to see more people untilizing more appropriate taverns as well, it seemed to get better for a while now it's going back to the way things were again. Everyone in Tuluk hanging out in the Sanctuary and everyone in Allanak hanging out in the Bard's Barrel.

I've noticed that, too, at least in allanak... Can't say anything about tuluk because I've never really played there.
I've been one of the characters always staying in the barrel even if the gaj would have been the better place, simply because the Gaj was deserted druing my play times and I felt like doing something else than soloing all the time. And I added to the problem there. If no one is willing to sit in the gaj for some time, and wait for a second pc to show up, then everyone is going to find the gaj deserted and will head for the barrel. So someone always has to start. even if I'm one pf those people guilty of not doing it

Also, it looks like the part of the playerbase that sits in taverns is simply not big enough to be split between the Gaj and the barrel. If there's just three chars... Well, you split them, and at least one is bound to be sitting somewhere on his own. So at least during off-peak times, either everyone will be sitting in the gaj or everyone will be sitting in the barrel, so unless they are all of similar social status, someone is bound to end up in a place where they don't fit in. even when we go towards peak time, and more tavern-sitters log in, they will see one tavern empty, three characters sitting in the other... And if they chose to stay at one tavern, they won't pick the one where they would sit as the only pc, they would join the group that already exists, no matter if it is the 'right' place or not...

This is an ooc problem of getting players together, both taverns would be populated at all times... Just that people prefer pcs over npcs and vnpcs. Soloing in a tavern is no fun, so you go and fins a place where you don't have to solo, even if it would be somewhat inappropriate for a character of that social class to sit in that tavern.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

One of my characters went to Allanak, and it was weird how it was peak hour (50 or 60 players), the Gaj was empty, and the Barrel was full.  90% of all the people I saw there had a southern accent.  Since when did Allanaki commoners like bards and fine music?  I had originally thought that to be reserved for the north.

Historically, the Sanctuary in Tuluk has always been open to everyone.  I don't see that changing even if the descriptions of the tavern are fairly upscale.

The Sanctuary was just that, a sanctuary built after Tuluk was destroyed and the Northlands were attempting to rebuild (ie, prior to Allanak's invasion).  It has always been a center of trade, discussion, and intrigue for the Gol Krathu.

Maybe one day events will conspire and someone will attempt to "clean up" Sanctuary but until then all are welcome to it and that even means dusty hunters or tribal elves (of course, tribal elves do have their own tavern in the tribal market but Sanctuary is still open).

Until there is an IC post (that is archived) in Tuluk in regards to Sanctuary turning its nose up to everyone I would consider Sanctuary to be open to everyone and encourage everyone to continue meeting there.  After all, that's what its historical role was and is.

I do think the Firestorm would be a better starting place for new characters as well.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I think that the Sanctuary should be open to everyone.  It IS the Sun King's Sanctuary, after all.

That isn't what concerns me so much.  What I find troubling with the Sanctuary is it seems that lately, when you go there, there are two tribal PCs, a pair of half-elf vagabonds, a Kuraci from Luir's, a hidden magicker from Red Storm, three Southerners talking smack about the northlands and sneering, a 'rinthi elf and half a dozen independent non-citizen hunters looking for mudsex.  Oh, and one northern noble and her guard protecting the sofa.  Where are the Tulukis?

The Barrel is odd, also.  I just don't get why that place draws in the PCs.  It is waay too Northern and common for the upper crust to ever go there without being taunted by their peers.  It is too swishy for the rough and tumble types, and it is a deathtrap for Gemmed to be there, lately, when the Templarate breezes through.  *shrugs*

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.