Additonal Subclasses

Started by williamson, July 07, 2005, 03:19:51 PM

I think it would be cool if there were some additional subclasses. Here are some examples I think would be interesting with sample skill lists.

Trader:  haggle, value, listen

Scout: scan, listen, hunt

Animal handler: charge, multi-hitch, mount taming

Stickyfinger: peek, steal, city-hide

Explorer: climb, rope-making, outdoor quit, search

Cutlerist: throw, knife-making, spear-making

Outpost Linguist: allundean, bendune, sirihish, listen

-Williamson
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

I have always wanted different subclasses.
Ours just seem too Hack and slash-ish.

I adjusted a couple. And these are capped just like normal subclasses.
We have had several new skills added since the last subguild was tweaked and I think they should be updated. But that is just me.

Trader: haggle, value, listen, cavilish

Scout: scan, listen, hunt, sneak, hide  

Stickyfinger: peek, steal, city-hide, plant,

Cutlerist: throw, knife-making, sword-making, cooking

Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "williamson"
Explorer: climb, rope-making, *outdoor quit*, search

I'd think not. Sorry.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

How very glib, Yokunama.

In a desert world where people _live_ outdoors, many more people than the dudes that can track could camp outdoors.

However, additional subclasses aren't going to solve anything.  It's the classes themselves that constrict us.

You can't posit one reason why a ranger should be able to quit outdoors that can't be successfully argued down.

In my mind it is a huge imposition on the players and forces those of us who have crappy schedules to either play rangers or play city folk with quick access to logging out.

I, for one, would like to have a warrior that instead of requiring me to play an additional three hours to find a quit safe room in a sandstorm (getting to bed at 3am when I have to be up at 5am) could just quit out.

What - for god's sake - is the advantage to letting a ranger have this and no one else?  None.

Sorry for the derail. My apologies.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

OH and now that I think of it, Explorer, doesn't really fit into the Arm Scheme in my head. That's just me though. Would people struggling to get by really be thinking of what they'll find in Elf territory or just beyond that? Sure maybe. Not mine, but not impossible.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Trader: With Cavilish, it's very unlikely to happen.
Scout: No way, man.  Scan, listen and hunt in the same subguild?  No way.
Stickyfinger: Isn't this already covered in the Thief subguild?
Cutlerist: I don't see how cooking fits there, but otherwise it can make sense.
Outpost Linguist: Ordinary linguists don't get listen.  Other than that, it could work and has essentially been suggested before.

The subguilds need to have balance between them.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Yokunama"I'd think not. Sorry.
Why?

I'd like more subguilds if only to confuse people who seem intent on asking you questions or putting you in situations just to figure out what your guild/subguild is.

Is that guy who can bash and quit outdoors a warrior/explorer or is he a ranger/thug?

Quote from: "Larrath"Trader: With Cavilish, it's very unlikely to happen.

Cavilish is the merchants tongue. So why not give it to merchants?

You bring up a very good point that I missed. Check listen off on the scout. They can't hear 3 leagues away. I don't give a damn who you are.

I'm doubting scan also, but someone can make it make sense.

Still, scouts. Should be able to hide and sneak, they are scouts after all.
Or hell, maybe not. They don't need to sneak up on a camp to see that it is there. Hide is good enough.

Scout- Scan, hide, hunt, and climb

Quote from: "moab"What - for god's sake - is the advantage to letting a ranger have this and no one else?  None.

I really do not see one either, nor am I a fan of rangers.

It should really be -taken- away, really.

But There are sometimes were -you have to go linkdead- because you can't find safespot. Then, Sir PK Alot comes along and takes advantage of this oppertunity to kill off your character.

>drop pants

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"
Quote from: "Larrath"Trader: With Cavilish, it's very unlikely to happen.

Cavilish is the merchants tongue. So why not give it to merchants?
It is given to the Merchants.  The guild Merchants.

The problem with scan is that it can cause very big shifts in the game balance, which is why I doubt it will ever be releaesd to a subguild.

Low-capped hunt is a maybe, but really, I just don't see what good this subguild will be.  I also never encountered subguild-sniffing, only guild-sniffing (which totally sucks).
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Without subguilds, everyone knows your Main guild.

There are a few subguilds right now that do nothing.
They just add a useless skill here or there.

A reworking of the subguilds is needed in my warped opinion.

QuoteStill, scouts. Should be able to hide and sneak, they are scouts after all.

If someone wants to be a scout, he should pick the ranger guild I think.  Just that.  Because I don't think any subguild which is taken as a "hobby" class should have such a good combination of skills.  It just owns.

Ranger is the scout.  Pick scavanger as your sub and you are going to rock as a scout.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Firstly, I would like to mention that subclasses were, at least from my understanding, originally designed to flesh out our characters and give them more definition rather than provide any significant coded advantage.  With that being the case, I think that some of the subclasses that were suggested (namely Scout and Explorer) offer too much; they borrow some of the crucial abilities that make certain main classes so appealing.

That said, however, I would also love to see more subclasses.  I hate having a character concept and looking at the subclass list, only to find that there isn't a subclass that really suits my character.

Ghardoan has spoken.

Quote from: "Ghardoan"Firstly, I would like to mention that subclasses were, at least from my understanding, originally designed to flesh out our characters and give them more definition rather than provide any significant coded advantage.  With that being the case, I think that some of the subclasses that were suggested (namely Scout and Explorer) offer too much; they borrow some of the crucial abilities that make certain main classes so appealing.

That said, however, I would also love to see more subclasses.  I hate having a character concept and looking at the subclass list, only to find that there isn't a subclass that really suits my character.

Ghardoan has spoken.

Agreed

>drop pants

Well...I tell you what, I'm not too keen on most of those. BUT I did like:

And

ESPECIALLY -> Outpost Linguist. Would be a nice offset to Linguist.

Or just give Linguist Bendue.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

My idea:

What if you created a character under normal creation rules, then spent the time trying to learn the Bendune? language...track people down who spoke it, maybe slide some sids for a tutor, ect.

And then, you keep a record of your logs and email them to the MUD, in hopes of getting the skill added to your set.

Seems to me like that would be a more satisfying way of picking up the skill, and your character would be that much more uniquie, AND you would create RP opportunities for other players.

That can really be applied to anyone who wants to branch out a skill or learn a new one or something...

By the way, this idea is one I probably read while looking through the archives, so I can't take full credit for it. Also, I have no experience with this at all, so it might be even more difficult than it reads.
 get angry with myself all the time, so it's a fair chance that I'm already hating you.

Help language.   :D
Murder your darlings.

Mulatto_Prophet: Any character can learn any language, and pretty much through the process you just suggested (minus the logging).

A linguist/bard better than others. I take that he ment a linguist can currently learn bendune if the linguist really wanted to.

Personally, I think whatever coded skills you might desire already fit with the current subguilds. Anything else that is something -unique- could be special apped, and I can't think of any off the top of my head. If anyone has any ideas on a concept where the current subguilds -don't- address, then feel free to post it, but the suggestions of subguilds that were suggested lean more toward extra super skills than concept.

I do agree the animal handler one sounds pretty cool, but I don't see how a warrior/merchant/sneaky would have enough experience with animals to handle them as well as a ranger. (meaning I think the concept could already be handled by choosing a ranger guild)
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Quote from: "williamson"
Trader:  haggle, value, listen

Scout: scan, listen, hunt

Stickyfinger: peek, steal, city-hide

Explorer: climb, rope-making, outdoor quit, search

Cutlerist: throw, knife-making, spear-making

Trader: I don't see why a trader would need listen? Besides that, the skills that were proposed sound alot like a con artist to me.
Scout: Otherwise a hunter, or even a rebel. A scout is like a subset of hunter, IMO. All the skills one would need is already available.
Animal Handler: A ranger makes a more realistic animal handler. There isn't much need for any of the other guilds to be an animal handler in the first place.
Stickyfinger: A trumped up thief subguild. Why would a "stickyfinger" need to hide after stealing something? More likely get away from the victim as quickly as possible. And giving it peek would make it closer to the thief guild than a subguild.
Explorer: A ranger solves that concept.
Cutlerist: The throw skill isn't available with the current subguilds off the bat. I wonder why? The rest can be gotten from a weaponcrafter subguild, plus alot more.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Slaver: Guard, subdue. (Sap? Might be a bit much)  

Runaway: Flee, palm, knifemaking

Gladiator: Slight endurance bonus.

Laborer: Slight strength bonus, (or a bonus to carrying weight)

Farmhand: Forage, polearms  (think pitchforks people!)

Brawler: Hand to hand bonus, subdue, low capped kick or charge?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "Revelations"I do agree the animal handler one sounds pretty cool, but I don't see how a warrior/merchant/sneaky would have enough experience with animals to handle them as well as a ranger. (meaning I think the concept could already be handled by choosing a ranger guild)

Seems like it'd be a good idea for those who want to play the role of a slaver.

>drop pants

Good bogre, good.

Someone gets the idea of constructive criticism.

I don't know about runaway. But i changed the others to reflect what I'd like.

Quote from: "Bogre"Slaver: Guard, subdue. (Sap? Might be a bit much)  

Gladiator: Slight endurance bonus, low capped kick, LC disarm

Laborer: Slight strength bonus, higher endurance,  (or a bonus to carrying weight)

Farmhand: Forage_food, polearms, bonus to strength  (think pitchforks people!)

Brawler: Hand to hand bonus, subdue, low capped kick or charge, higher drinking ability

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"
Quote from: "Bogre"Slaver: Guard, subdue. (Sap? Might be a bit much)  

Gladiator: Slight endurance bonus, low capped kick, LC disarm

Laborer: Slight strength bonus, higher endurance,  (or a bonus to carrying weight)

Farmhand: Forage_food, polearms, bonus to strength  (think pitchforks people!)

Brawler: Hand to hand bonus, subdue, low capped kick or charge, higher drinking ability

Ooh, I like these changes. But I was thinking about Runaway as a kind of prisoner...opposite of slaver kinda(They make weapons outta anything they can steal, you know, and of course they gotta escape like mad bandito flee-ers.)
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I always love how these are on the 'gimme' side of things, about about what they would be lacking in?  No I'm not grumpy, but if you want to balance it, balance it all around.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]