Most popular City

Started by Thunder Lord, June 30, 2005, 12:15:02 AM

Currently, what is the most popular city?

Allanak
66 (68.8%)
Tuluk
30 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Voting closed: August 29, 2005, 12:15:02 AM

I am going to say allanak. HOwever, due to experience, lots of people play more intresting roles in tuluk.

Also allanak's popularity is a bit higher due to the rinth.

Disreguarding all the people from the rinth.
What city is more popular.

Tuluk or Allanak?

Poll is for 60 days due to the time sensitivy of the question.

You got it all wrong, TL.

Redstorm's where its at.

Redstorm is pretty cool.
Veteran Newbie

Allanak, man.

Down with Tuluk.  Down with bunnyhuggery.  Up with public executions!
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Steinal
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Well, the rinth is a -large- part of what makes Allanak so special to me. Without it, alot of the intrigue would be lost, so I couldn't really consider Allanak south itself as a viable option. Nevertheless, even without the 'rinth, I think I'd choose Nak simply because I'm more of a nakki kind of player. None of that keep-it-to-yourself-until-a-better-time sentiment that seems prevalent with Tuluki play, although it could be smarter in some situations.  :roll:
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Mal Krian.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Malifaxis"Steinal
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

The other side of the silt sea.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Popularity tends to shift back and forth.  A lot of players will alternate cities when they make new characters.  Though, this poll and the recent anti-Tuluki-nobility thread makes me wonder what's going wrong up there.

Quote from: "Tamarin"Mal Krian.

I had the priviliage of playing the last son of Mal Krian.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Luir's is always where it's at.

I like playing in the opposite city as thecurrent templar that is pretty much a homicidal maniac currently lives in.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "sacac"I like playing in the opposite city as thecurrent templar that is pretty much a homicidal maniac currently lives in.

Wait.... they aren't ALL homicidal maniacs?

The ones who aren't should get a spanking!

Quote from: "Delirium"Luir's is always where it's at.

There is so much truth in this that it's not even funny.  I mean, an awesome fort in the middle of tribal lands that is close enough to the two main population centers as to be a survivable ride...totally cool.

Luir's is by far my favorite place for independents and hunter types.  But when I actually want city interaction I have to go with Allanak.

I enjoy Allanak over current Tuluk by a wide margin.

I enjoyed old Tuluk before the fiery cataclysm over Allanak by a wide margin.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

New Tuluk is too much like Luir's or Red Storm, with more people.

Quote from: "mansa"

I had the priviliage of playing the last son of Mal Krian.

mansa is my hero.  I want him to father my babies.  i mean my wife's babies.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "sacac"New Tuluk is too much like Luir's or Red Storm, with more people.

?  

I don't see the comparison at all.   Red Storm especially seems different in just about every way.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Noone bows. Everyone above commoner thinks they run the town.
Noone sees anyone else because they are too subtle.
Spice is Legal. All rebelled against allanak at one point in time.

I never really saw the difference.

Why would someone -like- Tuluk? Noone really seems to be defending Tuluk all that much... :roll:  Here's your chance Tuluki loyalists. Tell us why Tuluk is better than Allanak...if you can.  :lol:
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Quote from: "sacac"Noone bows. Everyone above commoner thinks they run the town.
Noone sees anyone else because they are too subtle.
Spice is Legal. All rebelled against allanak at one point in time.

I never really saw the difference.

I'm not quite sure this really accurate, as it is really trying to go to the lowest common denominator. This is kind of like saying "Every place that people live is the same because there are people and some sort of authority figure."

Who are these 'above commoners'? Nobles? Templars? No such people exist in either Luirs or Red Storm. According to the docs. only the two big cities have them. In the places where there are no nobility or templarate, yes, commoners do, in fact, run the town... or rather, specific commoners are conscripted or assigned the responsibility of upholding the laws set forth by the people who actually do run the town. There's nothing unique or odd about this. This is the way most of the tribes work: The tribes own the encampment. They delegate certain tribemembers to assist the rulemakers of the tribe in enacting the rules. Those who do not follow the rules of the tribe are ejected from the tribe, whether they be other tribemembers or visitors. (For an easily accessible IG example of this, look at the Blackwing Outpost. It is run by a -single- tribe. The heads of this tribe or whoever they appoint to be in charge of the outpost makes the rules of the outpost and ensures that they are enforced. Those who break the rules are thrown out.) If anything, the fact that they have sorceror-kings and templars and nobles, make Tuluk and Allanak -unique- within the world, since they're the only two cities existant who have such things. But they're still hardly unique in the fact that there is an authority figure, and said authority figure appoints others to enforce (or even some case make) its laws.

I'm really not exactly sure what you mean by the 'subtle' comment. If anything, I've found that Red Storm and Luirs are more alike than either of them are to Tuluk and Nak because subtlety exists in very few forms at -all-. What do you mean by no one sees anyone because they are too subtle? Do you mean that the people they are trying to see are always hiding and sneaking? I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding you, but the comment makes little sense so please clarify.

Spice is legal everywhere in the known world that I know of, including the desert right outside of Allanak. Spice is only illegal inside of Allanak. It may be illegal in other small, isolated places with leaders or cultures that disapprove of spice use, but for all intents and purposes, it's just easier and still accurate to say that in most of the known world spice IS legal. This makes Allanak the exception, not the norm.

Who rebelled against Allanak? AFAIK Allanak never had control over Red Storm to begin with so they didn't rebel. Allanak has never moved against Red Storm for uncertain reasons.

Tuluk rebelled against Allanak, because Allanak came in and took over Tuluk in a war. They did not want to be occupied by Allanak (who was the invading force) and so they rebelled against/ousted them.

I'm not 100% certain of Luirs outpost history concerning Allanak, so anyone is may want to correct me if it's not to IC, but AFAIK Allanak did not occupy Luirs (I may be mistaken on this point). The Kuraci Merchant House has always controlled it after their initial possession of it, outside of certain sections in history (such as a fairly recent span in history).

Allanak has had a past in 'conquering' or destroying other cities and outposts. Is it not natural that the original dwellers in these places did not wish Allanaki control and attempted to rebel? A more accurate statement would be 'Most of the places that were once conquered or occupied by Allanak have rebelled against them.' Though truthfully, only one specific example springs to mind and that would be Tuluk.

Quote from: "Revelations"Why would someone -like- Tuluk? Noone really seems to be defending Tuluk all that much... :roll:  Here's your chance Tuluki loyalists. Tell us why Tuluk is better than Allanak...if you can.  :lol:

Well, I like playing everywhere. I think if played in a proper fashion, each city, outpost, village, encampment and even the barren wastes have their own benefits and drawbacks. Here's some reasons of why I like playing in Tuluk:

1. The nobles are more accessible. Not always friendlier or nicer, but they are more willing to work -with- you, if they are your patron. This shifts the power play in, I hate to use the term but it fits, subtle ways, and you don't even need to be outright employed by your patron to have them as a patron. Power becomes more dynamic based on your actions toward the city or your patron as a whole (your talents reflecting on their choice to patron you) than simple favor or on a whim. Favor is then handed out accordingly. For example, I may have a character who is patroned by a noble. Said noble may actually value my services more than the services his employees provide to him, because my service may fill a niche which is of more -value- to him than his aide. Thusly, even though his aide is accorded power and value through his employ, I may still have more power through the patronship and the noble may value my input as having greater 'weight'. This may not be the case in all respects, but from the roles I have played, I have seen this occur.

2. Templars are both more approachable and more frighteningly unpredictable. They may not cut your hand off, but you never know if they're asking you to go for a walk to the tavern, or to disappear you where no one is looking. I'm not sure how much of the case it is now, but in one of the most amusing scenes I ever saw in the new Tuluk, a templar who was offended by the behavior of a commoner did not cause any bodily damage through them, but instead ordered them, by way of punishment, to effectively publically and repeatedly humiliate themselves in a way that both entertained the onlookers to the event and caused frustration, embarassment and inconvenience to the offender.

3. A slightly more elevated standard of living. For some reason, the cost of water isn't as high as Allanak. People still go hungry, but the land is still fertile enough to provide a wide array of game and plants so starvation and dehydration, both still very real problem, aren't quite as glaringly obvious of one as in Allanak. It's far from idyllic, but it allows people who don't want to play in a clan that provides everything for them some ability to survive a little easier.

4. Arts and crafts! Tuluk elevates art and artists to have as important of a place in society as hunters, craftspeople and everyone else. Just as a good hunter can pull in a lot of sid for themselves, a good bard can easily make a living on their own talents. Unlike Allanak, where art is (or should be) a passable second job (but don't expect to make or break the bank on it), or possibly just another talent that makes you useful in the eyes of a noble. A noble in Tuluk may simply patron a bard for their specific talent in a certain artistic aspect, and that is the sole service they're required to perform... even if they're not outright hired as an employee! I don't know, but to me, that's one of the coolest aspects of the patronage system. If I play a bard, or a shoecrafter, or whatnot, I'm playing a -bard (or shoecrafter) specifically. I'm not playing a bard so I can bard in my spare time in between running errands for a noble, or trying to meet with the three people who have to meet with me on behalf of my noble or the various sundry tasks expected of me being everything BUT a bard.

5. Spice and various intoxicating substances are legal! Well granted, they're legal everywhere but in Allanak, but since we're specifically comparing Tuluk to Allanak, spice is legal!  And the beverages are much tastier. Oh, and the vices are much more apparent and enjoyed with relish.

6. The nobles are restricted from being complete horndogs with the commoner populace. So f-me's don't really have employment advantages in regards to their melon-sized conical breasts, ass-length silky hair and flawless skin.  (This is extremely tongue-in-cheek.) But on a more serious note, if you want to play an aide to a noble and templar and not feel as though you have no other choice but to be their lovetoy, it's pretty cool to have that aspect diminished. In other words, Lord Fancypants Tenneshi isn't going to favor you because you can boink like a heated tregil.

7. For anyone who likes to find neat stuff in shops (like myself), there are markets and shops all over Tuluk. I'm not even talking about very expensive, embroidered silkiness. Just lots and lots of neat stuff everywhere to be bought and sold. This makes it much easier to customize a character when starting a new one than Allanak, that I've found.

There are other reasons. There are also drawbacks to Tuluk but the question was find some benefits so there's some benefits. Of course, I don't prefer playing anywhere... I like everything, as long as it fits my character concept well. You can find fun -anywhere-, but you need to do the looking. My opinion has always been that if you require others to make things fun or better for you, you're going to end up bored sooner or later. My recommendation would be to create at least one long-lived character in most locations in the known world and with an open mind. You truly do get an appreciation for the differences and have fun with those differences by doing so.

Quote from: "Whira's Luck"3. A slightly more elevated standard of living. For some reason, the cost of water isn't as high as Allanak. People still go hungry, but the land is still fertile enough to provide a wide array of game and plants so starvation and dehydration, both still very real problem, aren't quite as glaringly obvious of one as in Allanak. It's far from idyllic, but it allows people who don't want to play in a clan that provides everything for them some ability to survive a little easier.
I can understand that you like this, but for me it contributes to why Tuluk is a downer.

My current PC is not playing in Tuluk.  My previous one did.  My previous one I could barely find the strength to login and go kill things (it was a combat PC for a change of pace from 1 1/2 years of a social PC) or to roleplay.  This current PC is playing in a tough spot without the available resources of Tuluk.  The dichotomy between the two regions is great but when you factor in that PCs are expected to display subtlety in their actions it tends to create a scenario where the world seems a whole lot easier.  Immediate and savage reprisal certainly feels more threatening than the idea of a dagger in the night, since that dagger might never come because the right people aren't logged in at the right time.

So here I am playing a PC that is literally scraping by, counting every sid and feeling pressure to make good on every trip out of the location.  Hey he's got to worry about paying around 4x as much for water than Tuluk as well as covering his stable fees.  I can't stop playing this PC because the struggle is what is so compelling.  I also know that I will have a feeling of accomplishment if this PC can survive where he currently is and go on to thrive in some measure.

Contrasted with Tuluk, where water and food are plentiful and water much cheaper, the weather isn't as bad and the death rate to Templars/militia seems really, really low I sumrised that my reasons for not feeling compelled to login were the result of not getting a thrill from the struggle.  Survival in Tuluk is a given, especially if you are playing a guild with the skills to take advantage of the more abundant flora.

Obviously a tembo can kill you as quick as a buffed up beetle can, but Tuluk lacks one of the things that the southern player locations have going for them, a greater danger from the environment itself due to the lack of resources or area to forage for those resources.