Most popular City

Started by Thunder Lord, June 30, 2005, 12:15:02 AM

Currently, what is the most popular city?

Allanak
66 (68.8%)
Tuluk
30 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Voting closed: August 29, 2005, 12:15:02 AM

Quote from: "CRW"<snipped for brevity>

I know, and that's one of the advantages of playing in Allanak. However, it is not necessarily a disadvantage of playing in Tuluk, since there are ways to make it more difficult for yourself (it boils down to just because it's coded, doesn't mean you NEED to take advantage of it) and still enjoy the benefits of Tuluk. I didn't mean to say by my list that they were advantages and that Allanak didn't have it meant that it puts Allanak at a disadvantage, Allanak has its own benefits which may actually be opposite to a similar advantage that Tuluk offers. I think that playing realistically in Tuluk, you would find a slightly better standard of living as opposed to the same play in Allanak. However, I'd -still- say that if you are raking sid in hand over fist by doing things like lumberjacking and hunting, chances are, you're not exactly being very realistic about it.

Scraping by IS a thrilling experience, and should be. But I'm not always going to be interested in such a thing. I've been in situations (in both places) where scraping by wasn't thrilling, it was an absolute chore, and that made me not want to play. It all depends on the character and what you're hoping to get out of the experience. But I don't think saying that that advantage is a 'bad thing' is necessarily cutting it as a reason, since it's just as easy to amass ridiculous amounts of money in Allanak... provided you know what you're doing and how to do it.

I suppose in the aspect of scraping by being a good thing we can agree, though it doesn't necessarily dictate that having an easier time of scraping by is, conversely, a bad thing. Just a different thing.

QuoteI suppose in the aspect of scraping by being a good thing we can agree, though it doesn't necessarily dictate that having an easier time of scraping by is, conversely, a bad thing. Just a different thing.

I hate this game.  It's too hard.

*snicker*  Sorry, just had to do it, bro :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

There are a few things I enjoy much more about Tuluk than Allanak.

The first is the subtlety issue: many people say it doesn't exist, but I've seen it in action and it's great. There is outright, straight-forward fear of powerful people in Allanak; in Tuluk it is more of a lurking horror. In Allanak you generally know who's out to kill you (and in turn, who you better kill soon). In Tuluk, even your friends have a price on you.

The second is nationalism. Whenever I've played in Allanak I've never felt a sense that my character was really, deeply, Allanaki. There was a fear/hate of outsiders, but never a sense of belonging. Basically my Allanaki commoners have feared everything, from foreigners to their own slums to their rulers. In Tuluk, there's a very strong us-versus-them feeling that I don't get from Allanak. It's much more fun to play a racist, nationalist southern-hater.

The third is a sense of adventure, which is a nice change from Allanaki grit. There's intrigue in both cities, but in Allanak I am often more concerned with the struggle to survive than the struggle to achieve. This isn't to say that my Tulukis live any longer than my Allanakis, but there's a definite sense that Tulukis can get up to grand and far-reaching adventures. Whether that's irrational or not, it's the feeling I get when I play there.

The fourth is the accessibility of the nobles. In Allanak my commoners tend to fear the nobles, and rightly so. They don't want to please them so much as just suck up enough to not earn a public flogging. In Tuluk, my characters often feel more motivated to please the nobles and rise in prestige as a particular noble's favourite.

These have a lot to do with cultural traditions. Tulukis have stronger traditions binding them to the city, which fuels nationalism; the patronage system encourages characters to go out of their way to please nobles, rather than just escape their notice. These reasons are also strongly tied to the existence of northern nobility itself, which is why I wouldn't want to see the PC nobility up there phased out. To a certain extent, I get much of the same feeling from playing in the 'Rinth, ironically enough: us-versus-them mentality, strong sense of belonging, drive to please superiors and gain prestige. While I enjoy the Allanaki slaving-just-to-have-water role, I also enjoy the opportunity to play something more epic-feeling, even if those epicly-aspiring northern barbarians always get eaten by tembos on day seven anyway.

I find the game to be more than simply surviving. If you are comparing Tuluk to Allanak on the basis of which has the harsher environment, Allanak will win. Less resources. Does that make one intrinsically better than the other, no. Just different. Different people will enjoy different things. There are dangers on both sides.

If you want danger in Tuluk, try being a hermit deep in the grey forest. I've had buff delfs that wouldn't go in there. If the comment is that it is harder for someone to gather resources in 'Nak than Tuluk, in some ways there are right, in some wrong. In 'nak, obsidian mining is very lucrative. Yes you can get logs in Tuluk, but you don't have a ready made, 50 sid a big log place to sell the stuff every time that you do in 'nak. I could easily put more money in the bank in 'nak than I could in Tuluk. Someone else said this at one time, I forget who. "Any system can be tweaked if you know how".

I also see a lot of self fulfilling prophecy at work here. People that like an in your face type of world, where everyone "hates" (yep, that word again) everyone else, tend to want to go where they feel they will encounter people like that. Is it any wonder that Allaank has culture that it does? How many times have we head the statement "I'll only play in Allanak" , obviously this person is not around to influence Tuluk's playerbase. Basically what goes on here is a big clique' thing. People gravitate around like minded people. Human nature. This is neither a good nor bad thing, just a thing.

Me I put down Tuluk because it fits my style, however I like the fact that there is a distinct feel to each city. While I agree Tuluk lacks an edge, which I think it needs, I would hate to see Tuluk be a mirror of Allanak. The uniqueness of each city needs to be preserved, with each being a viable and interesting location to play.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

It might just be me, but some of the good points that you have for Tuluk actually are my bad points for it. I guess there's only two sides to this, from what I've read so far, the side that dislikes what Tuluk has, and the side that likes what Tuluk has.

Quote from: "jstorrie"I also enjoy the opportunity to play something more epic-feeling, even if those epicly-aspiring northern barbarians always get eaten by tembos on day seven anyway.

Allanak is more "epic-feeling" to me exactly because of the seperateness and lack of strong loyal devotion to anything significant. In those circumstances, loyalties would belong to yourself, more than for a group, which is the Tuluki sentiment that I believe is being implied. Because there is a stronger "you vs. all" mentality, OOCly, I think players could strive more for their own goals than if they were under an obligation for a "greater cause", thus leading to more plots generated from peoples' own ambitions to get themselves better than the rest. OOCly, I think it's a lot more fun in this manner, and so more enjoying.

Also, although Tuluki nobles being more closer to the commoners than Nakki nobility could be a good thing, at least for me the huge gap between a Nakki noble and commoner feels more Zalanthis. Aside from the feeling, the benefits of having such a gap in Allanak is that it gives a bigger sense of mystery to nobles in the perspective of commoner PCs who can only hear the rumors of the activities of the nobility.

And, although wanting to please your noble might be better than fearing your noble in terms of enhanced performance, the OOC experience of having to face a feared noble over a buddy-buddy noble is alot more enjoyable, and at times just as functional as a closer relationship.

And for subtlety, although Allanak isn't known for it, it makes up for the lack of it for more of a straight-forward approach which leaves things out in the open for more hands to be invovled. And, although it isn't apart of this thread, if there were a more concentrated force of nobles, I think the atmosphere around such characters would broil with weaving schemes and plots.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

I say take this thing to Ic and start a war over it  (again)

the city that wins is the better city which will be TULUK
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

I voted *twice*

/me snickers

I really didn't mean to but uh. yeah...
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

I hear a lot of people talking about how around Allanak things are more difficult because there aren't the resources, (plant -and- animal), like there are around Tuluk. While this is true, I would also like to point out that the further north you go, the more things there are that will track you down and hunt you to your death.  :shock:

I have a question, how is this possible?

Quote from: "Politically incorrect vote mark"
Allanak    70% [ 55 ]
Tuluk         29% [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 78

+29
-------

wtf?

you're counting percentages.. you'd need to add 55 + 23.. there you got your 78
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "Dark Lightning"I have a question, how is this possible?

Quote from: "Politically incorrect vote mark"
Allanak    70% [ 55 ]
Tuluk         29% [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 78

+29
-------

wtf?

Simple.  This is only listing whole percents, leaving the decimal point out.  The real numbers would be, say, 70.31337% to Allanak and 29.68663% to Tuluk.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?