Did you notice this?

Started by mansa, February 07, 2005, 02:54:25 AM

A long standing bug in movement has been fixed (we hope).  When following
 someone faster than you, you will no longer accumulate unending lag but
 will instead fall behind them and stop following after a few rooms.

I just did now.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yeah, I did.

Woohoo!
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I also noticed this new feature and I have a somewhat problem with it. I noticed while following someone who was walking I was lagging horribly and the stats for my character are -very- extordinary for a PC. So, it was kinda odd to me.. Any ideas?
We shall step up preparations for possible military struggle and enhance our capabilities to cope with crises, safeguard peace, prevent wars and win the wars if any," Hu

I give this man much respect for this comment.

I think it should not apply to stats, if you are both of the same race and walking on foot.

I agree, a running elf is going to make a difference against everything else.  Or someone riding an inix to someone riding an erdlu.  But not with some random man of high stats to some random man with low stats
some of my posts are serious stuff

Stats & race has nothing to do with this.  My understanding of the code is rudimentary, but I believe this has to do with how fast the leader is inputting commands (also known as stacking), and how the mud processes them.  

Under the old system, if the leader entered: e, e, e, e, e, e, e, e, e, e very quickly, you (follower) would be stuck following him until the mud finishes this series of commands.  With this new fix (it's actually old code that was broken), when the mud detects, for the lack of better word, that you're unable to keep up and/or lagged because of the command stacking, it unhitches you.

That's basically what's going on here.  If I'm not clear, apologies.  If you're falling behind often, maybe you should tell your leader to slow down.
-Ashyom

Does this also apply if you're shadowing someone, and they don't know you're on their tail?  I'd hate to lose out to this simply because someone spammed north 50 times.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Good question.  I'll check with the coders on that to make sure the code has accounted for that.
-Ashyom

My understanding is that it checks how you & the leader are moving (from room to room), and has nothing to do with the manner in which you begin following (follow, shadow, hitch, etc.).  But I did not code this, so that is heresay.

It would perhaps be useful to let us know if you find bugs with this, more than ask for each check to be revealed & its inner workings explained.  Some delay should still be accepted as intentional, but should be measured on the order of seconds before falling behind, rather than minutes and NOT falling behind.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]