-The- Raiding post.

Started by Moofassa, January 20, 2005, 02:22:54 PM

QuoteI am extremely thankful to that player for pointing out to me that roleplaying *potential* conflict can be just as fun and immersive as anything else, no matter what the outcome is. Because, you never know WHAT that outcome will be, if you continue to run from the meeting.

Exactly how I feel about it and why I become extremely frustrated with people who spam leave the instant someone enters the room with them.

Doing that, cuts off all possibility of rp with each other...for better or worse.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Although I should add...

If I ever see something like this:

QuoteThe dead-looking but immense and enormous halfgiant has arrived from the west, his tree-trunk-sized bludgeon-o-doom raised overhead and aimed toward your face.

I hope you will forgive me for not taking a moment to express my character's fear.

run
w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;

<shudder>

Chicken/egg problem.

People won't run when they trust raiders to roleplay.  Raiders blasting the running person because he/she didn't roleplay won't help this.

Raider players can speed this - keep raiding without feeling you have to slaughter if someone runs.  Surviving that event may give them confidence to give you a few seconds the next time.  A few roleplay with you instead of running...  Eventually one posts "thanks!" on the board, and general raider reputation goes up.  Repeat for a while...  And cry when some powergaming tard generates posts that lower player faith in the roleplay of raiders.

The only "permanent" way to "fix" this, is to impose staff repercussions on both sides when poor actions are taken.

(When I played a pseudo-roleplayed raider, it was condoned and supported by certain ex-members of staff.  I assume this doesn't occur anymore.)

QuoteSurviving that event may give them confidence to give you a few seconds the next time.

That's if they don't do what usually happens and go plaster your sdesc all over the boards or spread it around to every pc they know because they were somehow able to see you clearly through your facewrap,mask, and hood or whathaveyou.

IMO, the ones that will run away with no rp whatsoever when you try to rp it out with them are also the same ones that are the x-ray twinks.

The only sure way to prevent your character from being destroyed by a single poor roleplayer is to make sure they die when they refuse to rp it out with you.

It's not chicken and the egg, not all at IMO. As I said before...it's much easier to get away...and as such more of the responsiblity to keep the avenues for rp open lies on the shoulders of the victim.

You don't have to agree with me, but this is the way I see it and will always see it until something is done to make it harder for wounded people to escape and it is made harder to flee against a more skilled opponent.

The threaten idea mentioned sounds interesting, I do think it has the potential for abuse though.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"
Rhyden, if you insist on "just shooting" plan on your attackee to "just run."

The faster you shoot the arrows, the more they think "Spam shooter" and I wouldn't even stay around for that even if I had a guy that went matrix every time he saw an arrow come at him.

That's not the problem, Maybe. The original problem was for the attackee to "just run" with 4+ arrows stuck into their body. That -is- a problem.

I am not defending the runner by the way, but try to corresponde with them via a Psi or shout and I will back you a 100% and stab that spam runner in the back with a spoon.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

One thing to consider. Just becaue your sdesc is available because of xray twinks.  IT leavea  high possiblity...but that doesnt mean people reading the rumor board won't be cool.  They might take your sdesc as somethign vauge.

Trust.
Veteran Newbie

Sdescs are never taken as something vague.  That's why I usually try to describe a character by anything BUT their sdesc, unless it's ridiculously blatant.

People can try to ignore it, but once they see "And her hair was the color of flame" on a board, they're going to have flashing red lights whenever they see a flame-colored PC, it's an effort.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I get you completely Larrath. I'm merely trying to instill at least some extra degree, as its not always that those who are let to get away will be xray superheores in spandex leaping hundred foot walls with a militia sword...but...yes.

Now, it's possible. So, letting someone get away isn't too bad.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "Linedel"Chicken/egg problem.

People won't run when they trust raiders to roleplay.  Raiders blasting the running person because he/she didn't roleplay won't help this.

Raider players can speed this - keep raiding without feeling you have to slaughter if someone runs.  Surviving that event may give them confidence to give you a few seconds the next time.  A few roleplay with you instead of running...  Eventually one posts "thanks!" on the board, and general raider reputation goes up.  Repeat for a while...  And cry when some powergaming tard generates posts that lower player faith in the roleplay of raiders.

In all the cases when people have spam-run away from me, it's when I was in the middle of typing an emote.

In my opinion, this whole problem is entirely the victim's fault.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "ERS"In my opinion, this whole problem is entirely the victim's fault

You obviously haven't had one of your new PCs butchered by an insta-attacking raider lately.  Others have.  Explain how it was their fault, please?

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I've never fled from an encounter in the wilds, -and- I've never been raided. Everytime I meet someone, I seriously pray that they are a well-played raider: it would be extremely fun (my characters are usually boring). You may say - oh, well you role-play all of your characters identically. The answer is .... no, I role-play out the encounter given the personality. Just because my character would run, doesn't mean I would -spam- flee. Instead, I offer a few emotes and usually the other person simply rides by with little to offer. Given all of the above....

QuoteIn all the cases when people have spam-run away from me, it's when I was in the middle of typing an emote.

In my opinion, this whole problem is entirely the victim's fault.

Right, because every raider out there is well role-played.

Semper Pax,

Dirr

Quote from: "Seeker"You obviously haven't had one of your new PCs butchered by an insta-attacking raider lately.  Others have.  Explain how it was their fault, please?

You're right, I haven't.  Do you know why?  Because whenever someone walks up and tries to off me, I flee.  And it's easy as hell, too.  If they throw in an emote while they're at it, then I'll add a one too.  Then I'll flee.

I've NEVER died because I didn't spamwalk to the city the instant I saw a figure enter the room.  If you're in a situation where your opponent is so powerful that you will die if you don't spam-flee away, then your opponent deserves to kill you.  But the odds of this happening are unlikely as hell, and if your opponent is that powerful?  Well, you deserve to die.
Back from a long retirement